all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Benchmark Balance

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I've heard before that a person's clean should be around a certain percentage of their deadlift. I've also heard that a person's bench press should be about the same as their front squat. What other benchmarks are good for identifying imbalances in strength? Should a TGU be a certain percentage of some other movement, etc?

@Bro Mo I know the SFG technique standard for the TGU is 30% of your body weight thus the recent change for males 100kg or more moving up to the 28kg bell.

I suspect that imbalances in strength are borne out of improper technique, not breathing properly, an inability to relax, and lack of aerobic function; not which lifts you choose to train.

unless I cam completely out of loop, I don't think this is accurate. The snatch test load was changed, not the TGU test load.

I stand corrected, just reviewed the last communication from Brett Jones and yes he specifically pointed out that the change was only regarding the snatch test standard. Thank you.

I would personally aim for being around average in everything, and good/very good at at least something, as @Steve Freides said: "very good at a few, well-chosen lifts."

Personally, from "balance" point of view, my benchmark is the FMS score. I make sure mine are at 19+(with no ones). If I move well I'm happy :)
I suspect that real, problematic, imbalances in strength will be reflected in subpar movement quality.

For a trainees / students I would strive for 14+(no zeros, no ones) as baseline and will give myself a thumb-up with 16+. Unfortunately most "civilized" people are well under 14... :(

The clean is so technically and flexibility demanding, and such a different pull from a conventional deadlift, I do not see any relationship there.

I have never heard of any relation between bench and front squat. I would hope any barbell enthusiast could front squat a fair bit more than they could bench. You should be able to row a weight very close to your bench though. That is a balance I can get behind.

The clean is so technically and flexibility demanding, and such a different pull from a conventional deadlift, I do not see any relationship there....You should be able to row a weight very close to your bench though. That is a balance I can get behind.

Yep, I completely agree. This is actually one of the reasons for my question. I know a lot of guys that have shoulder problems because of performing tons of push-ups and not doing enough rowing to balance the shoulder and then they get injured or their mobility is all out of whack.

Regarding the clean, I believe the context I heard it was from an Olympic athlete perspective to judge their efficiency with the clean. It was a way to determine their proficiency in the clean.

@Bro Mo I competed in Olympic Weightlifting for many years. The Olympic back squat should be about 130% of your clean, and your snatch should be within 30kg or about 80% of your clean. The front squat should be 110% of the clean, to be certain you can stand up, but I could clean weights that I could not stand up with. Weightlifters do not conventional deadlift. The clean and snatch pull and deadlift variations were trained at 110-115% of the full lifts.

There are many physical and technical factors affecting these ratios, they are just classic weightlifting technique guidelines. This chart may be interesting for anyone one interested I gauging there weightlifting:http://www.catalystathletics.com/articles/downloads/CatalystAthleticsWeightliftingLevels2015.pdf
As for ratios for strength, kettlebell, or powerlifting exercises that is not something I have experience with.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom