all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Best chalk setup for KB use at home

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I use Liquid Grip during the summer when sweat is an issue. There's almost no dust. It's very easy to overdo it and get a lot of grab, which can be good for the occasional very humid day or for trying something at the very limit of your grip capability. But used like this everyday I found it tugged on my callouses severely.

Now I use it very sparingly (a blob the size of a cotton bud tip) and ideally not at all. I've found that going without challenges (and improves) my hook technique and my grip strength.

Cleaning my hands with washing up liquid beforehand (to remove some of the natural skin oils) is usually as much as it takes this time of year. In the summer I might give real chalk a go again as I don't remember it having as dramatic an effect as the liquid stuff.

I have a chalk bag used by climbers. I can rub the chalk on inside the bag and not loose any. Then I just have to remember to not clap my hands together after chalking them, hahahaha. I get a few sprinkles on the floor, but sweeping the floor is part of the routine so it get's picked up. I only use chalk on swings. I don't bother with it on get ups.

@Maine-ah KB, in my younger days, I'd do things like stir hot fudge sauce into cool whip and eat it with a spoon.

-S-

I'm British and, as such, have no idea what Cool Whip is, but even I think that sounds amazing.

Back to the topic, I'm a proponent of chalk balls (powdered chalk packed in a fine mesh bag). I keep it in a plastic container and use it sparingly. In the gym we have chalk blocks in a bowl and, while they offer superior grip, it's very messy and not recommended unless you have a dedicated home gym or don't mind doing a lot of sweeping up and mopping.

Oh Cool Whip still defiantly exists, its a staple at my families thanksgivings.

Great! I didn't know that since my wife has only been buying this off brand of "organic" whipped cream for years. I guess she prefers organic because it's more readily absorbed by your fat cells.

One more note on chalk. I also prefer the chalk in blocks because I vary the thickness of chalk across my hand. I usually smear a lot more over the calluses at the base of my fingers. lets the calluses slide a little more without pinching as much.

Silly question, am I supposed to clean the kettlebell after every session or does it matter if I leave to old chalk on the handle?

Chalk draws moisture away from your hands but if it builds up on the kettlebell, it will draw moisture towards the handle and cause premature rusting.

From the Wikipedia link:
“Cool Whip Original is made of water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconutand palm kernel oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skim milk, light cream (less than 2%), sodium caseinate, natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, sodium polyphosphate, and beta carotene (as a coloring).[13]

mmmmh that sounds delicious :confused:

what’s wrong with just whipping some cream?

on chalk, I always use chalk on swings and snatches, but it takes a while of finding that goldilocks amount that is exactly right between not enough and too much
I use a block which creates a lot of dust, so for living rooms something else might be much better

As the kids say nowadays, that looks dutty, bruv.

Oh, and back to chalk, I was at my weightlifting gym earlier and chalked up with a solid block of chalk and, contrary to what I said in my earlier post, if handled carefully and stored in a properly-sealed container, solid chalk blocks don't actually make much mess (if any).

Sure, if you use loads of chalk and clap your hands after chalking up you'll make a mess, but if you're only applying tiny amounts and rubbing your hands together you should experience minimal mess and should get a lot of use from a single block.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom