all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Beginner's first KB program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Why not upload a vid and we'll give you feedback?

This situation perfectly fits the saying "understanding is a delaying tactic"

Getting the feeling I'm making some big mistakes with this idea for a program.

You're not making big mistakes, just small ones.

You're just likely to outgrow your currently designed program very very quickly.

You're at the prime age of life (18-25 years old) for gaining strength incredibly rapidly.

I'd recommend do your pushups form an elevation (roughly knee height) get a new baseline

Follow the fighter pushup program based on your baseline testing..

That will get you strong enough to be able to use a 16kg

I had a trainee wherein she started doing 6 pushups and did 2 cycles got up to 15 pushups and cranked out 6 reps in her double 16kg press

I'd recommend do your pushups form an elevation (roughly knee height) get a new baseline

Follow the fighter pushup program based on your baseline testing..

That will get you strong enough to be able to use a 16kg

I had a trainee wherein she started doing 6 pushups and did 2 cycles got up to 15 pushups and cranked out 6 reps in her double 16kg press
If I do that and get to the point of using a 16kg, is my idea for a program more reasonable?

If I do that and get to the point of using a 16kg, is my idea for a program more reasonable?

You're an untrained newbie male lifter at peak age.

Practically any program you do will be lead to strength gains as long as it is challenging, and you have good nutrition and rest*.

In your situation, you could do nothing but increasingly heavy weighted carries for a month and you would still have gains.

Don't worry about trying to perfect a program, any program, so much your first time. Just make sure it's not trivially easy.

*even this is debatable....I had horrible nutrition in my 20s, drank a lot, had erratic sleep patterns, and still put on 20+ pounds of muscle between 18-22. Testosterone is a powerful thing.

You're an untrained newbie male lifter at peak age.

Practically any program you do will be lead to strength gains as long as it is challenging, and you have good food and rest.

In your situation, you could do nothing but increasingly heavy weighted carries for a month and you would still have gains.

Don't worry about trying to perfect a program, any program, so much your first time. Just make sure it's not trivially easy.
Do you think my program seems like it'd become - or even be from the start - trivially easy if I went on as planned?

1 cln 1 sqt 1 press with your 8 and 10 kg, 5 sets of 5, 3 days a week, switch bells each set, rest btwn sets as needed.
10 power push ups with hands elevated as needed, alternate with 1/1 Get Ups, 5-10 rounds, 2 days a week, rest btwn sets as needed
The other two days go for walks, or bike ride, or walk/jog 30 mins or so, HR at 180- your age.

Add to what these intelligent gents have said, many start hitting strength spurts at 22-25

there will be weeks that you feel you are not making any progress and then boom...gains come in like crazy..

Seen this countless times with guys in their 20s and even up to guys in their early 30s

Alright, here it is: Push-up

Good start @Mariowastaken! I'd say get tighter, bring the elbows in towards your sides (triceps push-up), and use an elevation so you can get 5 good reps really pushing hard with each rep. I would start students out on stacks of aerobic steps at the gym and lower the elevation as they got stronger. The technique taught and practiced by StrongFirst is different than most people do push-ups, and it's a little harder to start with (I start many students out with 3 sets of 5 on the wall -- still effective if you do them right!) but it will get you stronger in the long run.

Good article:

Check out @Karen Smith's video series (This is part 1 but you can find more in the series if you search her channel)

1 cln 1 sqt 1 press with your 8 and 10 kg, 5 sets of 5, 3 days a week, switch bells each set, rest btwn sets as needed.
10 power push ups with hands elevated as needed, alternate with 1/1 Get Ups, 5-10 rounds, 2 days a week, rest btwn sets as needed
The other two days go for walks, or bike ride, or walk/jog 30 mins or so, HR at 180- your age.
What happened to edit button? Cln-sqt-prs are with doubles if possible, switch bells each set meant 8 in rt hand,10 in left,switch next set.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom