all posts post new thread

Barbell Best way to overload the triceps?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

liftit78

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello- although i am a new poster; i follow Strong First community on this site, and even attended intro to kettlebell course in NYC. I am writing because I am stuck on standing barbell OHP lockout.
What is the best way to overload and train the tricep so that it can pick up the lift where the shoulders leave off. I would prefer not to do push presses if possible...looking for some insight. Thank you!!

@liftit78, welcome to StrongFirst.

There was a blog by Pavel about using close-grip bench press to help with triceps development/strength as a way to improve one's kettlebell military press.

Can someone please post a link to that?

Thanks, everyone.

-S-

Hello,

@lifit78
Welcome to StrongFirst !

Lots of alternatives :
-> weighted dips (3 to 5 sets of 3 to 5 reps, @75%)
-> Soju and Tuba like program
-> HSPU with increasing defcit

Kind regards,

Pet'

liftit78- Floor presses with bells, dumbbells or a barbell work well for powerlifters. 2,3,4 board presses work great as well. Decline presses do ok to a lesser extent if a close grip is used.

Dips, decline close grip bench, all types of band extensions (overhead, straight down), partial ohp (like 1 inch rom) holds (heavier than you can press)

Great advice! This will help. Say my OHP stalls out at Xlbs for lockout. What weights do I use to overload the triceps to be able to handle weight X?

Push Press and Power Jerk is the best way to progress your Military Press. They are more technically demanding. Why do you not want to Push Press? If you want to overload the top half of the Military Press those are the best option. You are not only strengthening the triceps, you strengthen everything to support more weight overhead.

Of course Close Grip Bench and Dips would be your best options for heavy tricep exercises.

Hello,

Say my OHP stalls out at Xlbs for lockout. What weights do I use to overload the triceps to be able to handle weight X?
It can be difficult to say.

> How many times per week will you train ?
> What is your current 1RM ?
> What is your target ?

Do you have other physical activities ? What moves do you do ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

What is the best way to overload and train the tricep so that it can pick up the lift where the shoulders leave off.

Is the problem triceps strength to lock out, or lower down (bar about eye level) in the dead zone BEFORE the triceps have good leverage to take over?

If the latter, it may be the bottom part of the lift that needs work.

Push Press and Power Jerk is the best way to progress your Military Press. They are more technically demanding. Why do you not want to Push Press? If you want to overload the top half of the Military Press those are the best option. You are not only strengthening the triceps, you strengthen everything to support more weight overhead.

Of course Close Grip Bench and Dips would be your best options for heavy tricep exercises.

you mentioned one of the reasons its more technically demanding and i don't yet have the training to do it with the bar, the right way. in addition this is one of the reasons i front squat 2x a week to have the lower back and core strength to support the ohp

Hello,

It can be difficult to say.

> How many times per week will you train ?
> What is your current 1RM ?
> What is your target ?

Do you have other physical activities ? What moves do you do ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Current max is at 180 this is a clean and press. I train it three times a week per Sheiko bench programming. My other lifts part of the program are Front Squats and DeadLift although recently i took the DL out due to recovery issues and replaced it with swings and barbell rows. My next target over next two months is to hit 190+. I can easily get 190 of my chest. it will really fly up but at mid point where triceps need to take over it stalls. I also found that switching to double kb press and coming back to the bar is not a recipe for immediate bar bell transfer and vice versa. Currently no other physical activities aside from sheiko program.

Is the problem triceps strength to lock out, or lower down (bar about eye level) in the dead zone BEFORE the triceps have good leverage to take over?

If the latter, it may be the bottom part of the lift that needs work.
about mid-forehead... my arm legth is average

More speed off the chest will help get you through the sticking point. Getting your head through and body under the faster helps also. Strength is not always the issue. Flexibility, stability, and technique, or any combination will help improve your Strict Press.

Steep incline bench. Your slow off the chest/shoulders. Also, pin presses from varying heights. Nothing builds front delt strength like high inclines, and the front delts are the money maker in getting the press moving. One last idea, work the traps harder, by themselves or by doing being the neck snatch grip presses.

Like others said:
dips with a certain pattern(otherwise you work the chest)
close grip bench press, try it flat or decline and keep your elbows tucked in
Isolation exercise: lying dumbbell skullcrashers (love them)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom