all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Bent Press, Military Press, Parallel Bar Dips for a minimalist program?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The only reason I shy away from the OAP is because I can knock out a few easily now after practicing them GTG style for about 8 months, and I can’t really add weight to them…
You can do inclines (elevating feet) and one leg as well, with pauses, slow eccentrics, band resisted, weighted vest, sandbag on back …

there are unlimited progressions with OAP (have you ever seen someone do a OA HSPU? If so…)

If I’m suddenly a bastion for OAP, it’s because of the extreme usefulness I found of them when I was under lockdown abroad.

The newer programs that take avantage of increased variability in weight, intensity, and density may produce greater results, but the methodical simplicity and escalating routine of ROP is almost meditative which is more valuable to people like myself.
This really summed up my views on allot of StrongFirst's newer work. I find allot of it complicated and not enough 'do this'. Not that I don't appreciate the programs but it sure has become more nuanced than what originally attracted me to Pavel's work.

My vote would be to cycle S&S, ROP and Q&D. Stick with each for months at a time.

Swing + TGU
Press + Swing/ Snatch
Swing + Push-up
Lets say 2months each Jan Feb Mar Apr May June start cycle again in July.............. that means that you don't do any getups for four months, you don't do any Snatches for four months and you don't do any pushups for 4 months (however you do lots of swings)
ie Presses in Mar Apr and next time you press is September.
Does competence in these exercises decay very much in that 4 months or maybe it doesn't really matter if you lose some skill/competence/strength as it will soon come back - Just thinking aloud here ...... probably does not matter .... you will still be a fit and healthy human at any point in that cycle.

Lets say 2months each Jan Feb Mar Apr May June start cycle again in July.............. that means that you don't do any getups for four months, you don't do any Snatches for four months and you don't do any pushups for 4 months (however you do lots of swings)
ie Presses in Mar Apr and next time you press is September.
Does competence in these exercises decay very much in that 4 months or maybe it doesn't really matter if you lose some skill/competence/strength as it will soon come back - Just thinking aloud here ...... probably does not matter .... you will still be a fit and healthy human at any point in that cycle.
You won't decay much, and you can always do the other movements a little if needed. E.g. use light TGUs as a warm up for ROP/Q&D, or GTG pushups on S&S.

My personal experience:

Training only the press increases my TGU and power pushup, but high rep pushup endurance decreases.

Training only the TGU maintains my press, not sure about pushups.

I'm not sure about pushups because I've never trained them exclusively so I can't isolate that movement. But in the past, bench press has increased my press.

Thanks for the replies! I love the idea of cycling the pairings, I guess at some point it also kind of comes down to what my body responds to best.

Just curious, random thought…what are some of the instructors doing these days in terms of exercises? Like @Pavel, @Pavel Macek, @Fabio Zonin, @Brett Jones, @Anna C, @Steve Freides ; I know Pavel M does his fitness logs which are very interesting. Would just love to see what sorts of patterns and routines interest these experienced men and women at this point in their lives.

Just curious, random thought…what are some of the instructors doing these days in terms of exercises? Like @Pavel, @Pavel Macek, @Fabio Zonin, @Brett Jones, @Anna C, @Steve Freides
Wow, you put me in some amazing company there! I am into weightlifting (Olympic Lifting) almost exclusively for the last 2 years. I just caught the bug and went with it. All previous training has definitely been applicable to this new journey in different ways. It is very humbling to be a beginner with something so difficult and I still consider myself that with weightlifting. Maybe just barely breaking into intermediate now, with 2 meets behind me and gaining consistency with decent technique.

Wow, you put me in some amazing company there! I am into weightlifting (Olympic Lifting) almost exclusively for the last 2 years. I just caught the bug and went with it. All previous training has definitely been applicable to this new journey in different ways. It is very humbling to be a beginner with something so difficult and I still consider myself that with weightlifting. Maybe just barely breaking into intermediate now, with 2 meets behind me and gaining consistency with decent technique.
That’s me and kettlebells! Thank you

Just curious, random thought…what are some of the instructors doing these days in terms of exercises? Like @Pavel, @Pavel Macek, @Fabio Zonin, @Brett Jones, @Anna C, @Steve Freides ; I know Pavel M does his fitness logs which are very interesting. Would just love to see what sorts of patterns and routines interest these experienced men and women at this point in their lives.
I've been keeping a training log online for nine years now. We Ride Chickens My training is a combination of getting ready for a powerlifting meet mid-February directly and other things that help me in the pursuit of that goal.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom