all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Big difference between get-up and swing weights?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I knew that someone will disagree. Well basically my statement was in general sense: hips are stronger than shoulders.
@Rif does very heavy swings.. no one does get ups with that kinda weights, but most of us have potential to go heavy with swings. Much heavier than get ups. This is my opinion. Feel free to disagree. :)
actually there are more than a few guys that are going getups with kb weights from 56- 68 kg. And even more with a barbell. it's all about what one trains for, the getup, for the shoulders, is a static hold ( mostly) and much different than a press or a classic "grind".
and it's not just a shoulder exercise per se, but a total body lift.

actually there are more than a few guys that are going getups with kb weights from 56- 68 kg. And even more with a barbell. it's all about what one trains for, the getup, for the shoulders, is a static hold ( mostly) and much different than a press or a classic "grind".
and it's not just a shoulder exercise per se, but a total body lift.
Yes I agree mostly, but shoulders are still the weakest link in get up.
Somebody could say that grip is limiting factor in swing and that is also true, but you can always use chalk or even straps. :)

Yes I agree mostly, but shoulders are still the weakest link in get up.
Somebody could say that grip is limiting factor in swing and that is also true, but you can always use chalk or even straps. :)
Straps? On a swing? Heresy :)

@Rif
Holy moly.

My TGUs have always progressed faster than my swings. I credit prior decades of Aikido practice, where suri-waza and shikko ( kneeling techniques and knee-walking) use a lot of the same pattersn as the TGU.

thanks :) I have been seriously focused on my one arm swing training for the last 6 or so years when I decided I wanted to do the Sinister swing test. Before my knee replacement I couldn't do getups at all with weight and now, after it, it's just not the best move for my lower back or shoulder. i do them unweighted daily but the swing is my focus
the 68 kg bell is a low swing, to be sure, but it really makes everything below it that much easier. I recently bought a 60 kg bell as it's more appropriate for my overload day

Hey @Rif, mind if I ask. What loaded TGU exactly does for your lower back? I'm asking, because I have back problems.

Reactions: Rif
Yesterday I did 3 Get Ups with 48 kg (+ 2 Get Ups with 44 kg) but I still struggle to do 100 1H swings with 32 kg. Definitely I am not happy about that...
You remind me of me.

I do not struggle at all with the 32kg swings, but I can`t go higher. As for TGUs I can do them even with the 48, but I prefer the 40.

I imagine it`s from all my callisthenics through the years - I have this kind of self-mobility strength, but in terms of manipulating a foreign object, not so much. TGUs are close to callisthenics moves.

Hey @Rif, mind if I ask. What loaded TGU exactly does for your lower back? I'm asking, because I have back problems.
I spent too many years as a gymnast doing twisting tricks in only one direction ( left to right) that, combined with a L4 herniation in 2000 and a left knee that only bent 90 degrees AND a right shoulder that was destroyed on still rings left me not able to do weighted getups for the last 13 years .

Now that that injuries are healed and the knee replaced ( shoulder's almost there) my back still yells at me if I roll left to right under load. It just doesn't like the tension on the discs so I don't push it at all. Way too many other excellent exercises to do to risk any more back issues

@Rif thanks for your elaborated answer. Seems that you've been through a lot. I'm happy that things are going well now.(y)

@Rif thanks for your elaborated answer. Seems that you've been through a lot. I'm happy that things are going well now.(y)
There are couple good podcasts where they interview @Rif. Good stuff. One of them he told how he rehabbed his knee or was it hip. I don't remember anymore, but anyway listen all you can find. Good stories and more than enough experiences for one man.
Kinda Forrest Gump stylish life. :D

Another guy who could have own movie is Bud Jeffries.
Very offtopic. Sorry about that. :)

There are couple good podcasts where they interview @Rif. Good stuff. One of them he told how he rehabbed his knee or was it hip. I don't remember anymore, but anyway listen all you can find. Good stories and more than enough experiences for one man.
Kinda Forrest Gump stylish life. :D

Another guy who could have own movie is Bud Jeffries.
Very offtopic. Sorry about that. :)
Thanks and it was /is my knee.
Being in the training / coaching world for 44 years will put some mileage on ya

I spent too many years as a gymnast doing twisting tricks in only one direction ( left to right) that, combined with a L4 herniation in 2000 and a left knee that only bent 90 degrees AND a right shoulder that was destroyed on still rings left me not able to do weighted getups for the last 13 years .
Are injuries of this level of severity typical among long-time gymnasts?

Pretty much yes. elite level gymnastics takes it's toll on virtually every joint in the body and very few escape some serious injury and or surgery.
I injured my knee is high school and my back in senior year college. The back injury was not until 23 years later and was from powerlifting on a very unbalanced body for 13 years

If you'll forgive a change of subject slightly, I think we could say that injuries are pretty common in elite athletes at almost any sport. I recall Gray Cook once mentioning that FMS scores typically go down for in-season athletes - high performance takes its toll.

I think the powerlifting world has a pretty good solution - compete only twice a year, prep directly for competition for 3 months prior to each meet, and in the other two, 3-month periods, recuperate, strengthen your weaknesses, restore lost movement and range of motion, and that sort of thing.

I've taken an even longer-term approach. Thanks to the 5-year age groups in Masters powerlifting, I typically compete for about the first half of each, then take time off until I reach the next age bracket. I'm about to do my last planned PL meet at age 63 years, 3 months, and then I'm going to do other things until I reach - God willing and the creek don't rise - age 65.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom