all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Beginning Calisthenics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AlphaTrainer

First Post
Hey all,
I’m 16 years old and very interested in starting calisthenics. However, I am unable to do a single pull up and I max out my regular push ups after 10 reps. What can I do to improve my strength in both aspects, and how can I improve my fitness to start trying more advanced movements like the L-Sit?
Thanks!

Also, I weight 71kg (6’2”), and my goal for January/February would be to do an unassisted muscle up.

@AlphaTrainer, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

IMHO, your goal is much too high given your time frame, and not everyone _ever_ achieves a muscle-up. One thing at a time - let’s get you your first pull-up, then increase that number, and let’s get you strong overall by doing a basic program like S and S or PTTP.

-S-

IMHO, your goal is much too high given your time frame, and not everyone _ever_ achieves a muscle-up. One thing at a time - let’s get you your first pull-up, then increase that number, and let’s get you strong overall by doing a basic program like S and S or PTTP.

-S-
Thanks very much, I realise I had quite a high expectation haha. What would you recommend for achieving my first pull ups? What time frame would be expected? (I get that a time frame would be difficult to predict from person to person)

-S-
Also, could you please elaborate on the programs you mentioned?

Hey all,
I’m 16 years old and very interested in starting calisthenics. However, I am unable to do a single pull up and I max out my regular push ups after 10 reps. What can I do to improve my strength in both aspects, and how can I improve my fitness to start trying more advanced movements like the L-Sit?
Thanks!

Also, I weight 71kg (6’2”), and my goal for January/February would be to do an unassisted muscle up.
Welcome to the forum.
I agree with Steve, that a muscle up in this timeframe is perhaps not realistic.
HOWEVER: getting stronger is very realistic in that timeframe!
If calisthenics/strength gymnastics/bodyweight is the training modality that you like, then there are several ways to get stronger, I will limit my suggestions to S1 resources:
1) The Naked Warrior. Book by Pavel Tsatsouline the s1 founder.
2) Articles here on S1 by various trainers, ex. Karen Smith: How to Progress Yourself to Your First Pull-up | StrongFirst
These are good starting points. As Steve says, your goal right now should be to just get stronger overall. A barbell is a great tool for that, as is the kettlebell. But good overall strength can also be achieved by bodyweight.

No time frame. Plan the work then work the plan

S and S is Kettlebell Simple and Sinister. PTTP is Power To The People!

-S-

Hey all,
Thanks!

I've never done a muscle up in my life and I'm good at callisthenics I think. A muscle up is a skill move but no stronger than doing dips and pullups separately. This is said by lots of people who do them including Al Kavadlo a famous trainer in New York.

When doing pushups it is recommended to keep your elbows close to your ribs. Try doing sets of 5-10 reps, but doing 5-10 sets! While away from my weights for a few months once, I did 10 sets of 10 strict pushups every morning, and it was quite effective in maintaining strength. When you get good at this, get a stool and do your sets of pushups with your feet on a stool - this is a significantly harder exercise and better for strength building.

For pullups, start by just holding onto the bar straight and trying to do some leg raises. Remember that chinups are easier than pullups, so start with eventually attempting a chinup rather than a pullup.

It's always recommended that you discuss any ideas you have about exercise with your physician before starting, and it's also advisable that you learn how to do the moves properly from a strength coach. I spoke with my physician several times before and during my early stages of weight training.

-S-
I agree. While there's stuff one can accomplish without any equipment for sure, I doubt getting hold of a barbell or kettlebell is outside the budget of most people these days. Callisthenics is always great stuff, but it's just so much faster to get in shape with weights playing at least a significant part in the training!

Hey man - welcome to calisthenics!

For pull-ups, I second the advice of just hanging on to a bar for time at the moment. Start with holding yourself in place before trying to pull up.

Consider Australian pull-ups/horizontal rows (same thing as far as I know) to help build the pulling strength.

In calisthenics, it’s all about taking one movement and going through progressions/regressions to make it harder or easier. An example for the push-up: very easiest would be a standing push-up against a wall, then progress to pushing on a chair, then the floor.

Convict Conditioning and the subreddit r/bodyweightfitness have lots of progression options.

hey young man.

I was doing 15 pullups before I could do my first muscle-up. And it took quite a bit of practice as well... but if you need to get to >10 pullups realistically before you can do a MU.

As for progressions if you cannot do 1 pull-up now, the book Your Body is Your Barbell will teach the progressions to get there. There are numerous other books and youtube videos for that as well.

To hit your target of a MU by Jan/Feb 2019 = not impossible but I wouldn't stake my life on it! If you are willing to put in the CONSISTENT work it will come though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom