all posts post new thread

Bells & Blubber

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Glad to see you, Mo04! Love the title! Lol, I wish I'd have thought of that for my own log.
Good luck on your journey! Looks like we're heading the same way... S&S then ROP. See you there!

Warm-up: pump stretch, goblet squat, bridge, halos.

Swings - 16kg
Set 1: 2H 10 reps
Sets 2-10: 2T+4L+4R (2 reps Two hands, 4 reps 1H Left, 4 reps 1H Right = 10 reps)

TGU - 16kg: 5 sets 1L+1R

Cool down: Brettzel, 90/90, QL

Notes:
Swings: trying to transition from 2H to 1H. Finding 1H quite challenging. So far this month 1H’s have been exclusively Dead Stop swings.

Today, tried doing continuous 1H swings (instead of 1H dead stop), with mixed results - managing to get a decent float at the top of upswing, but I’m not happy with my shoulder packing. I think I’ve managed to address my shoulder shrugging (upwards). Need to focus on following tomorrow :
1. Grip: right hand seems to exhaust quicker than left.
2. Completely loosen working arm.
3. Non working arm: needs to mirror working arm. One side needs work.
4. Try to pack shoulder : working shoulder pulls outwards on upswing. Need to pull shoulder backwards into socket.

TGU: feel mostly good. Need to focus on the standing to lunge transition on the way down. Knee hurts when lunging. Doing a slightly narrower lunge to avoid knee pain.

Timing: all timeless. Everything completed in about 35-40 mins

Later in the day/wind down

Dead hangs (pull up bar)
* passive, not active
* assisted: feet on dining chair seat
* 3 sets X 30 seconds

Foam Roller:
* Neck Curvature
* Forearms
* Foam Roll upper back
* Lats
* Foam roll pec stretch
* Foam Roll TFL/glute
* Foam Roll Quad, Deep inner thigh
* Foam Roll Adductors
* Foam Roll Calf
* Hamstrings
* Shins

4. Try to pack shoulder : working shoulder pulls outwards on upswing. Need to pull shoulder backwards into socket.

This tip my SFG instructor gave me may help you as well. When doing one-arm swings, let's say with the left hand for example, try and put your right hand on top of the kettlebell at the top of the swing. Pretty much the only way you can do this is if your left shoulder is packed properly.

Did the trick for me!

This tip my SFG instructor gave me may help you as well. When doing one-arm swings, let's say with the left hand for example, try and put your right hand on top of the kettlebell at the top of the swing. Pretty much the only way you can do this is if your left shoulder is packed properly.

Did the trick for me!

Thanks David. Appreciate the tip. I will definitely incorporate it in next session: put non working hand on top of KB in the float at top of the swing - to square shoulders.

Again, thank you.

Swings - 16kg:
Sets 2-7: 2T+4L+4R (2 reps Two hands, 4 reps 1H Left, 4 reps 1H Right = 10 reps)
Set 8: 2T+3L+2T+3R
Sets 9-10: 2T+2L+2T+2R+2T
Total 100 reps: 1H swings= 62 reps, 2H swings = 38 reps

Notes:
1. OMG! Thank you David! That drill instantly corrected shoulder packing. Previously, I was putting the non working arm into the guard position on the upswing. Now I'm touching the KB with non working hand at the top of the float and it's corrected shoulder packing: both upwards (shrugging) and outward stretching. I didn't realise changing from guard to KB touch could make such a drastic improvement.

Very happy about correcting shoulder packing. Corrected about 90% of swings (at a guess). About 10% of swings still shoulder stretching outwards but this is mostly due to tiredness I think.

Going forwards, all 1H will be done with KB hand tap.

2. Was very stiff from yesterday's session. Think the jump from 36 to 72 1H swings was not the wisest of decisions. Today did 62 1H swings. Felt better.

3. Baby calluses are starting to sprout on palms at base of fingers. Didn't get any calluses doing 1H dead stop swings. They are occurring from normal swing 1H.

4. TGUs - these are feeling increasingly comfortable in terms of taxing the body. I'm not taking much rest (if any) between sets. Have a couple of past injuries (shoulder and knee) which give some trouble during the exercise but not enough to stop me training. I feel these injuries are getting ever so slightly better week by week.

Swings - 16kg:
Set 2: 2T+3L+2T+3R
Sets 3-4: 2H 10 reps
Set 5: 2T+3L+2T+3R
Set 6: 2H 10 reps
Sets 7-8: 2T+3L+2T+3R
Set 9: 2H 10 reps
Set 10: 2T+3L+2T+3R
Total 100 reps: 1H swings= 30 reps, 2H swings = 70 reps

Notes:
Today was a down day. Didn't feel like training today, especially having had a large meal earlier in the day - need to address my diet!
Anyways, pushed myself to train. Did mostly 2H swings. 2H swings felt strong.
For the few 1H swings, focused on non working hand tapping top of KB at the top of upswing.

Swings - 16kg:
Sets 2-10: 2T+3L+2T+3R
Total 100 reps: 1H swings= 54 reps, 2H swings = 46 reps

Notes:
1. Today felt more like a practice than a workout. That's a good thing.

2. 1H swing: worked on keeping KB more on the working side, and avoid centering it in the middle of my body.
- In the hike, the KB should be closer to foot of the working side, not placed in the middle in between both feet (obv KB should be placed a foot ahead of you, not literally next to your foot).
- In the back swing, the KB should make contact in the middle of the thigh, half way between groin and knee. It should not be in the center of the body (groin area).
- In top of float, the KB should not be in centre of body, it should be more on working side.
- goal is for the KB not to be switching back and forth from center to working side. Instead, it should stay constantly on working side, with no movement towards centre line. This is most efficient and keeps shoulders squared.
* I need to continue focusing on keeping the KB on the working side throughout the entire movement.

3. 1H swing: worked on trying to get a deeper hinge in 1H swings as it feels like my 2H swings have a deeper hinge than my 1H:
- worked on actively pulling the KB in every back swing to get a deeper hinge instead of relying just on gravity.
* I need to continue focusing on actively pulling the KB into the back swing and to hinge deeper.

4. 1H swing: continued to focus on tapping the KB with non working hand at top of float. It's feeling more ingrained.

5. TGU: thinking of maybe using a higher weight for one of the sets?

Later in the day/wind down

Dead hangs (pull up bar)
* passive, not active
* assisted: feet on foot stool
* 3 sets X 30 seconds

Lacrosse:
* Lacrosse Trap/Levator (neck)
* Lacrosse Suboccipitals
* Forearms
* Lacrosse Pec
* Lats
* Lacrosse Infra/Teres + rotator cuff (shoulder)
* Lacrosse QL
* Lacrosse TFL/glute
* Lacrosse Popliteus
* Lacrosse Calf, Peroneals, inside leg
* Lacrosse Plantar Fascia with Toe movement

Swings - 16kg:

Notes:
Not a good session today. Kept over thinking the 1H swings. Far too cerebral. Didnt get into a flow at all.

Did the trick for me!
I will have to try that, never heard that one before. Thanks.

Swings - 16kg:

Notes:
1. Grip is still limiting factor in 1H swings. Going to try increasing passive hangs and start farmers walks to address grip.

2. Noticed my knees are not fully locking after hip snap in upswing - for both 2H and 1H. Started consciously locking knees and felt this improved the upswing.

1. Grip is still limiting factor in 1H swings. Going to try increasing passive hangs and start farmers walks to address grip.

Mo04, here is a quote regarding grip from S&S 2.0:

Pavel Macek warns: “Many folks struggling with grip add extra grip training—only to get worse. Grip is neurologically very demanding; it needs rest, it needs lighter sessions, and the two-arm swings facilitate this. Less is, in this case, often more.”
Tsatsouline, Pavel. Kettlebell Simple & Sinister: Revised and Updated Edition (p. 123). StrongFirst, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Hi David,

Thats very interesting. Thank you.

In S&S original (v1.0) hangs are mentioned. I didn't realise they have been abrogated in v2.0 with 2H.

I'll switch over to v2.0 methodology: 2 days of 1H, and then 3rd day 2H. I'll stop doing passive hangs and not start farmer carries.

Thanks again - I appreciate it.

A couple of quick comments:
  • If your objective is to be able to swing a heavier kettlebell, and your grip is currently being challenged by the bell you are swinging, then I completely agree that you don't need more grip work - just keep swinging, and yes indeed, sometimes let your grip recover by doing 2H swings. I'd just add that there are lots of different kinds of hand strength - crushing, pinching, extension, various planes of motion of the wrist. If you were to consider adding something, maybe add something that isn't the same thing as holding a kettlebell handle.
  • Hangs have plenty of value aside from grip strength. Shoulder stability and spine decompression in particular. Here again, you might consider using a different grip during hanging to get some other angles of improvement in your hand strength. I do some hanging movements with false grip and mixed grip, seems to help avoid taking away from work that requires me to grip a barbell or kettlebell.

Hangs have plenty of value aside from grip strength. Shoulder stability and spine decompression in particular.

I totally agree; the S&S 2.0 book says as much. I don't know how much quoting is too much quoting, though, so I'll just recommend purchasing 2.0. It's much different in many ways from the original version of the book. Totally worth the very small price.

Thanks both.

I have the audiobook version of v2.0. I'm re-listening to it now as I've obviously missed parts of it.

My primary goal right now is to get 1H swings nailed down with current 16kg KB (2H swings are good at this weight) . Grip is big issue for me on 1H swings. So anything which helps with grip - including resting the grip by switching to 2H - I'll give a try and see how it goes.

I do suffer from a minor shoulder issue which hangs are helping with. I'm happy to stop the hangs for a week or two to see effect on 1H grip.

I'll also try doing the broccoli-rubber-banding between sets to see if that helps.

As suggested by WhatWouldHulkDo, I'll try different grips when I restart hangs.

Thanks again - appreciate the input and advice.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom