all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Biceps hypertrophy with S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've just graduated up from performing TGU's with a 16kg bell to a 20kg bell. Wow- I did 3 each side with the 20's on my first attempt and afterwards my forearms, biceps, triceps, deltoids and traps' felt like I had changed bodies with Zar Horton. I can't believe that a 4kg weight increase would result in such a significant change of stress/pump. One of my original goals was to perform TGU's with the 20kg by the end of the year....new goal....TGU's with my monster bell, (the mighty 24kg) by the end of the year.

That's awesome. I've been doing all of my TGUs with a 32kg bell for months now and I still have arms like twigs. We may need to exchange notes.

32kg TGU.......at this stage I cannot visualize that weight. I can visualize 24! I would qualify as a Mesomorph body type, which might/should explain my physiological reaction. What I am still trying to rationalize is how the heavier weight of the 20kg 'feels' better than the 16kg when performing TGU's. Perhaps very similar to how the 24kg bell swings 'better' (in my hands) than my 20kg bell. Now that my neural pathways are becoming locked-in to the TGU, I can reap the benefits of heavier bells. I should give credit where credit is due- Geoff Neupert and his 'DRY FIGHTING WEIGHT' complex. Everything became easier after this.

32kg TGU.......at this stage I cannot visualize that weight.
I felt the same way for ages: I couldn't even floor press 32kg without feeling like I was about to be crushed like a bug on a windshield, but then, after weeks of really dialing-in my form and focusing on my alignment, I figured it out and went from doing one or two per set to doing 5 per arm daily on the minute(!), which feels crazy at my size (I'm 5'9"/175cm tall and weigh between 63-64kg at around 13-14% body fat). In my case, it was definitely a mental adaptation than a physical one: My body composition has barely changed in the last five years, let alone in the last two months.

In terms of body-type, I'm probably 70% ectomorph, 30% mesomorph; not a hard-gainer, but not an easy-gainer either. I shouldn't complain: I'm a lot stronger than I look and I suppose that would be better than looking a lot stronger than I am. Still, I'm going to follow @Kozushi's lead and start putting a bit more work into my goblet squat KB curls just to see if I can't fill out my t-shirt sleeves a little better.

Did most of you who experienced hypertrophy do S&S pretty much every day? I originally was going to do it three times a week, but have been thinking about doing it every other day when I come back to it.

Did most of you who experienced hypertrophy do S&S pretty much every day? I originally was going to do it three times a week, but have been thinking about doing it every other day when I come back to it.

I found I experienced the most muscular growth while following the Program Minimum from 'Enter the Kettlebell!', which involved training swings and get-ups on separate days, two times a week each. I would do 12 minutes of swings on Mondays and Thursdays, 5-6 minutes of get-ups on Tuesdays and Fridays. I think the hypertrophy that came out of this was all short-term adaptation to performing these then unfamiliar movements. I've gotten a lot stronger since I started doing S&S near daily, but my muscles haven't really grown significantly since then. That said, I don't get a 'pump' when training these days.

If your looking at pure arm hypertrophy the triceps is where you want to focus. Pressing is best way. Bench pressing at 85%1RM loads them the best. Heavy back squats will give you some hormonal help.

S&S could give a newbie some initial hypertrophy but it's nowhere near a hypertrophy program.

This ^
I managed some hypertrophy doing multiple rep sets of TGUs, but realistically is not a good choice. Swings can generate good hypertrophy of the hammies, glutes and erectors, biceps not so much.

The standard barbell weight for curls for most men (and what are they looking to achieve besides bigger biceps?) is something between 70 and 90lbs. The 32kg kettlebell is 71lbs, so within this range. The squatting position with the elbows resting on the inner thighs isolates the biceps nicely. I doubt my body works too differently from other humans, so if I've experienced hypertrophy with the "hammer curls" (squatting goblet curls), then I'm sure everyone else would too. I also noticed that they made doing chinups easier (and then I got into chinups and back into bodyweight training, and that's a whole 'nother story!)

Regarding hypertrophy from S&S itself. I did experience it - sort of spread out all over the body, and this was more noticeable with the 40kg bell than with the 32, but with both, yes. More noticeable though was how it "sucked in" my midriff, without losing any weight whatsoever. It tightens up lots of muscles through the midsection that don't get targeted well generally speaking, and pulls them in.

32kg TGU.......at this stage I cannot visualize that weight.

One of the best part about focused training (not exercising, not doing a WOD, but dedicated focused training) is that you *will* get to that 32kg someday. It won't happen overnight, but it *will* happen. Just take it one day at a time, plan the work and work the plan... and don't quit ;)

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Chris Haueter, BJJ Black Belt. Wish I had a poster of this.

"It's not who's good, it's who's left. It's hours on the mat. If you put in that time, natural athlete or not, you'll be a black belt. You're going to be somewhere in ten years, why not be a black belt? You just can't quit."

Mike
Mike Torres (@torreskettlebell) • Instagram photos and videos

One of the best part about focused training (not exercising, not doing a WOD, but dedicated focused training) is that you *will* get to that 32kg someday. It won't happen overnight, but it *will* happen. Just take it one day at a time, plan the work and work the plan... and don't quit ;)

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Chris Haueter, BJJ Black Belt. Wish I had a poster of this.

"It's not who's good, it's who's left. It's hours on the mat. If you put in that time, natural athlete or not, you'll be a black belt. You're going to be somewhere in ten years, why not be a black belt? You just can't quit."

Mike
Mike Torres (@torreskettlebell) • Instagram photos and videos
I 100% agree. Providing the goal is something a human being can do, you'll be there if you put in the time on the mat. I can't believe how good my judo is getting, mixing together judo, S&S and now bodyweight training, plus of course 4 nights a week on the mats. BJJ is good stuff - they have some nice things to help with our ground fighting game in judo.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom