all posts post new thread

Barbell Biceps curls Barbell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lvonreis

First Post
During doing biceps curls my biceps is exhausted and I cant do another repetition after 13 reps. But if I lay down the Barbel for 10 seconds, I can do 12/13 reps again. And that for like 4 to 5 sets. The next day and after the workout I don't feel my biceps at all. So what can I do to stop that from happening? Thank you for your help!

Soreness is not a measure of exercise effectiveness, just for starters. I will offer this advice though, if you have some strange need to persist in doing barbell curls, put some weight on the bar. 13 reps is cardio, not lifting.
Thanks a lot I'll try more weight and less reps.

+1. Even after heavy 5×5 sets of strict curls, I'm rarely even slightly sore the day after. Just be careful with your biceps tendon; take some time off if you feel it 'tugging' too much.
If you want to feel sore in your biceps then try VERY heavy keg and sandbag carries for long distances.

Even your tendons will feel that. Your core too.

Nothing wrong with curls but id definitely swap out normal curls for powercurls (dan john talks about them a fair bit) or heavy curls with a slow negative (they can help recduce biceps tear risk).

I'm curious as to the benefits of such an exercise. The standard power clean (performed correctly) is not an arm exercise as it utilises power generated by the lower body to drive the bar up while the arms guide it to the shoulders. Doing the same with a curl grip won't really engage the biceps and could lead to you smacking yourself in the chin.

Maybe it's just hard to see from the demo video because he's using a weight that he could probably strict curl for a set of 20 without breaking a sweat.

Just take a weight you can do for 6 reps and do 3reps-20seconds rest-3reps-20seconds rest, repeat till you cannot do 3reps. Every rep should be as quick as you can curl with clean form.

Wait 2minutes and repeat.

Sets and reps? I pull up with 50 kg for singles and cheated-pull with 61 kg and still, no biceps gainzzzz.
Everyone will build muscle with different levels of ease. You may be a hard gainer but pull ups build the biceps like squats build the quads. They also work the biceps through the biggest range of motion possible so play around with rep ranges and rep tempos etc but as far as exercise selection goes you don’t really need to wander far.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom