all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Benefits of a Good Fat-Loss Program (Besides Fat Loss)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on this one.

I see a lot of people running fat loss programs

and it got me to thinking,

what are the benefits of running a quality fat loss program (any fat loss program by Geoff Neupert, for example) besides a reduction in body fat?

Is it muscle gain?

It is extra energy?

Higher testosterone levels?

Better looking blood work?

Better conditioning?

Would appreciate any input on the subject

I would say they usually go along with better conditioning.... the shorter-lived kind; somewhat or mostly glycolytic, as opposed to aerobic conditioning which takes longer to build but lasts longer and can have overall more beneficial effects (IMO). But they can be useful for boosting performance in certain events or developing some specific adaptations. And they are kind of fun and challenging. You can build some good strength endurance along the way. And if you allow some recovery within them, minimizing the burn and high heart rate from ongoing hard efforts, they can also be "Anti Glycolytic Training (AGT)" of one type, because AGT avoids excessive or prolonged glycolysis, NOT all glycolysis.

Any reduction in non active mass will make you feel better up to a point. Imagine carrying ten pound plate in a fanny pack all day long. When I do longer backpacking trips I try to reduce load in any way possible, no item is overlooked. Yet a lot of people carry 10+ lbs without thinking twice.

You feel better. In the confines of a workout regimen a few lbs might not make any difference but you'll feel it overall. I'd say once your body fat gets into low teens - single digits you might start to feel worse. It takes a lot of attention to diet whether carb or fat dominant to get to a real low fat % and feel good about it.

I normally do not target fat loss as an exercise strategy, I prefer to do most of that in the kitchen. Like building any other physical attribute it pays to have patience and determination. Accrue it slowly, lose it slowly.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom