all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Biceps hypertrophy with S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chrisdavisjr

Level 7 Valued Member
So I've been following the S&S program for a number of weeks now. I'm still using the 'beginner' weights (16kg for get-ups, 24kg for swings) and am currently performing a mixture of 2-handed and 1-handed swings throughout each session.

In addition, I usually throw in a few cleans and presses with the 24kg bell throughout the day in a 'grease the groove' type routine, although this tends to be pretty low volume with only 2-3 reps per set.

In spite of there being no direct biceps work involved, except for three 5-rep sets of curls with the 16kg bell at the bottom of the prying goblet squat as part of my warm-up, my biceps have been growing dramatically (I've no photos, so you'll have to take my word for it).

I've trained pull-ups (weighted and unweighted) and various forms of biceps curl (dumbbell, resistance bands) in the past but never seen anything like this rate of growth. Don't get me wrong; I'm very pleased with these results but at the same time I'm absolutely baffled.

Is this the WTH effect in operation or is there something I'm missing? Has anyone else experienced similar unexpected hypertrophy?

Yes. I haven't even done those curls that much and my biceps are growing well. I've had surprised what this program does for the lats too.

I must admit that i have the same experience as you do but i feel it for my entire body. But i do enjoy barbelltraining to though.I have come to the conclusion that all training give results but do our bodys are different so maybe one guy get huge biceps from doing bicepcurl and you get them from swings and getups?

S&S def builds your biceps.
Swings kinda "pull" on your biceps as the bell moves up and you have to resist against the inertia. This is even more prominent in the one arm swing.
As for get ups the biceps have to stabilize the overhead position big time.
Generally: there is no single muscle that won't get worked during a S&S session

The closest bicep work I've done is unprogrammed chin ups, a few sets 1-3 times per week. Everything else is strict S&S, and I've experienced the same. Pretty neat!

No muscle gets left behind with S&S. Take a look at how my biceps appear to be working hard during the hinge portion of my swings today.

Attachments

• IMG_2897.PNG
    IMG_2897.PNG
    504.3 KB · Views: 161
Hello,

The most significant hypertrophy I got, was with Bent & Sinister.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've seen the same, also with combination of Justafied bent pressing & OSP crawls.

I assume that one of the driving mechanisms is that the body reacts to internal rather than external loading. Movement that calls for full body tension to balance load OH in weird positions (TGU or bent press) and movements with large "virtual" forces (swings) cause allot of internal tension and reflexive muscle recruitment beyond what happens (possible?) voluntarily.

Another reasons is these are high frequency programs - the body understand quickly that extra muscle is a good idea for daily life requirements. Homeostasis is the key here.

I'm glad someone else commented on this. I'm doing pretty much straight S & S with no additions other than mobility work (e.g. no pull ups). I'm currently doing the 1HS with the 32 and get ups with a mix of 28 and 32. I've noticed significant biceps hypertrophy and have definitely been saying WTH! It seems hard to make sense of coming from the old isolation exercise mentality. This is especially true given that I don't do the curls on the Goblet Squat. I squat with the bell in the high position because it was causing medial elbow pain.

After reading this thread, i checked out PTTP and read the chapter "Last Three Pieces of the Big Biceps Puzzle." Take a look this may be informative. Maybe hypertrophy doesn't require isolation.

Lastly, I was reluctant to choose S & S of ROP because I thought the aesthetics would be better with a pressing program, but Ive gotten significant hypertrophy from S & S all over. I really like what it is doing to my body. Maybe I'll keep pushing to solid.

I'm glad someone else commented on this. I'm doing pretty much straight S & S with no additions other than mobility work (e.g. no pull ups). I'm currently doing the 1HS with the 32 and get ups with a mix of 28 and 32. I've noticed significant biceps hypertrophy and have definitely been saying WTH! It seems hard to make sense of coming from the old isolation exercise mentality. This is especially true given that I don't do the curls on the Goblet Squat. I squat with the bell in the high position because it was causing medial elbow pain.

After reading this thread, i checked out PTTP and read the chapter "Last Three Pieces of the Big Biceps Puzzle." Take a look this may be informative. Maybe hypertrophy doesn't require isolation.

Lastly, I was reluctant to choose S & S of ROP because I thought the aesthetics would be better with a pressing program, but Ive gotten significant hypertrophy from S & S all over. I really like what it is doing to my body. Maybe I'll keep pushing to solid.
By solid you mean the 40?

Hello,

Beyond biceps, it is also important to work on triceps to create a good arm strength balance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My triceps are generally taken care of by the get-up, military presses and one arm push-ups, which I forgot to mention previously; these are usually performed in occasional 3-5 rep sets while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil or during loading screens when I relapse to my pre-fitness days for a bit of Playstation 2.

Yes, I'm 48 years olds and suspect that the Sinister goals are out of my reach.
The point is to get to a weight that is a good challenge. The higher the weight we get to, the less likely it gets that we'll need a heavier weight. I bought the 48kg bell but the 40 is keeping me in good shape and it's a good daily challenge for me. If I'm lucky I won't have to move up to the 48, but I just might in about another 6 months or so, we'll see. I doubt I'll ever get heavier than that though.

I can feel a lot of muscle all over my body that wasn't there 5 months ago. Still covered in chub but it's undeniable. My lats, glutes and forearms feel like slabs of concrete below.

Shockingly my bi's and tri's have grown too. More biceps I think and they feel very solid. This is a most unusual thing for me, I've found myself sitting there poking it in confusion and must look very strange to other people.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom