all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Best chalk setup for KB use at home

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bauer

Level 8 Valued Member
After reading S&S 2.0 I am considering the use of chalk.

However, I train in my living room and don't want to ruin my nice carpet :D
Just kidding. We have a hard wood floor in our living room. That being said I still want to minimize chalk dust and chalk stains.

Does anyone use chalk bags? Chalk blocks? Chalk balls? Liquid chalk?
At the moment I am considering liquid chalk or chalk balls as both options seem to minimize unwanted chalk spillage. But I would first like to hear your recommendations or experiences before ordering.

Thanks.

Just kidding. We have a hard wood floor in our living room. That being said I still want to minimize chalk dust and chalk stains.

At the moment I am considering liquid chalk or chalk balls as both options seem to minimize unwanted chalk spillage. But I would first like to hear your recommendations or experiences before ordering.

Thanks.
I use liquid. Its easy to apply too much. And ye really want to close the bottle or it gets solid.

Thanks.

I will need to read new edition to understand the context of Pavel's chalk recommendations. Chalk is not a magic bullet, in fact I never started using chalk until I was using 36/40kg bells. I use chalk in these 3 circumstances:
* hands get so sweaty, you risk the bell flying out of your hand
* Bell is heavy enough that it will shift during a set to pinch/tear calluses
* I just got done polishing off a bucket of fried chicken

Chalk can dry out the skin and make it more susceptible to tearing if used too frequently.

Personally, I use chalk blocks. Between sets I use am emery board to file on any calluses that pinch up and apply more chalk if needed.

Good Luck!

You really should use chalk!
I always use liquid chalk and train exclusively in my appartment/at my parent's place. Sometimes it leaves chalk stains but they always can be cleaned away. Never had any issues with that.

Same. TupperWare crew represent!

I'm cheap so I use a Glad food container. :D

I should expand my comment on the spray stuff I used. Several here have mentioned liquid chalk. I don't know if the stuff I had was the same, but if it was then be careful with liquids. They can get too sticky and tear your skin off with kettlebells. You want good grip with the ability to allow the KB to rotate in your hand. The liquid stuff was great for deadlifts and movements where my hands did not need to rotate.

I'm cheap so I use a Glad food container. :D
I like the trusty old cool whip container.

I should expand my comment on the spray stuff I used. Several here have mentioned liquid chalk. I don't know if the stuff I had was the same, but if it was then be careful with liquids. They can get too sticky and tear your skin off with kettlebells. You want good grip with the ability to allow the KB to rotate in your hand. The liquid stuff was great for deadlifts and movements where my hands did not need to rotate.

Good point. You don't want to get too sticky, or it will tear your hands up. For all the physics nerds out there, besides it's drying qualities, regular chalk will actually lower the static coefficient of friction, but increase the dynamic coefficient of friction to make it the transition very uniform from static to dynamic. Meaning chalk will let the bell to break away with less force and start rotating easier, but you still maintain enough grip/friction to maintain control through this slight rotation.

Again, I think it's nice to use, but you can get away not using it in the early stages with a smaller bell, and you can control the moisture/sweat. You hands and calluses will scream at you to start using chalk when the bell get heavy enough.

I like the trusty old cool whip container.

You win the cheap award.

For all the physics nerds out there, besides it's drying qualities, regular chalk will actually lower the static coefficient of friction, but increase the dynamic coefficient of friction to make it the transition very uniform from static to dynamic. Meaning chalk will let the bell to break away with less force and start rotating easier, but you still maintain enough grip/friction to maintain control through this slight rotation.

With this quote, you win the Internet for today.

Same. TupperWare crew represent!

Well, mine is Rubbermaid brand, but close enough.

I keep a block of chalk in it, but at this point it sits in a substantial quantity of powder that has rubbed off the last couple of blocks I've gone through.

The container limits the messiness somewhat, but some still gets around. Luckily I have a dedicated courage corner with stall mats covering the floor so a little mess isn't a problem.

With this quote, you win the Internet for today.

Duh-Winning-55132393261.png

I don't use chalk for KB's as I have never had or seen the need to.

However I do use it climbing (use indoors / almost never use outdoors)

Friction Labs make a good product both in liquid and powder.

I’ve always used a chalk shot. It’s not too messy. I just keep it in a large ziplock bag and give it a squeeze or two, once or twice during my A+A sessions. My yoga mat catches any mess usually.

Cool Whip - do they still make that? I used to love that stuff.

-S-

I`m new to using chalk.
Bought some liquid chalk and it seems that if I put on too little, my hands wont get white coating of chalk but just sticky.
I found that maybe a teen spoon seems to be a good amount...
Wonder if this is normal or does it depend much on the brand?

Silly question, am I supposed to clean the kettlebell after every session or does it matter if I leave to old chalk on the handle?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom