all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bent press alternative to the Get-Up ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Méné

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I have quite few space in my room to practise the get-ups safely, also i was wondering if i can substitute them with bent-presses ?
(I can bent press my get-up weight)
If yes do i do the same number of rep or more as the bent-press is a bit shorter movement than the get-up ?

Thanks for your inputs,

Do what you can with the space you have, but no they are two different movements.

One strategy you could use with limited space is to just practice the phases of the getup separately.

For example, from the starting position, roll up to the elbow, then the wrist, back down to the elbow and then back to the ground. Or, from the 1/2 kneeling position, stand up, and then return to 1/2 kneeling, stand up again, etc...You can practice the getup effectively by breaking it up into pieces and still get the benefits of the overall movement.

Hi everyone,

I have quite few space in my room to practise the get-ups safely, also i was wondering if i can substitute them with bent-presses ?
If yes do i do the same number of rep or more as the bent-press is a bit shorter movement than the get-up ?

Thanks for your inputs,

How much space do you actually have? Are there no corridors around, in or outside the apartment?

I do get-ups on a approx. 1.4m wide balcony. Not perfect, but enough. The roll to the side starting/finishing is tight and I need to watch if my extended leg is not resting on the wall. What’s funny that I actually, probably, lift more weight then when in open space, due to the comfort of being able to support myself by the wall If needed. I actually need to focus to avoid thinking I can rely on that.

Hello,

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your inputs,
I usually do get ups where there are shelves just nearby. So I am more or less in te same case than @Molson I have to be cautious with my surroundings. This adds to the challenge but remains doable. When I practice where I have plenty of space (woods for instance), the same weight feels really lighter.

I agree with @natewhite39 with the idea of practicing several "partials" to eventually get the entire move done.

Another option - with probably less efficacy - could be to practice move that transfer well to each position of the get up:
- Pistol squat* + Pigeon squat* + shrimp squat* --> lunge
- One arm / one arm one leg plank (better if you can perform the push up) --> bridge
- HSPU --> transfer to the OVH stability

* possibly weigthed

This will work in terms of ability, meaning having the raw strength. However, it will not work in terms of skill (actual practice of the move or part of the move) because you perform different things. This is why @natewhite39 's solution is better than mine. I just wanted to share another solution, just in case.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom