all posts post new thread

Best time to do prehab/rehab excersises

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
So ive got a long hike coming up in a few months last time i got a terrible IT band injury towards the end.
Also had it during a long bike ride once too.

This time im going to add lots of resistance band Lateral walks, leg raises, Clamshells etc.
Ive found a decent 10min routine online.

Im not sure the best time to do them, either on my 3 strength training days which would eat into the actual time i get for strength practice cutting it a bit shorter.

Or on rest/mobility days, but is frying my glutes going to hinder recovery?

Or am i over thinking again haha

Does it matter when its done??

So ive got a long hike coming up in a few months last time i got a terrible IT band injury towards the end.
Also had it during a long bike ride once too.

This time im going to add lots of resistance band Lateral walks, leg raises, Clamshells etc.
Ive found a decent 10min routine online.

Im not sure the best time to do them, either on my 3 strength training days which would eat into the actual time i get for strength practice cutting it a bit shorter.

Or am i over thinking again haha

Does it matter when its done??

Chad Wesley Smith from Juggernaut has a video about BJJ conditioning and he works these into a tempo interval practice. 45 Seconds of aerobic work at 70% effort (70-80% max heart rate), 15 seconds off, 45 seconds low level calisthenics/band work, 15 seconds off. Starts with 20-40 minutes total, work up to 60 minutes, 2-5 times per week.

Is it the best way to do them? I don't know. It does keep the aerobic work more interesting and gives a good time to knock out of the little stuff people like me otherwise just don't do.

I try to do rehab/prehab/accessory work at the tail end of workouts. The problem, of course, is that they often get axed because I'm tired and don't really want to do them.

Alternatively, I have "workouts i do when i don't want to work out" - generally these consist of one, two, or at most three exercises that I can bang out pretty quickly without a lot of time and emotional commitment. I usually finish these sessions in 15 minutes if I'm focused. Here are my regular "workouts I do when I don't want to work out" (which I end up doing probably once a week or so):

- 100 push-ups (sets of 20-40, abs/triceps/chest)
- YATs w. microband (4-6sets of 50-50-50, shoulder prehab)
- Twist Yo' Wrist (wrist/forearm - radial/ulnar extension)
- EDT session of push-ups, pull-ups, 45 degree hyperextensions (15 minutes rotating among these 3 exercises)

fwiw, I consider stretching and walking as prehab, but I don't generally log it in my training notes.

If it's rehab/prehab, you shouldn't be frying your glutes. Light band work and the type of work you mention shouldn't be too hard to recover from. On rest days should be fine.

With active physical therapy (PT)/rehab, I've found it best to do as a separate session (which obviously will be the case if you're GOING to PT), but it didn't seem to matter if that was on rest days or just a few hours away from strength or other training sessions. Word to the wise: Although most PT/rehab isn't all that systemically demanding, be sure to account for the training volume in the overall scheme of things, and perhaps back off on something else for a while, especially when you're just getting started with it. In contrast, when just maintaining or at the tail end of a phase of PT/rehab, I just work in some of the exercises in warm-up, cool-down, or both, within regular training sessions.

Best-that-doesn’t-happen is worse than good-that-does. Rehab/Prehab are often one of the first things to get cut out of a program because we don’t enjoy them so they kind of just wander off. Pick the time that will consistently happen and do them then. Don’t worry if there’s a “best” time to do them.

Back
Top Bottom