all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Best Kettlebell for Newbies

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BrandonT

Level 1 Valued Member
What is the best KB to buy nowadays? The PB is more affordable but will the inscription on the KB be recessed enough(as in scratch the forearm)? Or is it better to get one from DD?
For the actual SFG 1instructor entrance test which one will I have to use ?

"An average man should start with a 35-pounder. What is “average”? —Given the bench press as a typical, albeit misguided, standard of strength, men with a bench press under 200 pounds should start with a 35-pounder. If you bench more than 200, a 44 that weighs as much as a big barbell plate will do the trick. Unless you are a powerlifter or a strongman, you have no business starting with a 53."
Pavel Tsatsouline - Enter the Kettlebell

Starting with 24kg, if your not strong enough, will force your focus on the weight instead of technique. Of course if you are strong enough, go for 24kg!

The PB is more affordable but will the inscription on the KB be recessed enough(as in scratch the forearm)? Or is it better to get one from DD?

If you are asking as to best design, I believe this tends to differ from user to user. Some folks really enjoy the old iron versions, and some like competition bells. If you are looking at the price tags that will certainly steer you one way or another. I do not know if anything will scratch your forearm, but you could always try long sleeves? Perhaps looking around at some gyms or sports stores and taking several different brands for a test drive might be the way to find something you like.

@BrandonT I personally recommend to get 16 and 24.

+1 to Mr. Macek

i have an RKC 24kg, which is my favorite design, great mix of smooth finish with enough texture to maintain grip without tearing up my paws,
i also have a Perform Better 24kg, 32kg, 40kg and 48kg-also nice but a bit grittier,
and i have a Rogue 32, grittiest, but still good.

for the SFG test, i imagine, you will probably use one of these three, maybe an Ader or an American Barbell - depends on the gym hosting the cert. But, full disclosure, i have not attended a teaching or cert so others will be able to chime based on that experience.

What is the best KB to buy nowadays? The PB is more affordable but will the inscription on the KB be recessed enough(as in scratch the forearm)? Or is it better to get one from DD?
For the actual SFG 1instructor entrance test which one will I have to use ?

I have both. Both are fine and the inscriptions don't bother the arm. Personally, I prefer the DD ones. Maybe just because that is what I learned on and have become spoiled. They seem smoother around the handle and the quality has proven to stand up over time.

So the New PB kettelbell design does not stick out where it could rub the forearms? FYI I have Enter the KB and the DVD is also on its way- will be getting the 16kg first but the issue is what brand PB or DD ?

Disclaimer: I do S&S only.

I have big hands so some of the bells lands on my wrist - because of a short handle. That's painful. So make sure the bell doesn't rest on your wrist.

For me everything else is details and interesting variations.

Reactions: Maq
So the New PB kettelbell design does not stick out where it could rub the forearms? FYI I have Enter the KB and the DVD is also on its way- will be getting the 16kg first but the issue is what brand PB or DD ?
DD bells are really nice - i think they are the best - but you will pay 50% more - the PBs are also nice and absolutely fine for training - so it really comes down to budget - if you continue on this quest, which i highly recommend -you will probably end up with 4 to 10 bells a few years down the road - that's where the cost starts to become an issue for many - but that may not be a concern for you - if finances are not an issue i would go with the DD.

Well finances are always a issue but I feel this is an investment for working to my HKC then SFG 1. So I guess the pic is off but does look like Perform Better logo is raised up and not recessed like the Adlers or Apollos are. How do you guys feel about the Apollos??

Well finances are always a issue but I feel this is an investment for working to my HKC then SFG 1. So I guess the pic is off but does look like Perform Better logo is raised up and not recessed like the Adlers or Apollos are. How do you guys feel about the Apollos??

Are you talking about the new pb with the big yellow writing? I have one, Ill try it and let you know. Both sides aren't like that so even if it does you could just arrange it so the smoother side against your skin.

Just a thought , but the writing shouldn't be an issue some people use bells with animal faces carved into them. If you are that worried about forearm pain maybe you shouldn't start KBS ,your forearms will hurt at first regardless of writing or whatever . Good luck!

Last edited:
Just a thought , but the writing shouldn't be an issue some people use bells with animal faces carved into them. If you are that worried about forearm pain maybe you shouldn't start KBS ,your forearms will hurt at first regardless of writing or whatever . Good luck!

I think he's talking more about skin abrasions than discomfort from the bell pressing on a certain spot. And I never understood the point of the animal bells. Money I guess?

Yeah I don't see the point either ,stop and turn the bell around to rack them etc. I have a PB with raised letters it does not bother my arm, that said I don't rub the bell back and forth across my arm either . It either sits in one spot or it doesn't .

Apollos are okay but check the handles. Sometimes there is a bad seam crease. Aders are similar shape and price but better quality. I really liked the MD USA V4 bells but they have gone out of business. :(

Apollos are okay but check the handles. Sometimes there is a bad seam crease. Aders are similar shape and price but better quality. I really liked the MD USA V4 bells but they have gone out of business. :(
They are the only ones that i can find local (so no shipping$$) the handles don’t feel bad. I just saw a review and they are a tad bit taller than the DD and PBs. Is that and issue starting out ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom