all posts post new thread

Barbell Bent Press before or after Deadlift?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

El Cid

Level 3 Valued Member
I've never trained heavy Bent Press and heavy Deadlift during the same training session before. It just never occurred to me. They're both hip hinges so I'm thinking I'll give it a try for a while.

My Deadlift/Bent Press session will happen twice a week one week, and then once the following week on a standard A/B three times a week format.

Deadlift: 2-5 sets of 2-5 reps depending on that sessions %1Rm and volume goals. Mainly 65-85%1Rm

Bent Press: 2-5 sets of singles and doubles for each arm

I'm thinking that since BnP is more technical it should be placed first then DL, but my thinking has been known to be wrong at least once before :)

Thoughts?

I voted BnP first.
A lot of strength programs have the big lift first, but I see it in a different way.
What do you think which lift affects the other one more?
Will the BnP have an effect on your DL performance? Not that likely, maybe just a little bit.
Will the DL have an effect on your BnP performance? Very likely.

Last edited:
Bent Press is far more demanding, do that first. I have done 10 each Bent Press and PTTP Deadlifts together with good results. Jefferson Deadlift is a good combination because it uses a similar stance.

Bent Press is far more demanding, do that first.
Yes, I didn't think of that before.
You could live with not being totally fresh when attempting a DL, because even when you fail, all you do is just dropping the bar.
The BnP is different. When you put a heavy chunk of iron over your head in an awkward position, you should be as fresh as possible, because a failed BnP can be very dangerous.

Last edited:
Edited my posts to BnP, thought it was clear from the context.
Thanks - context isn't always clear when people find these things via searches, that's why consistency can help. Not a big deal - thanks for changing it.

-S-

Agree with all that the bent press is much more technical and should be done first. I think that the bent press is highlighting nicely that performance and safety go hand in hand.

I have some experience with combining bent press and deadlift/swing/snatch. On moderate BnP sessions these are actually pretty good prep for the hinges.

I believe Pavel referred to the side press in PTTP. El Cid was asking about doing a press before or after DL. In PTTP, Pavel said do press before DL.

Hello,

I would go for any press work before the deadlift. Bent Press is a very technical move, then I'd do it first while my CNS and muscles are fresh.

Kind regards,

Pet'

If they're similar priorities, I agree with you and the folks who have voted for the BnP. It's more technical (so you want to be fresh), and the DL tends to take away (even if just a little) from any strength work done directly afterwards.

The exception would be if the DL is your main focus, and the BnP is just there to "fill the gaps." Your posterior chain (and lats especially) won't be at 100% after heavy BnP's, which could be significant if you're on an aggressive DL program. If you're pulling mostly 65-85% 1RM, and leaving reps in the tank, I don't think it would be an issue.

If they're similar priorities, I agree with you and the folks who have voted for the BnP. It's more technical (so you want to be fresh), and the DL tends to take away (even if just a little) from any strength work done directly afterwards.

The exception would be if the DL is your main focus, and the BnP is just there to "fill the gaps." Your posterior chain (and lats especially) won't be at 100% after heavy BnP's, which could be significant if you're on an aggressive DL program. If you're pulling mostly 65-85% 1RM, and leaving reps in the tank, I don't think it would be an issue.

Yeah that's about where I'm at and what I was thinking. For now, any time I tread over 85% 1Rm, which will be rare, I'll probably DL first and back off the BnP weight.

Hello,

@El Cid
In the "absolute", Pavel said BnP first. However, sometimes, it is good to get some flexibility ;)

What is your goal ?

If your goal is to improve your DL, then it might be better to go for DL first, especially if you do BnP only as an additional move. If you want to progress in both moves, then, BnP first would be my choice (using a program such as daily dose press, S&T, etc...).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom