all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Bet You Can't Eat Just One

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Old TV commercial:

'Tis the season of Girl Scout cookies here - the serving size listed on the box makes no sense to me. It says there are about 8 servings in a box. I think 1-1/2 servings in a box might be about right.

-S-

I was ready to give them up completely a couple of years ago due to general lack of flavor, the Thin Mints tasted like candle wax. This year the onslaught arrived and I went ahead and purchased some boxes only to discover that they were tasty once again! Point being I believe that your serving size is right on the mark. In retrospect it probably would have been better for them to remain tasteless since I have a sweet tooth. One of my summer goals is to cut down sugar intake dramatically. Can I completely eliminate it? Probably, but time will tell. On the plus side I only like two kinds of pie; warm and cold. That might be the problem.

I was ready to give them up completely a couple of years ago due to general lack of flavor, the Thin Mints tasted like candle wax. This year the onslaught arrived and I went ahead and purchased some boxes only to discover that they were tasty once again! Point being I believe that your serving size is right on the mark. In retrospect it probably would have been better for them to remain tasteless since I have a sweet tooth. One of my summer goals is to cut down sugar intake dramatically. Can I completely eliminate it? Probably, but time will tell. On the plus side I only like two kinds of pie; warm and cold. That might be the problem.

Apparently different areas of the country use different bakeries/suppliers. My daughter is going to college in Wichita and the cookies they have there are "different."

It says there are about 8 servings in a box. I think 1-1/2 servings in a box might be about right.

My wife and I have this "argument" all the time. She thinks that the term "serving size" is literally the size of a serving that every person should eat at one sitting. For her, if you eat more than "one serving" at a time you are overeating. I say it's more of a unit of measure for those who take the time to count calories and other macro-nutrients. So, if a person wants to eat "two servings," that's fine as long as the person understands that the numbers on the side of the box must be multiplied by "2" for purposes of calculating daily caloric intake. It's like "miles per hour." On a long road trip, no one drives only one hour a day.

Then again, I've been known to eat like crap so I may be wrong on this.

I'm with your wife on this one, @MikeTheBear. If you want to eat more than one serving, that's on you.

That said, serving sizes aren't standardized and sometimes they pick ridiculously small serving sizes in order to make the numbers look like they prefer them to look.

IOW, it ought to work the way your wife says, and sometimes it does.

JMO.

-S-

I cook a lot of stuff to serve 4. My wife has one serving and I, ahem, have the other 3.
A particular rice pudding serves 4 and I can and often do eat the lot as I amend the amounts to serve 6! That's a nice 5 for me. And quite honestly if I was served the paltry suggested amounts in a restaurant I would have a good moan and demand seconds at least. What can I say....fill yer boots.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom