all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Best abs/core exercises?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bigpp5

First Post
I know the abs "are made in the kitchen" but i think i already have a low body fat percentage and my abs are visible.
I already tried youtube workouts but some of them are too easy, i'm intermediate in calisthenics with some results so recommend me anything.
Sorry for the bad english, i'm learning. ty

Best for what? A burn or to get strength? This is a list of some of the hardest grinding exercises...
typically pick only one exercise and do 2 sets of 5 reps at the end of your session. Stay within technical mastery - no burns...

TGU
HLR
Janda Situps
Front Lever
One Arm Suitcase Dead Lift
One Arm Farmer Walks or One Arm Waiter Press Walks (30-50 yards each side is one set)
Heavy Single Arm Swings/Snatches SF style.
Saxon Side Bend (strict)

Best for what? A burn or to get strength? This is a list of some of the hardest grinding exercises...
typically pick only one exercise and do 2 sets of 5 reps at the end of your session. Stay within technical mastery - no burns...

TGU
HLR
Janda Situps
Front Lever
One Arm Suitcase Dead Lift
One Arm Farmer Walks or One Arm Waiter Press Walks (30-50 yards each side is one set)
Heavy Single Arm Swings/Snatches SF style.
Saxon Side Bend (strict)
Thank you so much!!! This is all i needed

Hello,

@bigpp5
Welcome on SF !

Here is a picture with indicative BF %:
The best option remains to measure it (3 or 5 points method for instance).

Then, regarding naming exercises, this is a tough question because it depends on:
- your history (do you have (or did you have) an injury for example)
- do you already practice a sport (careful of overuse)
- do you already have a aroutine (abs or any other body part),
- what is your current level (planche or front lever for a few seconds, which very advanced, or multiple sit ups, which is more "doable")
- do you look for "pure strength" or more something like 'health' (Stu McGill "Big 3" oriented)

As far as your question goes, below is something:
- progression toward front lever
- progression toward planche (or even straddle)
- floor wipers
- bridge / hip extension

Kind regards,

Pet'

@bigpp5 I would definitely recommend reading Hard Style Abs (the book) by Pavel Tsatsouline. It’s a gem and one of my favorite books.

He covers hardstyle breathing, the hardstyle sit-up, internal isometrics, and the hanging leg raise in great detail. Working the midsection has just as much (or more) to do with HOW you do it vs. WHAT you do. Once you know the principles, you can get an “ab workout” standing in line at a grocery store.

My go-to movements are the hanging leg raise, the $15 ab wheel, the hardstyle plank, and the hardstyle sitback (which you learn at SFB). 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps, 3 times/week. But again, my midsection is working ALL the time - during swings, getups, military press, etc.

Hello,

I admit that ab wheel is really a "core killer". However, I'd be cautious because we often see folks who do not do the move correctly :
- no glute glutes / harmstring contraction (so it creates a lower back arch)
- no scapulta engagement

Kind regards,

Pet'

Ab Wheel (or Ring/suspension trainer rollouts)
Planks/sideplanks
Deadbugs
and Dragon flags (they are my favorite because you look cool doing them. it matters.)

deadbugs are great for teaching that cross core connection. Amazing for beginners and intermediate. But once you have it, it goes on the pile of burners... This is in my personal joint mobility routine because it's 'easy' for me and reminds me of the x-connect.

Stir the pot is quite similar to deadbugs for me - teaches integration and stability nicely. But the need for a swiss ball means it's out for me...

The RKC plank has long life value for strong people - how hard can you do that isometric contraction? And is very safe so long as you can handle the internal pressure!

deadbugs are great for teaching that cross core connection. Amazing for beginners and intermediate. But once you have it, it goes on the pile of burners... This is in my personal joint mobility routine because it's 'easy' for me and reminds me of the x-connect.

Stir the pot is quite similar to deadbugs for me - teaches integration and stability nicely. But the need for a swiss ball means it's out for me...

The RKC plank has long life value for strong people - how hard can you do that isometric contraction? And is very safe so long as you can handle the internal pressure!

Deadbugs can definetly become burners once you get past a dozen reps, but putting a dumbbell in each hand is a good way to stay strength focused! Plus, for many, building endurance with with core tension through higher rep work is helpful!

Also, I've found L sits on the floor or bar to be very useful!

Last edited:
Deadbugs can definetly become burners once you get past a dozen reps, but putting a dumbbell in each hand is a good way to stay strength focused! Plus, for many, building endurance with with core tension through higher rep work is helpful!

Also, I've found L sits on the floor or bar to be very useful!

Deadbugs:
I don't believe in burners for abs... that's why I didn't include them in my initial list.
Also, I don't believe in loading this one - it's primary purpose in my mind is to relearn proper body mechanics.

Hello,

IMHO, we have to define the goal.

In all cases, the primary function of the core is stabilization and transfer of force (from leg to upper body).

We still can train the core muscle with different perspectives:
- prehab / rehab / restauration, using Mc Gill's "Big 3". Even strong lifter or athlete (Brian Carroll, Ivana Chapman, etc...) use his system by the way and find benefit from it. He is also advocated by Pavel
- strength (basically, what we can find in Pavel's Bulletproof).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
A lot of good suggestions above. I will mention a few of my favourites and why.
1, ab Wheel - a complete ab builder and great for structural integrity.
2, planks - same as above.
3, hanging knee/leg raises - fractions the spine as well as works the ENTIRE abs and psoas.
4, cable crunches - great vanity lift for the abs providing you are lean enough to see their effects.
5, jammer twists - for explosive twisting power. Favoured by throwers and utilised by the martial arts community too for its effectiveness.

But to see the abs you need to be lean enough. If you can't see your abs at all right now you are simply too fat to see them. This isn't a personal attack just the truth.

@bigpp5 I would definitely recommend reading Hard Style Abs (the book) by Pavel Tsatsouline. It’s a gem and one of my favorite books.

He covers hardstyle breathing, the hardstyle sit-up, internal isometrics, and the hanging leg raise in great detail. Working the midsection has just as much (or more) to do with HOW you do it vs. WHAT you do. Once you know the principles, you can get an “ab workout” standing in line at a grocery store.

My go-to movements are the hanging leg raise, the $15 ab wheel, the hardstyle plank, and the hardstyle sitback (which you learn at SFB). 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps, 3 times/week. But again, my midsection is working ALL the time - during swings, getups, military press, etc.

You just inspired me to purchase this book!

It's one of the best. Seriously!

I agree I'm already almost done reading. I was hesitant to purchase in the past because I thought I would need to purchase additional equipment but the hardstyle situps work great with a resistance band. I know that as soon as I stop firing the correct muscles my feet leave the floor. For 5 dollars on Amazon Kindle, this sounds like the answer to OPs question.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom