all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Beyond Bodybuilding

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BrettC

Level 1 Valued Member
I know this isn't a 'training' forum but I wasn't sure where else to ask this question.

-relevant demographics: My name is Brett. I'm a 35 y/o male @ 5'11" 190-195# with around 10% BF

I'm a former Pararescue Jumper for the US Air Force (2004-2013). Became active in fitness during high school athletics but took it to a new level when I passed the PJ pipeline. I now train at least 5 x's per week with weights and typically throw in some cardio like running, swimming or bike work.

- injury history: While serving on active duty I ruptured a disc in my back (2009) and had 2 surgeries before medically separating from service in 2013. I still have some discomfort in my lower back, right side when I squat heavy but nothing outside of that. I tend to use pistol squats, lunges and machines more often than heavy barbell squats because of this.

- movement history: During my rehabilitation I attended Athletes Performance (now EXOS). FMS showed great flexibility and my VO2 max was in the mid 60's. Probably still similar to that screen now.

While I was there I learned many drills that are in line with Strong First and really enjoyed it but never stayed with the program after I separated from service. This is why I bought Beyond Bodybuilding, I want to get back to a program like that or one in line with Strong First.

- sports/competition history: No desire to compete at the moment. I just want to be a weekend warrior, increase strength and perhaps run some obstacle races in the future.

-where do you want to go from here? This leads me to my question.

I recently read through Beyond Bodybuilding and loved the Strong as You Look Series but can find any exact info that speaks to what the entire program would look like. Is there any info out there that would help me build a program like this or is there program that is the same?

Thanks,

Brett

@BrettC It's my understanding that the chapter you mentioned is dedicated to upper body lifts only, yes?

I've incorporated lots from BB into various programs over the years (including Spartan Race prep). The best idea is to "reverse engineer" your goals into a plan. That said, any more context into your training goals or what draws you to the info in BB?

@BrettC It's my understanding that the chapter you mentioned is dedicated to upper body lifts only, yes?

I've incorporated lots from BB into various programs over the years (including Spartan Race prep). The best idea is to "reverse engineer" your goals into a plan. That said, any more context into your training goals or what draws you to the info in BB?

So in Beyond Bodybuilding the chapters are split into body part sections with the opening chapters focusing on training cycles or splits for the most part. One of the questions asked in the early chapters references the perfect split for the Strong as you Look series. It said run one high volume/high intensity workout a week per body part. Broke it down as follows...

Mon - Chest
Tues - Back
Wed - Abs
Thurs - Arms
Fri - Legs
Sat - Shoulders
Sun - Off

Now when you get into each individual chapter some mention 3-4 lifts that reference the Strong as You Look series but it's more hidden information and it isn't completely laid out in each article. And there are no articles that reference the neck, shoulders or abs for the Strong as You Look series. I was wondering if Strong First had material on this or is it just in Beyond Bodybuilding.

My end goal is functional strength. When I was in the military I was strong but my core was loose and my back was weak...it caused an injury. When I rehab'ed I was at a multi-million dollar facility with professionals who train top athletes around the world and their program built up my core strength and increased stability in my all around fitness. Helped with running, swimming, lifting and even sports (military intermural stuff). Well, I don't exactly have that same facility option now so my core and back has got a bit weaker than what I would like since I left service. A friend of mine got me looking at Pavel and his programs last year. I love the Strong First mission of producing the same results (functional strength) as those multi-million dollar facilities with less globo-gym type equipment. I did the 5x5x5 40 day challenge from an article I read by Dan John a few months ago and loved the results. It made lifting fun and I saw some great gains in my all around lifting and built my core back. I felt more in control of the lifts and stronger all around. I like lifting and I'm generally looking for a program that will help build strength like what was laid out in the Strong as You Look articles from BB. Who knows...maybe do a human flag in a year or so! =)

@Zack , there is a chapter for every body part.

@BrettC , when looking at the chapters and the book by itself, we get answers like: Chest - Bench Press, Arms - CG Bench Press, Legs - Back Squat, et cetera. So I'd recommend to pick a basic powerlifting program and train by it until the cows come home. From programs on the Internet I really like how the Faleev 5*5 Pavel wrote about on Tim Ferriss' log looks like: Pavel: 80/20 Powerlifting and How to Add 110+ Pounds to Your Lifts

Hello,

Depending on the time to dedicate and previous injury, a program made with deadlift (or squat) + overhead press (or bent press) is an approach as well, because it will give a "full body" workout. Some assistance work such as pull up can also be considered.

To a certain extent, regardless the move we pick up, the principles remain the same. The most important thing, IMO, is to target the whole body with the entire program, while avoiding overtraining (by focusing only on leg for instance).

Kind regards,

Pet'

@BrettC
Welcome...
At the risk of proselytizing... S&S is a pretty good programme that might suit your needs for a while. From my experience it also pairs well with pull-ups and some form of MAF style aerobic work. This will go a long way to developing the functional strength you are seeking.

Hello,

@BrettC
+1 with @offwidth
Considering your goal, S&S matches pretty well. This is proved simple and proved efficient. Neither headache nor overthinking. You basically do the same practice everyday, so you really improve your technique (which reduce injury risk).

You'll get plenty of carryover. For instance, this is common that "Simple" gives a 2X bodyweight DL, a close to 1/2 bdw press, bulletproof abs and core, etc... This program also drastically improved my weighted pistol.

S&S is truly "real life" oriented. Swings will give you plenty of conditioning, but as @offwidth said, MAF running will be a wonderful supplement.

Plenty of assitance / additional exercises can be considered, in function of goals, likes / dislikes, etc... as long as volume is manage accordingly to ensure proper recovery
- pull ups
- MAF running, swimming, etc...
- push ups
- hanging leg rises / janda sit ups

This is only "physical preparation". Of course, S&S works well on a stand alone basis, and help you in any other physical activity because it is based on sub-maximal effort to stay fresh.

Kind regards,

Pet'

You'll get plenty of carryover. For instance, this is common that "Simple" gives a 2X bodyweight DL, a close to 1/2 bdw press, bulletproof abs and core, etc... This program also drastically improved my weighted pistol.

Damn, I better get on the program. No wonder I'm not at those goals yet since I've never really done S&S. And if those results are common, who knows how far I'd be if I didn't waste my time with training concentrated on the deadlift or pressing. I should have done S&S instead.

Damn, I better get on the program. No wonder I'm not at those goals yet since I've never really done S&S. And if those results are common, who knows how far I'd be if I didn't waste my time with training concentrated on the deadlift or pressing. I should have done S&S instead.

Haha, I am inclined to believe it for 150 lbs guys. For us 250+ lbs guys, we would need to hit some sort of über-sinister standard:
using at least 56 kg bell. Maybe then...

@Zack , there is a chapter for every body part.

@BrettC , when looking at the chapters and the book by itself, we get answers like: Chest - Bench Press, Arms - CG Bench Press, Legs - Back Squat, et cetera. So I'd recommend to pick a basic powerlifting program and train by it until the cows come home. From programs on the Internet I really like how the Faleev 5*5 Pavel wrote about on Tim Ferriss' log looks like: Pavel: 80/20 Powerlifting and How to Add 110+ Pounds to Your Lifts

That's one reason I liked 5x5x5 Dan John...simple but effective. I did the challenge so I did it everyday for 40 days. I don't have many hobbies outside of the gym so I have in the past ran 7 day a week programs. None focused on strength training though. That's why I'm looking for the advice from here.

Here is what I pulled from Beyond Bodybuilding, mostly from the Strong as You Look articles but some exercises from other parts of the book. This is also transformed into what I currently have at my gym available to me.

So far each day has averaged around an hour in the gym (Started Monday). I'm feeling a bit sore and tight but I think that's from the weight change as my program before was more superset circuit training with less weights and higher reps. Nothing a little stretching won't take care of. So far I love it.....Feedback is appreciated.

Mon Chest

Barbell Bench 5x4 @ 225-255#

DB Flies (laying on floor) 4x6 @ 45-50#

DB 1-Arm Incline 5x4 @ 80-85#

Cable Flies 4x6

Push-ups

2x20 Reg

2x10 On Med Ball

Ab Machine (Heavy)

Tues Arms Bi's & Tri's

Barbell Curl 3x3 each 1 inch level x 35#

Alt DB Curls 3x5 @ 40#

Hammer Curl/Tricep Ext Cable Combo 3x10

Skullcrusher/Pullover 3x6

Close Grip/Reverse Grip Bench 4x5

Barbell Finger Rolls 6x6

Ab Crunches 3x10 @ 35#

Wed Back

Dimel Deadlifts 3x8 @ 225#

Tac Pull-Ups 5x6

Barbell Suitcase Pulls 3x4 at 35#

Seated Cable Rows 5x5

Thurs Shoulders

Overhead Barbell Press 4x6 @ 35#

DB Side Raises 4x6 @ 20#

Alt DB Press 3x5 @ 50# (Only 1 50# KB at my gym)

KB High Pull 3x12 @ 50#

Handstand Push-Ups 3x6

KB Side Crunch 3x12 @ 50#

Friday Legs (No Weights Yet...Hit it tomorrow)

Parallel Barbell Squat 3x6

Behind the Back Deads

Single Leg DB Calf Raises 3x10

Pistols 4x5

Pyramid Squats 3x20

Hanging Leg Raises

Here is what I pulled from Beyond Bodybuilding, mostly from the Strong as You Look articles but some exercises from other parts of the book. This is also transformed into what I currently have at my gym available to me.

So far each day has averaged around an hour in the gym (Started Monday). I'm feeling a bit sore and tight but I think that's from the weight change as my program before was more superset circuit training with less weights and higher reps. Nothing a little stretching won't take care of. So far I love it.....Feedback is appreciated.

Mon Chest

Barbell Bench 5x4 @ 225-255#

DB Flies (laying on floor) 4x6 @ 45-50#

DB 1-Arm Incline 5x4 @ 80-85#

Cable Flies 4x6

Push-ups

2x20 Reg

2x10 On Med Ball

Ab Machine (Heavy)

Tues Arms Bi's & Tri's

Barbell Curl 3x3 each 1 inch level x 35#

Alt DB Curls 3x5 @ 40#

Hammer Curl/Tricep Ext Cable Combo 3x10

Skullcrusher/Pullover 3x6

Close Grip/Reverse Grip Bench 4x5

Barbell Finger Rolls 6x6

Ab Crunches 3x10 @ 35#

Wed Back

Dimel Deadlifts 3x8 @ 225#

Tac Pull-Ups 5x6

Barbell Suitcase Pulls 3x4 at 35#

Seated Cable Rows 5x5

Thurs Shoulders

Overhead Barbell Press 4x6 @ 35#

DB Side Raises 4x6 @ 20#

Alt DB Press 3x5 @ 50# (Only 1 50# KB at my gym)

KB High Pull 3x12 @ 50#

Handstand Push-Ups 3x6

KB Side Crunch 3x12 @ 50#

Friday Legs (No Weights Yet...Hit it tomorrow)

Parallel Barbell Squat 3x6

Behind the Back Deads

Single Leg DB Calf Raises 3x10

Pistols 4x5

Pyramid Squats 3x20

Hanging Leg Raises

All in all I think you have a solid exercise selection but I would personally see it better to really concentrate on fewer exercises in a cycle. Make the bench press, the back squat and the deadlift your primary exercises and always do them first in a day for each of them and make that time count. Afterwards pick a couple of auxiliary exercises to really drive the point that day.

As a concrete example:

Mon: Back squats, single leg DB Calf raises, tactical pull-ups
Wed: Bench press 5*4, rows, ab wheel
Fri: Deadlift, hanging leg raise, curls

On the days between rest or do whatever variety you like but keep it light enough it doesn't take anything away from the main workouts. After 4-8 weeks change the accessory exercises from each day to something else.

All in all I think you have a solid exercise selection but I would personally see it better to really concentrate on fewer exercises in a cycle. Make the bench press, the back squat and the deadlift your primary exercises and always do them first in a day for each of them and make that time count. Afterwards pick a couple of auxiliary exercises to really drive the point that day.

As a concrete example:

Mon: Back squats, single leg DB Calf raises, tactical pull-ups
Wed: Bench press 5*4, rows, ab wheel
Fri: Deadlift, hanging leg raise, curls

On the days between rest or do whatever variety you like but keep it light enough it doesn't take anything away from the main workouts. After 4-8 weeks change the accessory exercises from each day to something else.

That's solid advice. I've always had an issue with cutting back my training...military has me brainwashed about results from volume. Think the 5x5x5 program with a slight change in accessory exercises each day would fit the bill?

That's solid advice. I've always had an issue with cutting back my training...military has me brainwashed about results from volume. Think the 5x5x5 program with a slight change in accessory exercises each day would fit the bill?

If you have good recovery capabilities it's not necessarily a bad idea to add light days for the squat and the press as well. I do it myself. But it is an individual issue.

Maybe like:

Mon: Squats
Tue: Bench
Wed: DL
Thu: Light bench
Fri: Light squats

All with a couple of suitable accessory lifts added in. The examples I wrote earlier are some I like, as in how they compensate each other; benches with rows make my shoulders feel better, squats and deadlifts stiffen up my back so pull-ups and hanging leg raises ease the back up right away.

The 5*5*5 plan with slight changes should work well as well.

I recently read through Beyond Bodybuilding and loved the Strong as You Look Series but can find any exact info that speaks to what the entire program would look like. Is there any info out there that would help me build a program like this or is there program that is

Brett,

Page 113 of my copy of beyond bodybuilding covers the training split for the strong as you look series.

Jon

Brett,

Page 113 of my copy of beyond bodybuilding covers the training split for the strong as you look series.

Jon

Yea I understand the training split but I was looking for a more detailed plan. What exact exercises they use for each day..reps/sets included. I sort of used my own judgement and built the program I mentioned above but was just wondering if there was more info out on the Strong as You Look series.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom