all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Beginning Simple and Sinister Questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Spikeman1444

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello SF,

I have been practicing my prying goblet squats, swings and naked get ups everyday for about a week now. I had a friend of mine who was an RKC check my form and he said all good! I have been reading and re-reading Simple and Sinister 2.0 plus reading the articles here on StrongFirst. I do have two questions before I officially begin the program proper.
  1. Are there any additional stretches one should work on other than the 90/90 stretch and the QL Straddle?
  2. What other books should I read in addition to Simple and Sinister in order to enhance my strength training journey?
Thank you, Spikeman1444

Welcome aboard

1. I'd do the hip flexor stretch
2. How deep have you gone in s and s? I'd focus on understanding it more and getting a lot of practice before adding something new to read. Remember the goal is inch wide, mile deep

1. Are there any additional stretches one should work on other than the 90/90 stretch and the QL Straddle?
  2. What other books should I read in addition to Simple and Sinister in order to enhance my strength training journey?
1. I found myself benefiting from body weight prying squats throughout the day. Just getting into the bottom of a squat stance and pressing against my elbows against my knees and inner thigh while keeping a strong straight back.
2. The discussion of energy systems in Q&D was beneficial for understanding the effects of different amounts of rest between sets. And the discussion of hyper irradiation in power to the people was beneficial for exploring my ability to achieve higher amounts of tension both to serve the swing and the and getups. Also, the discussion about breathing.

Hello SF,

I have been practicing my prying goblet squats, swings and naked get ups everyday for about a week now. I had a friend of mine who was an RKC check my form and he said all good! I have been reading and re-reading Simple and Sinister 2.0 plus reading the articles here on StrongFirst. I do have two questions before I officially begin the program proper.
Thank you, Spikeman1444
Hey spike, I’m around 3 months into S&S. I do the worlds greatest stretch ( google it ), prying squat, (20kg x 30s ) then a paused goblet squat at the bottom without my elbows against my knees (20kg x 30s ), I find it forces your whole body to brace hard. Some shoulder dislocates with a band and then PVC pipe overhead squats. Doesn’t take long and for me covers all bases.

If you add, don’t add much and make sure it doesn’t stall your progress. I have just added the kettlebell mile once a week, though if I find it stalls my progress I’ll push it to once every 2 weeks and if I have a busy week I’ll prioritise S&S over the carries. Im used to and really like carries though, so it’s not new to me.

Thank you all for responding! Sorry for the late reply, work has a habit of taking my attention. I woke up today and suddenly it was halfway through October.
1. I'd do the hip flexor stretch
As in the kneeling hip flexor stretch or do you have another recommendation?

All great suggestions above. The only thing I will leave you with is this quote that has inspired me many times (and still does)
"We often avoid taking action because we think "I need to learn more," but the best way to learn is often by taking action."
Now you have sufficient information to get started, the rest you will learn as you go along. Good luck on your journey.

How does this look for an ideal S&S day? Also, is it permissible on days where I won't be doing S&S (super time crunched) to just perform the warm up and the night time stretches? Sorry if my questions are too rudimentary, but just want to makes sure I'm not violating any principles. I want to do this right.
  • Warm Up
    • Joint Circles and Bar Shoulder dislocates
    • Simple and Sinister Warm Up
    • Apply Chalk from Here on Out
    • Start using rubber bands between sets for extensors
  • Swings
    • 10(10) 16kg Swings
  • Turkish Get Ups
    • 5(1) 16kg Turkish Get Ups
  • Before Bed
    • 90/90 Stretch
    • QL Straddle Stretch
    • Hang from Pull Up Bar
    • Apply Corn Huskers Lotion

How does this look for an ideal S&S day? Also, is it permissible on days where I won't be doing S&S (super time crunched) to just perform the warm up and the night time stretches? Sorry if my questions are too rudimentary, but just want to makes sure I'm not violating any principles. I want to do this right.
  • Warm Up
    • Joint Circles and Bar Shoulder dislocates
    • Simple and Sinister Warm Up
    • Apply Chalk from Here on Out
    • Start using rubber bands between sets for extensors
  • Swings
    • 10(10) 16kg Swings
  • Turkish Get Ups
    • 5(1) 16kg Turkish Get Ups
  • Before Bed
    • 90/90 Stretch
    • QL Straddle Stretch
    • Hang from Pull Up Bar
    • Apply Corn Huskers Lotion
This is basically perfect. Personally, I would add in the OS Resets that @blad51 mentioned as a warm up and echo the advice about filming yourself but, you are basically good to go.
Enjoy!

You're doing fine. Just keep at it.

You'll know what needs to be adjusted as you'll feel the signals your body is giving if you listen closely ..

You'll also make form adjustments as you see if you video your sessions.

I'm back with a question :
  1. For the QL Straddle, Pavel says if we're are tight (which I am) to hold on to a bungee cord attached to a stationary object. Which hand are we holding on to the bungee cord with? The one reaching overhead or the one that's anchored to the ground?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom