all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bent press recovery

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
I have been training the bent press for a few months. I have Dave Whitley's book "Taming the Bent Press" and am working the programs and progressions. It is becoming my favourite lifts because of the strenght and mobility achieved, and happiness from lifting heavy stuff over head.

Which bent press recovery method is more beneficial the wedge or the overhead squat? I do both, but seem to instinctively do the overhead squat with heavy weights. Is it good to train both or focus on one style?

Hey,

I'd think overhead squats, as you already underlined !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Generally speaking, perform an exercise in the way that allows you to move the most weight with the least chance of injury ( that is assuming you want to focus on a minimum of movements). If you have a long torso (relative to your limbs), or have a long history of squatting, a "squattier" version may be the way to go. If you want to work on your hinge pattern, there are probably better ways to do it than practicing a slightly different versions of the bent press.

I have an Olympic lifting background so I am a proficient squatter. I have only been training kettlebells for a few months.

I will be training the "two hands anyhow" in a few weeks and I understand you use the overhead squat version. You use the drop of the hips to leverage the lighter bell into the rack.

So in the coming weeks I will focus on the overhead squat version.

"more beneficial" is a very vague idea.......play with both and don't be stuck on "this is the only way".

I read a Siegmund Klein article where he mentions "training a false style" which would limit the amount of weight supported.

It got me thinking "What is my bent press style?".

I'd like to take this chance to thank you for opening up a new world of old time strongman for me. I was getting bored of the same old stuff, and now I am having fun again.

I love the bent press. If you don't have Tamer's book yet, get it! The progression in it is spectacular. I constantly put myself and my students through it. Priceless material.

Dave Whitley's book is awesome. I especially love the pressing get ups. I had never heard of Original Strength prior to reading Taming the Bent Press. Implementing the movements has made a big difference in movement quality and recovery.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom