all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Biceps/shoulders/chest with 2H swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

prize

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello community and Happy New Year! For 2-handed kettlebell swings, is there any way to tweak the movement so that one can incorporate more of their biceps/shoulders/chest into the exercise? Thank you.

From Al Ciampa's article on military deployment prep:​

Swings​

One-hand swings should be performed as described in Simple & Sinister. Two-hand swings have to be overspeed. But here’s my version, an excerpt from my training manual:

“A proper swing is a tug-of-war between the opposing body lines: posterior v. anterior. The glutes, hamstrings, and quads forcefully catapult the bell forward, while the lats, abdominals, and hip flexors catch it and throw it back—compress the posterior spring, fire the spring, compress the anterior spring, fire that spring, then do it again. Both the hinge and plank position are maximally tight—maximum feed-forward tension—for the time the bell spends flying out, one is “relaxed- tight”.

Throw the bell from the coiled spring of the hinge into the tight plank—stay connected to the bell—”catch” it in the plank and throw it back down. Recoil the spring and snap back to plank. Repeat for a set of 10. Check your heart rate. Wow.

Biceps maybe but keeping your arms tighter but wouldn't reccomend it...Chest and Shoulder don't thinkg so, there are some better options out there for those muscles, swings are excellent exercise and thats why are the base of many of our programs but you need some other movements too (s&s for example has the TGUs and also some globet squats during the warm up)

Hello community and Happy New Year! For 2-handed kettlebell swings, is there any way to tweak the movement so that one can incorporate more of their biceps/shoulders/chest into the exercise? Thank you.

Happy New Year!

Read Pavel's latest book "The Quick & The Dead". He has a variety of protocols in there combining swings and pushups, including 1 for hypertrophy.

Probably not.

1 handed swings are much better for growing more muscles all through the body including in the arms. 1 handed swings and getups sure did something at least for my biceps/shoulders/chest, haha! It works! :) 2 handed swings did not. I tried that for a while back when I was newer to S&S. 2 handed swings are great for the middle of the back and for the hamstrings in particular, I think. 1 handed swings involve nearly everything in your body since you have to fight to not uncoil as the bell pulls your whole one side of the body away from you.

Unfortunately, I had to drop Push Ups from my training because I was experiencing significant elbow pain, even with low volume.

Old age is a bitch.:(
From one old man to another :) - see if you can figure out why, and see if you can work around it.

My most recent personal example is the bench press, a lift that has a reputation for ruining shoulders, which has become the centerpiece of my programming to help improve my shoulders. What it took was finding the right cues. I've got my checklist of things I do as I'm setting up, another short checklist as the bar lowers, and a third short checklist of what to do as the bar raises. So far, it's been great. The right cues and the right programming. One of the things that has always been so appealing to me about StrongFirst teaching is the safety and performance go hand in hand - the techniques I'm using are making me stronger _and_ my shoulder are getting better. Can't beat that.

-S-

Swings and Push Ups are a Beastly combination. Unfortunately, I had to drop Push Ups from my training because I was experiencing significant elbow pain, even with low volume.

Old age is a bitch.:(

I've had the same issues. What worked for me was performing elevated pushups. I use a short concrete planter wall around my front yard which is around 18 inches high. Just that one change in angle eliminated any elbow pain. Give it a try and see what happens...

Interesting; you find light presses actually helps your sore shoulders?
Yes!!!

Also, when my back is sore, when I go for a walk it normally makes my back feel a lot better.

Use it or lose it.

At first I didn't lift anything at all when my shoulders were sore, but I wasn't getting any better. By lifting my light 16kg, I strengthened up I guess whatever muscles were not ripped, and this ended up nursing the rest of my shoulders back to health.

This is why I will never give away my 16kg bells! They are waiting for me for when I'll need them due to strain or injury.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom