all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Belly Getups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

WhatWouldHulkDo

Level 8 Valued Member
Recently I noticed that I'm pretty good at getting up from the floor from my back, thanks to the TGU... but I suck at doing it from my belly.

Any suggestions on drills to work getting off the floor from lying on your belly?

This is an interesting topic. I'm trying to think of the most efficient way to get up from the belly. All the images in my head aren't incredibly graceful to be honest!

Usually people arise from this position similar by starting with a seal pushup. Hindu pushups might be good to look into a la Great Game protocol. I'd also think various components of Max Shank's flow movements such as mountain climbers with a reach (world greatest stretch) and two legged mountain climbers. I'd think the burpees you practice might also transfer well, as well as pushups from a dead start. Perhaps the neglected component is the hip mobility to get the feet planted so one can stand. This is where the mountain climbers come in. Lizard Crawls, although quite tough, could be of value there as well. Basically, spend more time on the belly and get up from there. The closest thing I practiced with this goal in mind was an explosive burpee, where during the ascent of the pushup, I'd jump (like a full body plyo pushup) and swing my legs under me, landing in a semi squat and rising from there. Hope this gives you some ideas!

Recently I noticed that I'm pretty good at getting up from the floor from my back, thanks to the TGU... but I suck at doing it from my belly.

Any suggestions on drills to work getting off the floor from lying on your belly?

Speak of the devil!
This morning's circuit, cleans with 130lbs, getups with 100lbs. Am thinking of doing these round robin with a clean, getup on that same side, swap, clean, getup, but I can clean a lot more than I can getup. These really suck the fight out of ya.

Speak of the devil!
This morning's circuit, cleans with 130lbs, getups with 100lbs. Am thinking of doing these round robin with a clean, getup on that same side, swap, clean, getup, but I can clean a lot more than I can getup. These really suck the fight out of ya.

Sandbag training looks like the least fun (read: most "uncomfortable") out of most of the usual options.

Getting up off of the belly: Pushup + lunge + stand imo.

Sandbag training looks like the least fun (read: most "uncomfortable") out of most of the usual options.

Getting up off of the belly: Pushup + lunge + stand imo.
I normally do them more like a TGU from a supine position, but my knee is still in a recovery mode, though feeling better. I can't roll across or load it from the outside like I would with a regular get-up so I've been practicing these as an alternative - this is actually the first day using them under a load - that initial lever up to the elbow is tougher than I expected!

This is an interesting topic. I'm trying to think of the most efficient way to get up from the belly. All the images in my head aren't incredibly graceful to be honest!

Usually people arise from this position similar by starting with a seal pushup. Hindu pushups might be good to look into a la Great Game protocol. I'd also think various components of Max Shank's flow movements such as mountain climbers with a reach (world greatest stretch) and two legged mountain climbers. I'd think the burpees you practice might also transfer well, as well as pushups from a dead start. Perhaps the neglected component is the hip mobility to get the feet planted so one can stand. This is where the mountain climbers come in. Lizard Crawls, although quite tough, could be of value there as well. Basically, spend more time on the belly and get up from there. The closest thing I practiced with this goal in mind was an explosive burpee, where during the ascent of the pushup, I'd jump (like a full body plyo pushup) and swing my legs under me, landing in a semi squat and rising from there. Hope this gives you some ideas!
Yeah, it's the "graceful" aspect that I'm looking for. Burpees are great for getting up from the floor powerfully... but I certainly wouldn't call my burpees graceful. More like an elephant trying to jump over a fence. It's definitely that seal/hindu pushup motions that feels awful, probably a good place to start.

Like that! That right there, that's graceful.

@North Coast Miller 's version is similar... graceful, but with a big old sack on your back. Good stuff, you guys.

I think the fastest way is to push yourself up then quickly plant you most flexible foot on the ground and press hard to launch yourself up and forwards.

Not one for your living room or garage but outside....just spring up and sprint.

To me, the masters of the belly down get-up would be surfers. They do it while balancing on water, it doesn't get more nuanced and graceful than that.
I used to do some surfing as a much younger man and I don't remember ever thinking about how to go from paddling on my stomach to getting my feet under me on the board. You just did it. Of course it became automatic and very quick.

As I try to replay what was mainly instinctive, I believe it was grab the sides of the board, lean forward on extending arms, throwing the hips up, pulling the feet underneath hips into a crouch and standing up. Seems obvious now as I write this but took much more nimbleness than I possess currently.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom