all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Belt Squat at Home?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
With a strap around my waist (dip belt would work) looped through a kettlebell. SPUD has a lot of gear for this kind of thing.

At the risk of posting something defeatist and not helpful, here are my impressions. I've been interested in the belt squat for years. I've tried the Ironmind belt and the Spud belt. I agree with Kenny that the Spud belt is way better. I ended up selling both belts on ebay because I couldn't get a good set up.

The two obstacles are what you mentioned - getting enough height for a deep squat and loading enough weight. For the height issue, plan on needing a set up that's higher than you think. Once you load weight on the belt it will sag causing it to ride lower on your hips. It doesn't help that I'm short with short legs, but still.

Loading weight has two issues. The first is how to load enough weight to get a decent training effect. If you find a solution on loading enough weight, the second problem is how to lift the weight into the proper starting position.

After trying various ideas I realized that I would need to buy more equipment to get a decent set up. I just have a squat stand and not a power rack. If I had a power rack the lever arm would be a good option I think, but I'm not about to buy a power rack just for belt squats. I now stick to single-leg work to supplement my squatting.

At the risk of posting something defeatist and not helpful, here are my impressions. I've been interested in the belt squat for years. I've tried the Ironmind belt and the Spud belt. I agree with Kenny that the Spud belt is way better. I ended up selling both belts on ebay because I couldn't get a good set up.

The two obstacles are what you mentioned - getting enough height for a deep squat and loading enough weight. For the height issue, plan on needing a set up that's higher than you think. Once you load weight on the belt it will sag causing it to ride lower on your hips. It doesn't help that I'm short with short legs, but still.

Loading weight has two issues. The first is how to load enough weight to get a decent training effect. If you find a solution on loading enough weight, the second problem is how to lift the weight into the proper starting position.

After trying various ideas I realized that I would need to buy more equipment to get a decent set up. I just have a squat stand and not a power rack. If I had a power rack the lever arm would be a good option I think, but I'm not about to buy a power rack just for belt squats. I now stick to single-leg work to supplement my squatting.

Thank you.

This is the the kind of real world disappointment I was looking for. ;)

That seems like a better engineering solution than using a landmine post.

My indy squat stands are 2" x 3", though -- perhaps it would fit sideways.
I think the pin is strong enough you should be fine with it.
You buy the lever arm I posted and use a chain with a carabiner. You just unclip to start your set and clip it in when you're done. Won't work with your squat stands, or I assume it won't but it is a pretty effective setup if you have a rack and easily the way to go. You could probably go with a kickstand or find a way to clip onto something beyond your squat stand. They make the lever arms that also rotate side to side, so you could use that and rotate it onto and off a platform. Reddit's homegym is chockful of pretty inventive home gyms.

Attachments

• 275017550_440578727862492_5253712105718794448_n.jpg
    275017550_440578727862492_5253712105718794448_n.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The guy in the video isn't squatting very deeply and it looks like the plates are close to the ground at the bottom. Not sure his setup would work if one wanted to squat deeper.

-S-

The guy in the video isn't squatting very deeply and it looks like the plates are close to the ground at the bottom. Not sure his setup would work if one wanted to squat deeper.

-S-

Although the 2nd guy, in yellow, doesn't seem to be close to hitting plates.

Can't tell if it's mobility or the set up.

I've had more or less the same experience. I have seen determined people (namely Jack Reape - an older powerlifter from the original DD forums that Pavel often mentions) make it work however standing on two tall ply boxes, with a dipping belt and loading pin on a lower platform (higher than the ground) from which to start the movement.

Two of these and you're good to go: Rogue Games Box - 3 in 1 Wood Plyo Box or Titan Fitness Plyo Box or Sorinex makes (I have) and I'm sure there are others.

User Weight Capacity

Fitness Equipment provides a User Weight Capacity Rating for liability reasons.

If an individual pushes the item beyond the User Weight Capacity, the liabilty is assumed by those who purchase it; not the manufacturer.

None of these provide Brands provides the User Weight Capaity of their Boxes.

Titan's "Specification" states the "User Weight Capacity Varies."

Thus one needs to consider the...

Belt Squat Box Loading

As long as thg loading on the Boxes doesn't exceed the User Weight Capacity it works.

Example

If an individual is let's say 180 lbs and is performing a Belt Squat with 180 lb (in the video posted), the total loading is 360 lbs.

That would mean the each Box would need to have an individual User Weight Capacity of 180 lbs, (360 lbs divided by 2).

One needs to know the User Weight Capacity of the Boxes when purchasing and not perform Belt Squat beyond the it.

Belt Squat

As per...

Proper Starting Position

The primary issue with this Belt Squatting Method it is awkard and difficult in climbing up on the Boxes to obtain enough height; it is an accident waiting to happen, espcially with heavy loads.

Recommendations

1) LandMine Belt Squats

I am not a fan of LandMine Belt Squat. With this method the movement pulls you forward; it elicits a different training effect than Belt Squat performed off Boxes or my Ski Power Rack set up.

However, individual should give it a try an see if it works for them.

power rack the lever arm would be a good option

2) Power Rack Lever Arm

The movement pattern on this mimics the LandMine Squat; which I am not a fan of.

However, some individual may find it works for them.

Good Morning Auxilary Deadlift

LandMine and Power Rack Lever Arm Good Morning are a great Auxiliary Deadlift Movement.

It employs the same Ascending Strength Curve and Muscle Involvement of a Deadlift.

3) Loading Pin Belt Squats

Having tried all of the above method and some others, I am a proponet Belt Squats performed off a Solid Platform with a Loading Pin.

This method allows individual to place more of the loading on the upper part of the Quads, Glutes and Hamstrings; replicating a Powerlifting Low Bar Squat more so than the LandMine or Power Lever Rack Arm Squat.

Item Required

Post 19,

Back
Top Bottom