all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bicep Curls with Kettlebells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mirek

Level 6 Valued Member
I've got your attention now so I can go on.

What I mean are two hand curls with your hands holding the bell by its body, not the handle.
It is basically equivalent to curling the small Atlas stone.

I've tried it today and it is very tendon intense, everything from the tips of your fingers
to the elbows is involved. I plan to use it at the end of my regular workouts as the
fingers/palm/wrist/forearm/elbow strengthener.

Has any of you any experience with them?

Last edited:
I'm gonna try it with my curling belt!

Seriously, sounds like a good exercise. Should drag the pecs, lats into the mix.

I occasionally run a towel through my KB and let it hang behind my head from both hands - do some tricep extensions straight up - at the top of the lift I see how far apart I can press out my hands. That's about the only isolation type exercise I do anymore, and that not so often.

Edit to add:
for a forearm grip strengthener I occasionally do rows by inserting my hand through the handle and gripping the body of the KB - sort of like a monkey scratching hand posture supporting the load. I can get the hand a little deeper and the load a little higher at the top of the movement. Downside I cannot do that with anywhere near a good row weight for me, so the back winds up not so taxed. Often I'll drop it after 6 or 8 reps and pick up a heavier KB to do a few more normal rows to finish.

And the collective hackles of StrongFirst are raised
Haha how dare @Mirek suggest such a thing :mad:

But really, I think Pavel devotes a page or two to these in his addendum to ETK. Calls 'em crush curls, because you're trying to crush the body of the bell.

I've done them before, but I prefer to grip the horns. I guess it depends if you want to focus more on the elbow flexors or the finger/wrist flexors. I actually do curls in my warmup, because I only do snatches once or twice a week, and don't do any other bent arm pulling.

I have two 30lb kettlebells I use them for hammer curls. I curl them to my forehead like a plate curl, but works the wrist in the other direction.

John Brookfield has a lot of different kettlebell curl variations to target the hands, wrists, and arms.

As I recall, Pavel included these in the original RKC book. When I do them, I do them in the bottom of a squat with my elbows inside my legs.

Like you, I do them during my Goblet Squats, and the bottom of my squat, with my elbows inside my knees. I have to grip the bell, because I am down far enough that when I grasp the horns, the bell hits the floor.

Like you, I do them during my Goblet Squats, and the bottom of my squat, with my elbows inside my knees. I have to grip the bell, because I am down far enough that when I grasp the horns, the bell hits the floor.
I have the same issue, so I just do the goblets with the KB in the bottom up position. I haven't tried gripping the bell...I bet that would work some forearm though!

If you hold the bell upside down. When arms extended the bell will be perpendicular to floor or you allow bell to fall forward, but it will not hit the floor.

Great advice. Funny thing is that I actually like holding the bell. I do hold it upright, and like in your example, it ends up perpendicular to the floor. I will give your suggestion a go, alternatives are always interesting. Thank you for sharing.

If you hold the bell upside down. When arms extended the bell will be perpendicular to floor or you allow bell to fall forward, but it will not hit the floor.

Steve Cotter has these in all of his books. They are pretty tough when you do them the way he demonstrates. Squeezing a heavier bell like that works you forearms, grip and chest as much as biceps.

I'm secure enough in my masculinity to admit that I do direct arm work for no purpose other than to have big arms.
I also enjoy a nice bubble bath and the occasional glass of Chardonnay, so...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom