all posts post new thread

Barbell Belt squat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Many great answers (as always).

I remember reading your log and you did like bunch of belt squat.

Tell us more.

To all other members:
So the overall theme is:
- Do not stand on chairs!
- It takes the back out of the equation, which leads to more leg works/more volume could be done
- Can be loaded very heavy.
- Another option is one leg squat (step-up, split squat).

My other question is:
- Seems like it's best for someone back strength is far greater than quad strength. Can you confirm that?
- If so, how can someone know that his/her back is stronger/weaker than quads?
- What is the lightest weight can be use? I ask this one because currently the only weights I have is kettlebell and I'm not sure my lower body is wide enough for fews of them hanging.
I want to take my time with this answer. For those that care to know, I used a rigged up Landmine style setup. I bought a dip belt and attachment that fit on the bar sleeve, so the attachment went on first against the collar and the plates loaded after. This limited me to being able to fit 9 plates total on the end of the bar. I set up some concrete blocks to stand on lifted with the unloaded end of the bar behind me and the chain running down between my legs. I played with foot spacing and position forward and back of the attachment. The hardest part is obviously going to be initial lift from the floor. I "Felt" it on the outer portion of the quads, and I got a leg pump from it. I went from playing with it to figure it out to 9 plates and bored with reps in a very short amount of time.
There is my more recent log, if anyone wants to get bored.

That link should be a video of me squatting pre-Covid. This was not a 1RM, but it should give an idea of my general squat strength before losing access to a rack.
My take is, Belt Squats take the back completely out of the lift. If you are a Low Bar squatter this might hit things that are not hit strongly by squatting. I do not believe that it is likely to have any positive effect whatsoever on squatting ability or progression, or do anything in particular for your strength. If you are concerned about your "Quad sweep", it's probably useful. A Belt Squat machine would probably be a little more useful, but I honestly think that it's great as thing to do when you can't actually squat for some reason. It might help maintain some stuff, and is a workaround in case of injury.
If you rely on back strength for the squat, it might help with an imbalance in this regard. It might be fine with light weight as conditioning or active recovery work. Outside of that, I have no idea why anyone would be bothered with these past needing variet sometimes.

Edit: Fixed squar video link

Last edited:
Steve, you take shallow squat to another level :p

Kidding aside, how do it transfer to daily activity/normal lift (conv/sumo dead, squat...)?
It's tremendous for teaching tension. With that much weight, you can't - at least I can't - just "explode" with it, you have to push and push and push until the weight comes off the ground.

-S-

You probably have information overload by now, but here is one more variation to try: the lumberjack squat also called the landmine squat. I've never tried it but it looks like an interesting movement.

Here are interesting variations on familiar exercises that use a landmine. (Darn YouTube, I watched one video with the lumberjack squat and now my video recommendations are filled with videos for landmine exercises.) What I thought was interesting was using the landmine for the Bulgarian split squat. I know that the landmine turns 360 degrees, but I wonder if holding on to the bar would add a bit more stability so that more weight could be used. I may experiment with that.

Provided you have a good set up. Whenever you go heavy the belt will start to sag a bit, thus reducing the ROM. Looking back on my " belt squat experiments" I would've used two 24" boxes to stand on to get decent ROM with a heavy weight.

If this is the case you may want to ask yourself whether doing kettlebell front squats would be a better option. Do enough reps with a light weight and you'll build some strength but it obviously takes much longer this way.
Hi Mike, What about two or three concrete blocks(or cement blocks) stacked up on each side? They're usually 8" high and very sturdy. Maybe I'm only saying that because I have about several unused blocks sitting next to my garden shed.

Hi Mike, What about two or three concrete blocks(or cement blocks) stacked up on each side? They're usually 8" high and very sturdy. Maybe I'm only saying that because I have about several unused blocks sitting next to my garden shed.
Concrete blocks would be excellent.

One last idea and then I'll stop - sumo deadlifts. Sumo DLs hit the quads more, and if you do them from a deficit, either standing on two plates or loading the bar with smaller plates, you'll hit the quads even more. Obviously you'll need an Olympic barbell set but you can get those for cheap these days and no squat rack needed.

You probably have information overload by now, but here is one more variation to try: the lumberjack squat also called the landmine squat. I've never tried it but it looks like an interesting movement.

I tried it before. It doesn't feel good. But I make other people do it so they don't ask me to share the squat rack...
Anyway, the reason for belt squat is I want to train at home for awhile

I tried it before. It doesn't feel good. But I make other people do it so they don't ask me to share the squat rack...
Anyway, the reason for belt squat is I want to train at home for awhile
I use belt squats by hanging a weight by the belt and standing on plates. However my “plates” aren’t typical and are large. You can’t load more than 2 x 26 kgs on the belt. I find this quite low but if you can load more, they’re beneficial.

For this reason, I use split squats or RESS or whatever name they go by these days.

Last edited:
For home training you may prefer a solid, highly rated adjustable plyometric step / box. This will allow you to work on deep step ups. When your depth is at the appropriate level for you, you can add weight, eg with dumbells in hands. Some mountaineers add weight with a rucksack although that might only work for higher reps. There are extant threads in this forum on the deep step up.

You can take the hands out of the equation by putting a (padded) Viking Press handle on the end of the barbell and having it on your shoulders. It's a funny angle though, the forward lean, dunno how biomechanically sound and safe, might feel different for different people.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom