all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bent press as mobility drill

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oscar

Level 7 Valued Member
Hi all,

I've been having some shoulder issues, and my physical therapist found that I have limited shoulder rotation (dont know how the describe it so I posted a photo below). I basically can't open my forearm to the side if my elbow is next to the ribs.

I have noted that this is an intermediate stage of the bent press, so I figured that if I gain mobility and learn to bent press, my shoulder will be happier.

Does anybody know any drill to this particular shoulder limitation? Today I tried bent arm bars and was able to do them with a 6kg KB. The 16 was a no-go. I also did a few reps of the kneeling bent press with the 6 kg.

Also, any source to learn how to bent press?

Thanks all!

bentpress.jpg 20191214_182622.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for your comments!

I havent completed "Taming the Bent Press" nor Asorge´s book, so I dont know if they address my particular shoulder limitation.

In any case, I started practicing with a 6 kg and a 16 kg kettlebells and my shoulder is moving better already. I manage to complete the lift with my right hand (the healthy one), but I´m not able to complete with my left. I can bend only so much and dont reach the point of fully extending my elbow.

@Steve Freides thanks, I have been using the windmill as a warm up before I practice the bent press. However, for some reason, my shoulder moves well when my elbow is extended. The limitation appears when my elbow is bent and next to the ribs.

@Pavel Macek thanks, that looks like a great resource. I couldnt find anything in particular regarding mobility in there though. Any particular recommendation? I´d love to go to a course as suggested by @Tobias Wissmueller, but living in Argentina its too far away.

Oscar
Since you are being treated by a Physical Therapist please run anything "new" by them.

Thanks all for your comments!

I havent completed "Taming the Bent Press" nor Asorge´s book, so I dont know if they address my particular shoulder limitation.

In any case, I started practicing with a 6 kg and a 16 kg kettlebells and my shoulder is moving better already. I manage to complete the lift with my right hand (the healthy one), but I´m not able to complete with my left. I can bend only so much and dont reach the point of fully extending my elbow.

@Steve Freides thanks, I have been using the windmill as a warm up before I practice the bent press. However, for some reason, my shoulder moves well when my elbow is extended. The limitation appears when my elbow is bent and next to the ribs.

@Pavel Macek thanks, that looks like a great resource. I couldnt find anything in particular regarding mobility in there though. Any particular recommendation? I´d love to go to a course as suggested by @Tobias Wissmueller, but living in Argentina its too far away.

Suggested road to bent press:

- physio
- FMS
- armbar, bent armbar, Brettzel, Brettzel armbar
- get-up with presses in each of the phases
- kneeling get-up to bent press drills
- bent press (bent press rack, bottom position, bent press)

I have a bigger work in progress, please stay tuned.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom