all posts post new thread

Barbell Bench Press Arch Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeff

Level 5 Valued Member
what is the purpose of the exaggerated back arch when benching? Is it primarily to reduce the range of motion in order to allow for a bigger lift, or does this position allow for a safer position for the shoulders?

From SFL manual: "An arch shortens the stroke, pre-streches the pecs, enables a better use of the lats, and enables better shoulder mechanics."
The arch is mostly T-spine, and minimally at the lumbar spine. It is a skill that needs practice.
Personally, I feel my lats better with a good arch, and so keep my shoulders down. That alone justifies it.

Reactions: Rif
I don't want to put words into people's mouths but I'm reasonably certain that @jef is talking about the "lateral arch" from shoulder to shoulder. Not sure if this was was the arch the OP was asking about, or rather the head to butt longitudinal arch

I am talking about making contact with shoulders and hips with the rest of the back off the bench. Trying to learn to bench pain free.

Longitudinal arch

Last edited:
You set both arches in the same movement, so there is no real need to differentiate them. The arch we want in a bench is mainly a T-spine extension, and chest opening, not lumbar extension. "Some lumbar hyperextension is unavoidable, it should be minimized".
The exagerated arch yo can see in competition is just this: exagerated. The purpose is to press maximum weight, but it is not desirable for general population using the bench for strength, as it usually leads to lumbar hyper-extension.

Look at the setup in this video, it is better than words:

@jef, my experience with arching has been that one can maximally arch everywhere, including the lumbar, if one accompanies the arch with a maximum glute contraction. Cramping your glutes will automatically take some of the arch out of your lumbar, and it will make your bench press "stance" stronger as well.

It might sound confusing to arch the lumbar _and_ cramp the glutes, but it's not. The result will be a very rigid glute and lumbar, just what you want.

-S-

Seems like I can military press with no problem but benching hurts. Maybe I can do light benches on bench day until it doesn’t hurt anymore and then work my way up.

Often when something hurts, it means there is something fundamentally wrong with the movement pattern and/or physical structures involved in your body. Lowering the weight can just reinforce the faulty pattern while avoiding pain. If you post a video, we have lots of members who love to help out with form correction (and most importantly, they are generally qualified via SFL or other high level training experience). Make sure your elbows are tucked in a bit and that you are pulling down on the barbell with your lats and upper back. A nice arch will help your shoulders for both the reasons you mentioned: less range of motion, and more favorable mechanics for the shoulders. Working on active internal and external rotation in the shoulders has worked wonders for me. I can give tips on that if that's something you're interested in.

@Steve Freides
I think we are on the same page.
You insist on cramping the glutes (and also abs, lats, grip, of course), which will effectively take some of the arch out of the lumbar. In the video, during the second setup, Pavel insists on being tight. This is achieved when cramping glutes, abs, lats, and gripping the bar hard. The setup forces more arch on the T-spine, and minimal (but not absent) in the lumbar.

I have seen too many people trying to have an arch by just hyper-extending the lower back, and I feel this should be a point of attention.

@Jeff, you might get some good out of this thread: The Arch for the Bench Press

Developing the arch through bench pressing has been one of the most significant body changes I've had over the 4 years I've been strength training with kettlebells and barbells.

Funny story, I didn't know how deficient my back muscles were in this particular skill until my husband and I went to watch a Figure and Bodybuilding show. Suffice to say it wasn't my favorite thing, but it was pretty interesting. They would do this pose "from the rear" as the announcer said, arched back and flexed muscles. Attempting to imitate this I found that I had no ability whatsoever to contract my back into an arch. My back could go into an arch passively, such as a yoga cobra or upward dog, but I really couldn't actively contract those muscles to create it.

This skill is unique to the bench press, in almost all kettlebell and barbell movements. In almost everything kettlebell, we are trying to maintain the "canister" -- the diaphragm and pelvic floor parallel, the torso muscles maintaining this alignment and intra-abdominal pressure as we lift, swing, etc. Arching the back is something to be avoided, as is flexing the back. In other barbell movements like squat, deadlift, and press, we are trying to stabilize the spine as much as possible also.

Seems like I can military press with no problem but benching hurts. Maybe I can do light benches on bench day until it doesn’t hurt anymore and then work my way up.

What do you feel, and where? To me it was very uncomfortable at first, and I really had a hard time getting up off the bench after benching. My back was almost in a spasm from trying to so something so unfamiliar. Now, no problem. It just took time. But, maybe you have something different going on.

I have a pop and an ice pick in my left ac joint. I don’t bench again until next Monday. I was trying to simulate the movement while standing in front of my bathroom mirror last night and realized I wasn’t keeping my forearms vertical. Most people lower the bar too high on the chest but I was lower the bar too low, creating a moment arm to really crank my shoulders. I will play with an empty bar or maybe a very light bar after training this Friday, and see if I can get someone to video me. It’s funny how you can see in your own mind what you think you are doing when in reality you are really doing something else.

Yes, video is a huge help. Post here or PM me if you'd like some feedback.

You have to upload it somewhere else like YouTube, and then post the link here.

Is there a way to do that without making it visible to the world? I don’t want to be a YouTube star.

Set the properties to "Unlisted" instead of "Public"

What do you guys think about the reverse grip bench as an alternative to the regular flat bench? From what I have read this movement places much less stress on the shoulder.

Pavel advocates for it Beyond Bodybuilding and PTTP. If that spares your shoulder, read up on the technique and go for it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom