all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Benefits and cost of personal instruction?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
How much does kettlebell instruction cost?

What can I learn from an instructor that I cannot learn from books, articles, and videos?

What can I learn from an instructor that I cannot learn from books, articles, and videos?

Gonna depend on where you are as far as cost. I would say probably anywhere from 50-100 USD an hour.

In MY Opinion WORTH EVERY PENNY. You can learn the basics and form from the books and videos but with an instructor you will learn much faster and they will make that form a lot more efficient/powerful/less injury prone.

Just my experience.

I did a couple of sessions with a certified kb instructor about 15 years ago. I'd been throwing kbs around for about 4 months prior, and he was able to correct some major deficiencies in my form. I saw immediate improvements in my swing, cleans, presses, and snatches; and very quickly had to buy a heavier kb. He also put me on a program that looked simple and non-strenuous on paper, but where I experienced fantastic gains in strength and endurance. He taught me about working smarter.

So in my opinion, one of the best benefits of hiring an instructor vs books/articles/videos is the feedback loop. A skilled trainer can immediately assess your form/technique, and provide on the spot correction. You'll start developing good form/habits from the start, which will result in increased efficiency and quicker strength and/or endurance gains. He/She can also put you on a program that fits with your goals, lifestyle, etc..

Hello,

@Smile-n-Nod
The instructor will give you tips, will analize your move in real time, will oblige you to correct what has to be corrected. There are always some details that you can not catch from books and videos.

StrongFirst Kettlebell Course

Here are the prices:
StrongFirst Kettlebell Course Schedule

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Smile-n-Nod - Reading will get you only so far, I've video'd myself and made some corrections, but recently saw an SFG qualified instructor who pointed out several things I was doing incorrectly, made things better all around :)

Go for it, they can spot so much that you miss yourself.........

There's nothing you couldn't learn from books and videos.
But what will you actually learn?

I could have learned math, Spanish, and guitar without the help of instructors. But would I have overcome the inevitable obstacles and made the same progress in the same timeframe? Doubt it.

This is from the perspective of someone who started using kettlebells when DragonDoor first started selling them, learned from books, videos and trial and error, eventually was certified and recertified as an RKC under Pavel, and has continued to teach and learn through the present time.

IMO, the value of a skilled instructor falls in a few different areas:
--Taking you through a solid teaching progression that builds skill from the ground up. A good instructor will force you to do all the preliminary stuff that most people learning from books and videos skip or rush through because they don't think they need it, or it isn't that important -- the patterning drills that lay the foundation for good technique.
--Recognizing technique flaws, giving immediate feedback, and having a toolbox of cues and drills to fix them.
--Having enough experience and reps in the bank to develop some insight into the INTERNAL technique -- all the subtleties of intention and execution that are not always obvious outwardly, but can make a big difference in power, efficiency and safety.
--Generally shortening the learning curve, steering you clear of mistakes before they happen, and eliminating the need for a lot of trial and error (but not eliminating it completely; IMO, mindful practice always involves trial and error).
--In many cases, compensating for your poor reading comprehension, listening, and observational skills, and inaccurate self-assessment.

If you are one of the rare people who generally can watch someone do a technique and immediately pick it up yourself, then the value of personal instruction is a little less. However, in my experience this skill is pretty rare, even among very good athletes -- and even great athletes benefit from coaching.

CAN you learn from books/articles/videos? In many cases yes, but it's the harder way.

Can YOU learn from books/articles/videos? Maybe, but it's the harder way.

BTW, from all accounts a user course is a great alternative to individual instruction. The instructors are usually excellent and experienced, there are usually multiple instructors so you get insights from more than one perspective, there is usually a lot of individual attention anyway, you will go through a well-proven teaching progression, and the energy of a group can be very powerful.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
+1 to the replies above. Having coached a few, I'll just say it is amazing just how many opportunities for improvement there are when you first start working with someone who is self-taught.

Online coaching is another option, though usually not as good as in-person, IMO.

... Which give me an idea... @Steve Freides ... What if there were a sub-forum, maybe under 'Training -> Other' called 'Coaching' where people could label a post 'Coach Wanted' or 'Coaching Available'? In this way it could be sort of like the 'Equipment -> For Sale or Wanted to Buy' Forum. Perhaps an active StrongFirst certification as a requirement for a posting/listing. I thought of this because OP's next question (if he's interested) might be, "How do I find an online coach?" And I don't know that we have a way to answer, except those who may have mentioned it in the past or someone posting in reply to offer their services. An alternative might be a way for Instructors listed on the site to "check a box" for online coaching services, and for people to be able to search for that.

Have to say I found one to one teaching invaluable even find a good class with very small numbers might work.
I had issues with my clean that I just couldn't fix myself but a practised set of eyes worked it out in a short space of time,my swing improved too !

@Anna C, I'm trying to think about how to manage access to it - I guess just make it open to members only, and the only thing we have to watch out for is who responds and says they're an SFG.'

-S-

@Smile-n-Nod here is the Instructor Search: Find an instructor

@Steve Freides, looking at the Instructor Search, if you were to go that route (instead of the sub-forum), perhaps a keyword search could be added to the Instructor Search page. Then instructors could just add a designated keyword (i.e. "Distance Coaching") and include any details they want to add in their profile.

Personally, I think I probably maxed out my ability to refine my KB/barbell skills through my own practice early in 2015. I'm an avid reader and have read most of Pavel's books multiple times. With a cert looming in Oct I've arranged for online coaching with an SFG and I'm heading down to his gym twice a month to check technique etc. It will interesting to deconstruct what I think I know and relearn from the ground up...

@Anna C, now that you mention it, what advantage do you see to having something here and not just pointing people to the instructor search on the web site?

-S-

@Anna C, now that you mention it, what advantage do you see to having something here and not just pointing people to the instructor search on the web site?

-S-
Well, I do see you mention a keyword search - I guess my question is would be better off adding that functionality to the existing instructor search rather than adding a new thing to the forum?

-S-

I guess my question is would be better off adding that functionality to the existing instructor search rather than adding a new thing to the forum?

I actually think that would be ideal, yes, because Instructors already know what to do to be listed on the site, and there is already something in place to verify current certification, etc. If the new functionality is added, a notice could be emailed out and/or posted to the SF Instructors FB group as to how to update their profiles. In fact, they may have some great ideas or suggestions about how they'd like to see it on the Instructor profile page and search. It would be a great way to increase the support and promotion of the SF instructor community! (Oh, and don't forget the Master, Senior, and Team Leader Instructors -- they too may want to be able to be identified as available for distance coaching).

So the sub-forum idea would be a secondary idea, in case that's not possible for some reason.

@Smile-n-Nod

Welcome to the forum.

+1 to the post from @Steve W. (I suggest you follow him on the forum)

In addition:

I have been coaching as a personal trainer for 15 years and as an SFG for the last 3 years. When people ask me about the advantages and disadvantages of hiring a coach I always say this, "You don't know what you don't know" and "Are you coachable?"

Most people have natural bias and tendencies with their exercise based on personal experience. Nothing beats learning from another experienced individual who has made the mistakes, had the successes and trimmed the fat off their programs to assist you in your journey.

Are you coachable? Most people think they are, but quickly find out they would rather do things their way. This is common and based on fear of change. A coach is not there to push people off the cliff and say "ok, now fly!" but rather lead by example, teach without ego, and demonstrate the behavior change qualities that their student needs to develop. Based on the student's level of commitment this process can ramp up quickly or take years. Either way, changing lives and influencing people to be even just 1% better than yesterday is powerful stuff. With the right coach in your corner you can achieve much more than just better exercise technique and more scrabble behind your name. You can transform into a better human being and maybe even pass that on to someone else. All the best.

I can't really answer to that due to the fact that I live in another Country, but if the cost of an SFG varies, like said here, from 50 to 100 USD/hour (let's go up to 150 just for good measure), then keep in mind the followings are my personal feelings based on these sums.

Basically, just about everything.

An SFG (or any other coach on the same respective level of proficiency in his own field of competence, RKCs included):
  • sees you in person in real time, with the possibility of moving around you, making you repeat movements to better understand your flaws or limitations, and so forth. There is no way any other method of coaching could even come close to this;
  • has a very good chance of knowing things you don't or you didn't understand (and you thought you did) and can therefore correct you. This combined with the point above, makes for instant corrections you have in your hands, good to use on the same moment they are made;
  • these things I talk above, may be little improvements that will make all the differences in you lifts (including the speed of your progresses);
  • can solve you many problems about equipment, if you have any.
To tranlsate this into my personal experience for further references, it goes like:
  • I cannot tell you how many times I have repeated swings, cleans, snatches, presse, squats and TGUs, and after every reps they felt better;
  • although I was told I was surprisingly good for a self taught person, there is really no means to compare my training before and after personal coaching: they are on a whole, differente quality level. Seriously, it's like driving a bycicle and one moment after you find yourself on Lamborghini. No, not exagerating things, it's that much of a difference;
  • I came into the gym owing a pair of 16 kg kettlebless with are not the best, but fair, and 24 kg that it's just pitiful. I now own a pair of 24 kg, one 32 kg and one 40 kg kettlebells of the brand used by my SFG, and I won't tell you the difference it has made on training because you wouldn't rightly believe me. I'm gonna also by another 32 kg and a 48 kg eventually in the future. They are not the best level possible, but are very solid and cheaper than any other brand I found on the vast Realm of the Internetz.
I went for it and would do that again without any doubt in my mind (and will in the near future for the kettlebell jerk and some barbell training).

I learned from books and DVD's for years. I also got some occasional coaching on form from an SFG (less than once every few months). I would cycle between programs until I got injured due to faulty movement or excessive eagerness that led to increasing intensity prematurely.

Last year I went to an SFG and met monthly with addition advice on programming. He asked me what my goal was and I said

"To get progressively stronger without getting hurt."

We accomplished that goal and I built a better foundation to embark on S & S. He was much more observant about my movement patterns than I could have been from just watching videos. He also helped change my mindset so that I was ready for self training.

P.S. I suspect that costs vary with location, but training is always cheaper than physical therapy after injuring oneself.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom