all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Best overall kettlebell strength lift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NoahMarek

Level 5 Valued Member
If you could choose one exercise to develop strength with a kettlebell, what would it be and why?

I would lean towards the snatch due to the full body nature of it and specifically how it strengthens the grip, posterior chain, and shoulders. I know it’s a ballistic which isn’t ideal as a pure strength lift, but it seems like the best option for overall strength using a kettlebell.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

That's a tough one because of the nature of the strength built right? My gut answer would be heavy TGU done at various "speeds", slow vs. a moderate speed.

I've only done a few different sessions focused around the double jerk before and it seems like it would really tick off most of the boxes. There's a grind and ballistic element to it. Just doing 3x5 doubles with a 16kg hit me pretty hard.

If you could choose one exercise to develop strength with a kettlebell, what would it be and why?

I would lean towards the snatch due to the full body nature of it and specifically how it strengthens the grip, posterior chain, and shoulders. I know it’s a ballistic which isn’t ideal as a pure strength lift, but it seems like the best option for overall strength using a kettlebell.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

If I really, really, really had to choose one exercise, I’d pick the kettlebell squat: legs, midsection (anterior and posterior), upper back, shoulders, lats, glutes and even some hammies.

And, generally speaking, if you can squat it, you can deadlift it too (without training).

And if combo movements are allowed, nothing can beat the clean-squat-press. But it feels like a cheat response.

When the UFC first began in the 90s and different disciplines were more independent, Gracie JiuJitsu was very dominant until MMA became it's own hybrid of multiple disciplines. Similarly, when strongman started in the 70's and different strength sports were more independent, Bruce Wilhelm (weightlifter) was successful until the events were more known and Bill Kaz' (powerlifter) competed.

I've really only seen a weightlifter and powerlifter using the kettlebell for swings so I would say the swing.

So, the issue with my choice, the snatch, is that it will not promote hypertrophy as easily as grind type lifts unless done for high volume. Systemic hypertrophy is a very important variable in gaining absolute strength undoubtably.

I have never thought of the get up as a good strength lift. After learning the skill, I was able to do a 40kg get up pretty quickly. After doing a press program with 32kg, I did a 48kg get up smoothly without training the get up. Anecdotal I know, but I just don’t think the get up would transfer over to other lifts in the same way and it definitely is not a great choice for hypertrophy. It’s a great lift for other reasons, but a poor one for raw strength in my opinion.

Clean and press, bent press, and kettlebell squats (double kettlebell front squat probably?) all sound like good choices to me.

For clarification, the reason I am asking about the best kettlebell strength exercise is 1) discussion is fun and 2) kettlebells develop power and endurance very well, but absolute strength is not a strong suit of kettlebell training so I want to hear/discuss others’ thoughts on this.

So, the issue with my choice, the snatch, is that it will not promote hypertrophy as easily as grind type lifts unless done for high volume. Systemic hypertrophy is a very important variable in gaining absolute strength undoubtably.

I have never thought of the get up as a good strength lift. After learning the skill, I was able to do a 40kg get up pretty quickly. After doing a press program with 32kg, I did a 48kg get up smoothly without training the get up. Anecdotal I know, but I just don’t think the get up would transfer over to other lifts in the same way and it definitely is not a great choice for hypertrophy. It’s a great lift for other reasons, but a poor one for raw strength in my opinion.

Clean and press, bent press, and kettlebell squats (double kettlebell front squat probably?) all sound like good choices to me.

For clarification, the reason I am asking about the best kettlebell strength exercise is 1) discussion is fun and 2) kettlebells develop power and endurance very well, but absolute strength is not a strong suit of kettlebell training so I want to hear/discuss others’ thoughts on this.

I agree 100%. In my own experiences the get up has been underwhelming and hasn't lived up to the hype it seems to get.

I answered for myself (the getup develops the kind of strength I want - all-over, general, strong-enough, "functional" strength).

In terms of someone else displaying raw strength with kettlebells, I have to say the bent press or the two-hands anyhow. @Harald Motz has an amazing display of this a few months ago: 51kg getup, curl up another 36kg bell to the rack, strict press, double rack, reverse curl the 36 down while keeping the 51kg in the "bent press rack", then cleaning the 51kg down. It's nearly a minute of high tension but looks like a machine. To me, it's one of the most impressive feats of strength I've seen.

I agree 100%. In my own experiences the get up has been underwhelming and hasn't lived up to the hype it seems to get.

Slightly off the thread topic... but I think the TGU at least deserves credit for what it is. Is it a good way to build max strength? No - I'm doubtful anyone sees much direct carryover from TGU to other lifts. TGU is an exercise in resisting force, as opposed to creating it. I like to say it's an exercise in taking punishment. To me, the TGU is about hardening the body and mind, building a frame on which you can stack other strength. And to get those benefits, I think you have to grind away at the TGUs for a sustained time (i.e. more than a couple reps). I find that the TGU teaches me to develop tension that I can then apply in focused max strength training.

2) kettlebells develop power and endurance very well, but absolute strength is not a strong suit of kettlebell training so I want to hear/discuss others’ thoughts on this.

I actually started kettlebell strong sport internet league few days ago. And strenght levels of these good guys are awesome. One guy did 47 long cycles with 40kg in 4mins. Only one handswich and another guy did 36 reps with 44kg. He weights propaly ~75kg...
All they really do is kbs and running and they are strong. :)

I can't count the clean and the press as a single move. So I can't pick it.

Even if I've done very little of it, I think I'll pick jerk this time.

but absolute strength is not a strong suit of kettlebell training so I want to hear/discuss others’ thoughts on this.

The kettlebell is just a tool. it´s how you use it that matters. if you press heavy bells your pressing strength will go up. if you dead snatch a heavy weight, your explosivness goes up. if you stay with leighter bells, nothing will change.

At this moment- I am loving the double high pull. I find this to be an 'All in one' movement. All will change once I learn the double clean and jerk...that has to be the ultimate movement.

@Sergej Respectfully, I disagree. You just can’t develop absolute strength as easily or in the same way as you can with a barbell. I am well aware that the weights and program you use will determine the training effect, but that doesn’t change the experience of many that absolute strength is developed better and more easily by barbell training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom