all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Best way to dose daily side presses

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rickyw

Level 7 Valued Member
Any ideas? I have never side pressed before but wanted to start working the move. I don't have quite the flexibility for a bent press at this point. Thanks

Hi,
I was waiting for someone more knowledgeable than me to come in but here goes.

First off - what else are you doing in the workout ?

The exercise is well documented in Power to the People paired with the deadlift - 2 sets of 5 side press on each side and later 5/3/2 on each side.

This is a minimalist approach if that is what you are looking for. You could pair with swings / snatches if you wished. Now there is a lot of wisdom out there that will advise keeping to that rep range and I have to be honest it is one that I favour. But I have no flag to fly or axe to grind and I know that there are plenty of routines involving high amount of singles / doubles which have a following of people who know what they are talking about. Taming the Bent Press contains such programmes and I made good progress on Bent and Sinister (pairing of swings and 10 singles per side bent press) for a time. My press is somewhere lower than a side press but not quite as deep as a bent press and I refer to it as a "bending press". It's not an "official" lift as far as I know but it's my yard and my game and definitely my bells :)(y).
If you are looking to go for it daily then a couple of sets of 5 or 10 singles per side may be a suitable rep range for you.

Hope this helps in some way - good luck whatever you do.

Ian

@Ian V , yes sorry I didn’t clarify. I would be doing them with 60-140 swings in sets of 8-10 reps ideally 4 days per week.

Then try 5 - 10 reps each side - singles / 2-3-5 / 5-3-2 / 5-5
Give it a few weeks and I'm sure you'll get good results.

Enjoy !

Any ideas? I have never side pressed before but wanted to start working the move. I don't have quite the flexibility for a bent press at this point. Thanks
For me, a new movement means picking a weight I can manage for a few, comfortable singles and building up some volume. No structure, just a goal of a few, decent reps a few times a week until you feel like you’re ready for something more structured.

-S-

@Steve Freides , I actually have been doing that these past couple of days. I'm glad to know I'm on the right track. Thank you.

@NoahMarek , good question. Because I've reached the 1/2 body weight one arm press standard and want to train more of a bent over position that engages the lat a little heavier and strengthens the shoulder more in an externally rotated position. My left shoulder could especially benefit. I also figure it will help me in my profession since I bend over patients all day sometimes at odd angles.

I've been doing what Steve mentioned above for a month or two. I do it with windmills at the end of my training. I just pepper it in a few times a week. It's been benificial.

I'm having great results pressing double bells for singles x 30-40 reps 4-5 times per week. It's really helping knit together my injured shoulder. You have to use sub-maximal loads though, like 60-70% RM. It's probably a good idea to add in some type of opposing pull like maybe a staggered stance 1 arm row. I've added pull-ups to mine.

I'm having great results pressing double bells for singles x 30-40 reps 4-5 times per week. It's really helping knit together my injured shoulder. You have to use sub-maximal loads though, like 60-70% RM. It's probably a good idea to add in some type of opposing pull like maybe a staggered stance 1 arm row. I've added pull-ups to mine.

30-40 reps total per week?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom