all posts post new thread

Kettlebell BENT PRESS. HELP! from 48kg to a next size kettlebell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
welcome to strong first
thats a BIG bent press! your 10kg of your bodyweight. I would love to know what program you used as well. for my own benefit as much for anything. I would suggest a daily practice of varied intensity. I believe @pet' had success with a daily practice of swings and bent presses.

Hello,

@Luca Scarcelli
Welcome !

Regarding the BnP practice, @Maine-ah KB is right. I use an almost daily practice, following the S&S principle. I do 100 swings + 3 GU + 3 BnP. Basically, this gives me some kind of "minimum effective dose". The weight is heavy, but remains in a submaximal effort so I can recover pretty fast, being always fresh and getting stronger.

Pavel Macek uses another program, inspired from BnP legend Arthur Saxon. In his training log, you'll find the rep / set frame. Basically, he waves volume, weight.

The program starts about there:
Repeat Until Strong.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
I performed bent-press once a week, starting with the singles. I increased the singles every week, when I was able to perform 7 singles with a weight, I started with the double repetitions, when I was able to perform 5 sets of 2 repetitions, comfortably, I increased the size of the kettlebell. It's a program that I invented, and it worked until now.
now I started a simple-sinister program using 36 kg and 40 kg. What do you think?
this is the video of my first bent-press with 48 kg

Luca Scarcelli

@Pavel Macek @pet' @Maine-ah KB @Steve Freides

Attachments

• BENT-PRESS  SIMPLE-SINISTER.JPG
    BENT-PRESS SIMPLE-SINISTER.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 62
@Luca Scarcelli Nice! You are still pressing the bell a bit - which means, you can bent press heavier.

The question is, what would you like to focus on right now: S&S? Bent press?

I would just like to increase the bent-press. What do you think of the programming I sent here in the forum? Do you have any other suggestions?

@Luca Scarcelli - very nice >80% body-weight bent press!

If your programming for bent press has been working why change it? You seem to know when you are overdoing it looking at your log above, so as long as you are keeping track of that there doesn't seem any reason to change.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to reading about an even bigger bent press from you.

@Luca Scarcelli welcome to the forum, and congrats on your progress and the sucess of your program!

I´m not experienced with the bent press, but I noticed that your back is a bit curbed. I´m not sure thats a good thing. Just bringing it to your attention, maybe a more experienced member can chime in. Note the below images, comparing with the SFG standards video:

upload_2018-2-1_11-4-28.png

upload_2018-2-1_11-1-53.png

Another thing: It would be great if you can keep a training log here

Last edited:
If your only bent pressing once a week I would suggest upping the frequency to 2-5 times. using a Heavy, Light model. example on your heavy days work up to a heavy single. on light days use a bell thats 4-8kilos lighter. as far as reps 10 reps if your practicing 4-5 times weekly, 15 for 3 times weekly and 20 for 2 times weekly. it will keep you in the 40 total reps per week which is pretty solid zone for improvement in most movements. I'm not that versed in the bent press however and am translating it from a lower volume press plan so I could be off.

Kurt Saxon, brother of the legendary Arthur, writes:

It is necessary to practice this lift (bent press) all the time... We used to make about 30 attempts at each training session.

(Article here)

I personaly have great results with almost daily practice, waving the load around 10-30 reps per side, in 5-10 sets of 2-3. Bent press is very skill dependent, which means - frequent and relatively light weight practice is better that heavy and infrequent one.

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
That is interesting !

In your opinion, would the BnP obey by the same rules than the standard press ? If so, using a ROP Template may be a strategy, no ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' Please read my post above once more, and you will realize that no. More often, less total reps - my high volume bent press day is ROP's lowest volume day. In ROP, you are pressing 3 times a week, bent press thrives on almost daily practice. Presses in ROP go to 5s, bent press is preferred to be done in singles, doubles, or triples.

Classic bent press touching the floor with the unloaded hand is not allowed.. In a bent press you can bent in different directions. Many people do more of a side-bend, but you will run out of room quicker opposed to bending forward, then turning the torso. If you have to use shoulder strength for the last little bit to get elbow lockout then you should try to bend more in the knees.

Thanks you for all comments :)
I decided to change program because working with singles once a week with 48 kg is tiring, it's a maximum weight for me now. I prefer to do a more frequent but less heavy job. I chose to follow this schedule: 5 times a week, 1 repetition on the side every minute, 10 repetitions in total (5 per side) Tell me what you think, do you think it's okay?My Bent-Press Programm.JPG

I don't see why that wouldn't work. especially after reading Pavel's comment. maybe do some doubles do an occasional double or triples. vary load and rep range.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom