all posts post new thread

Barbell Bench Press Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It can be a deterrent to have many opinions on programming, especially in the novice stage of training. I find youngsters who wish to up their bench presses try EVERY program at once, sacrificing life and limb for that extra 5 lbs.

You’re bench has increased from previous training and it is natural to assume it will just keep increasing if you hit it hard. I find, at your stage, this is where you have to learn to dial back and not expect gains to come so rapidly. Testing your max often is a fast track to nowhere. Now, not saying you’re guilty of this but I’ve been down that road myself…too many times.

At this point, it may be that your beginner gains have dried up and you should expect strengtg increase to come more slowly. Your bench technique is said to be on point.

You say you’re smoking 90 % sets but getting crushed by max attempts. This leads me to believe you’re dealing with a mental barrier with heavy singles. This can be from many things…one is probably lack of preparation…

As you get stronger and stronger, max attempts take more out of you because you’re lifting more weight. Doing this often will force you into early retirement.

My advice would be pick a program, any program mentioned, and follow it to a T, paying considerable attention to the proper loading and technique. After 8 or so weeks, you should see progress. “8 or so weeks???”You might ask. Seems too long? Yes. That is the cost of progress in the strength game. It is the patient lifters that last, continue getting stronger and hit PR’s at the right time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom