all posts post new thread

Barbell Bench Press Arch Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
What do you guys think about the reverse grip bench as an alternative to the regular flat bench? From what I have read this movement places much less stress on the shoulder.

Reverse Grip Bench Press

It definitely take the stress off the shoulders. After a shoulder injury, I had chronic pain using the Traditional Bench Press. I switched over to the Reverse Grip. It allowed me to train my Bench Press and my shoulder injury to heal.

I began using the Reverse Grip after reading...

Master the Reverse-Grip Bench Press | T Nation

It more challenging getting the bar out of the rack with the Reverse Grip.

The bar comes off the chest with a little more power. However, the lockout at the top is a little more work.

An interesting study demonstrated the upper chest worked with the Reverse Grip in this article, video demo...

Jim Stoppani, PhD Video Article: Are You Using The Wrong Chest Exercise?

"...the upper pectoralis increased by 30% when using the reverse grip as opposed to the regular overhand grip."

An Interesting Shoulder Pitching Comparison

The Reverse Grip Bench Press shoulder stress is somewhat like Fast Underhand Pitching; a minimal amount of stress is placed on the shoulder.

Traditional Bench Pressing stress is somewhat like Fast Overhand Pitching; greater stress is placed on the shoulder.

That is one of the reason that Fast Underhand Pitchers have few shoulder issues in comparison to Overhand Fast Pitchers.

Auxiliary Exercise

The Reverse Grip Bench Press is a good Auxiliary Exercise.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
What do you guys think about the reverse grip bench as an alternative to the regular flat bench? From what I have read this movement places much less stress on the shoulder.

Haven't ever tried it or known of any reason to, so no opinion here.

The USAWA has a lift where you bench w/ one hand over and one hand under - go figure.

-S-

Seems like I can military press with no problem but benching hurts. Maybe I can do light benches on bench day until it doesn’t hurt anymore and then work my way up.

Don’t try to Bench through pain. It will probably get worse and is doing nothing for technique or confidence.

Use as much arch as you can effectively generate. It will get better with experience under the bar. The most important part is pulling the shoulders down and together as hard as you can and maintaining that throughout the rep and set. If you can get a hand off it will be easier to set and maintain the back. I suspect you are shrugging the shoulders up in the bottoms of the bench and through the press. That’s the most common error in many exercises and movements. Press through the traps(Mark Bell). Drive your head into the Bench the increased muscle tension will add 10-15lbs to your bench(Charles Poliquin).

Crown the chest and put your right shoulder in you left pocket and your left shoulder in your right pocket. Make your chest meet the bar not the bar meet your chest.(Bill Kazmaier).

Second most important, as @Steve Freides said, get the glutes tight. More over tense the whole lower body. As I unrack the bar my legs are about 50% on, as the bar lowers I increase the tension in the legs, kicking the feet away, to maximal tension as I press out of the bottom(Eric Spoto). My arch actually increases as I approach the bottom. That’s where I use the cue “make the chest meet the bar”.

I really like this article from Kaz.
The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban: The Bench Press, Part One - Bill Kazmaier (1981)

The more you can arch the wider the grip you can use. Try moving you Grip in the bit.

A lot of people unconsciously bent the wrists to much. As you lower the bar the wrist bends to compensate for weak triceps putting more stress on the shoulders. Matt Wenning talks about this. Focus on keeping the wrists as straight as possible. Set the bar on, and cover, as much of the the heel of the palm as you can, and crush the bar, focusing on the Pinky squeeze(Jen Thompson). You don’t want the bar to roll back into the palm of the hand. Just like you would grip a Kettlebell.

Do some extra Tricep work to help them carry more of the load and help protect the shoulder. The easiest way to a stronger Press is stronger triceps.

Last edited:
Don’t try to Bench through pain. It will probably get worse and is doing nothing for technique or confidence.

Use as much arch as you can effectively generate. It will get better with experience under the bar. The most important part is pulling the shoulders down and together as hard as you can and maintaining that throughout the rep and set. If you can get a hand off it will be easier to set and maintain the back. I suspect you are shrugging the shoulders up in the bottoms of the bench and through the press. That’s the most common error in many exercises and movements. Press through the traps(Mark Bell). Drive your head into the Bench the increased muscle tension will add 10-15lbs to your bench(Charles Poliquin).

Crown the chest and put your right shoulder in you left pocket and your left shoulder in your right pocket. Make your chest meet the bar not the bar meet your chest.(Bill Kazmaier).

Second most important, as @Steve Freides said, get the glutes tight. More over tense the whole lower body. As I unrack the bar my legs are about 50% on, as the bar lowers I increase the tension in the legs, kicking the feet away, to maximal tension as I press out of the bottom(Eric Spoto). My arch actually increases as I approach the bottom. That’s where I use the cue “make the chest meet the bar”.

I really like this article from Kaz.
The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban: The Bench Press, Part One - Bill Kazmaier (1981)

The more you can arch the wider the grip you can use. Try moving you Grip in the bit.

A lot of people unconsciously bent the wrists to much. As you lower the bar the wrist bends to compensate for weak triceps putting more stress on the shoulders. Matt Wenning talks about this. Focus on keeping the wrists as straight as possible. Set the bar on, and cover, as much of the the heel of the palm as you can, and crush the bar, focusing on the Pinky squeeze(Jen Thompson). You don’t want the bar to roll back into the palm of the hand. Just like you would grip a Kettlebell.

Do some extra Tricep work to help them carry more of the load and help protect the shoulder. The easiest way to a stronger Press is stronger triceps.
Gold. Bookmark-worthy. Thank you for sharing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom