all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bigger legs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi.

Im curious as to how you go about increasing the side og your legs with kettlebells.

I have tried double front squat with kettlebells, and that did not create that much hypertrophy in the legs. What about Lunges, bulgarian half squat or jerks ?

I saw one guy using goblet squat in a built strong program. Not sure how goblet squat can make my legs grow.

I know barbell is the easy way, but I want to train at Home and I dont have space for a barbell.

All answers would be welcome.

Anders

Im curious as to how you go about increasing the side og your legs with kettlebells.
I have about 4- 6 kettlebells at home and I have a pipe. I stick the pipe through the handle, secure it by bands and rope and whatever I could think of and do 5 x 5 zercher with it.

If my goal is to increase quads and glutes size I would definately do split squat/lunge variation.

I have tried double front squat with kettlebells, and that did not create that much hypertrophy in the legs.
My first thought is that muscle growth is more about programming than specific movement. I would not expect my legs to grow more muscular with 3 sets of 5 kettlebell front squats with moderate to heavy weight a few times a week. Maybe stronger, but not that much muscle growth. If muscle growth was my objective, I might go with 3 sets of 10 with moderate to heavy weight and possibly increase volume from there. I'd also more likely go for the barbell in that case, but you said that's not a good option for you.

Hi.

I have tried double front squat with kettlebells, and that did not create that much hypertrophy in the legs. What about Lunges, bulgarian half squat or jerks ?

I saw one guy using goblet squat in a built strong program. Not sure how goblet squat can make my legs grow.

I know barbell is the easy way, but I want to train at Home and I dont have space for a barbell.

Anders
KB FS with 1 or 2 bells, split squats, lunges, swiss ball hams, nordic hams, wall sits, swings, SLDL box jumps, pistols. Run it as a circuit, low rest, get smoked.

Hi.

Anders

About a decade ago, David Whitley put out a power circuit workout DVD that created some significant leg growth in me. It was a series of exercises in two minute intervals (two minutes of work, one minute rest).

The primary leg movement was bodyweight squats for two minutes, but eventually that became really easy. I remember working up to a crazy-high number of reps in two minutes. So then i switched it to KB squats, but eventually I also got a crazy-high number of those in two minutes. Then I switched it to KB tactical lunges with the 52lbs KB. Eventually I worked up to doing about 40-50 tactical lunges with the 72lbs KB in two minutes and I remember my legs had gone through some serious growth.

That's always stuck in my head as an easy way for me to build leg mass if I ever needed to do that again. You might want to give that a try.

About a decade ago, David Whitley put out a power circuit workout DVD that created some significant leg growth in me. It was a series of exercises in two minute intervals (two minutes of work, one minute rest).

The primary leg movement was bodyweight squats for two minutes, but eventually that became really easy. I remember working up to a crazy-high number of reps in two minutes. So then i switched it to KB squats, but eventually I also got a crazy-high number of those in two minutes. Then I switched it to KB tactical lunges with the 52lbs KB. Eventually I worked up to doing about 40-50 tactical lunges with the 72lbs KB in two minutes and I remember my legs had gone through some serious growth.

That's always stuck in my head as an easy way for me to build leg mass if I ever needed to do that again. You might want to give that a try.
That will do it.

Hi.

Anders

It doesn't really matter if barbell vs kettlebell.

Or the particular exercise selection, as long as it's a grind.

It's all in the programming

You want to do increasing numbers of hard sets over the course of the training block, sets of 6-15 reps (with whatever weight makes that challenging) are probably the easiest to program.

If you only have light kettlebells, you can try BFR as it increases hypertrophy with long, easy sets like 30 reps. You’ll feel the burn doing Bulgarian split squats with no weight using BFR.

It doesn't really matter if barbell vs kettlebell.

Or the particular exercise selection, as long as it's a grind.

You want to do increasing numbers of hard sets over the course of the training block, sets of 6-15 reps (with whatever weight makes that challenging) are probably the easiest to program.
Interesting. What kind of volume would you suggest ?

How did you train with it that did not result in hypertrophy? How was your diet? How was your sleep?
I followed Neupert squat program. Diet was healthy but I did not eat like a wolf. I probably lost weight. But my arms and shoulders got bigger, but not my legs. Sleep was often under six hours, but I got a lot stronger.

Interesting. What kind of volume would you suggest ?

I followed Neupert squat program. Diet was healthy but I did not eat like a wolf. I probably lost weight. But my arms and shoulders got bigger, but not my legs. Sleep was often under six hours, but I got a lot stronger.
Just a couple thoughts...
- I think from previous posts I've read of yours, you're not a new lifter. Losing weight is not terribly conducive to hypertrophy.
- What is limiting your double kettlebell front squats? I ask this specifically because although my legs are untouched by double 32kgs, my "core" (torso) limits the reps and volume I can do with them. If you're limiting factor is NOT your legs, you may not be taxing them enough to stimulate hypertrophy. If you must use kettlebells, then you need to find a movement where the leg is the limiting factor, not something else. Alternatively, you may find that if you use a light enough load and train in a higher rep range (say 15+), your legs become the limiting factor and not something else, while if you train heavier (sets of 5-8, say), that something else becomes the limiting factor.
- I know the volume recommendation was not directed to me, but I'll provide a wide starting point: sets of 5-30, 3-12 work sets per day, 10-20 work sets per week in 2-6 sessions per week. A work set (and the reps used) is determined by weight, but you want to be from 0-3 "reps in reserve" - so you CAN take a set all the way to failure, or you can it CLOSE to failure. Start low on the volume scale (1-2 sets a session) and add 1-2 sets when you are comfortable recovering from that work (increase volume as possible/required).

Just a couple thoughts. Hope something is useful!

Bulgarian Split Squats are insanely good for this.

Pick a rep range (3 x 6-8 works well)

Start light.

Progress slowly until you're using your heaviest pair of doubles.

You can change your stance length to work the quads or hams a bit more.

You can slow down the rep tempo easily for increased TUT.

They're also amazing for symmetry, stability, injury prevention, especially in contact sports.

Hi.

Anders
Some tactics I’ve used that work well…

OA/Double bell Swings with lifting straps (it allows you to take your legs further to failure without grip being an issue). Shift more weight over the opposite leg when doing OA swings.

Goblet squats but for a 30s AMRAP (aim for 20 reps but use a weight that means you can’t). Rest no more than 30s

An evil drill I like to call 2 foot pistol squats! Do a close stance goblet or rack squat (feet no more than an inch apart) and shift 80% of your weight over one leg. All the benefits of pistols with non of the balance issues.

SL RDLs with two bells. I find this is best with a very VERY slow tempo. I do like to put my non working leg on the floor for balance but don’t put any weight through it. Use lifting straps to take your legs further to failure.

Double bell reverse lunges. Don’t step back onto the back leg but put the very tip of your toes on the floor so you’ve got 99% if your Bodyweight over your front leg. Again, because hypertrophy is the goal, use lifting straps.

Edit: also supersetting wall sits with jump squats is brutal

Last edited:
I have tried double front squat with kettlebells, and that did not create that much hypertrophy in the legs.

Leg Hypertrophy

1) Genetics

Some individual have genetic limitation for training certain body parts, like Legs.

With that said, some growth can be stimulated with training and diet.

I fall into this category.

2) More About Programming

What is most important is the Hypertrophy Training Program...

muscle growth is more about programming than specific movement.

Traditional Bodybuilding Hypertrophy Programs

"The Pump"/"The Burn" is the primary focus for a well written Hypertrophy Program.

As Arnold said, "You can grow with out the Burn".

Sets of 8 plus Repetition, with Load of 60-80% of 1 Repetition Max and Short Rest Periods Between Set (60 seconds) is of the keys.

Arterial Blood Flow

Blood is pumped from the heart to the working muscle in the exercise; Arterial Blood Flow.

Venous Blood Flow

Blood Flow from the working muscle back to the heart is restricted.

That because the Muscle Contraction limits Blood Flow Back to the heart.

Trapped Blood

1) It Pumps the muscle up, like blowing up a balloon.

2) It floods the muscle with Lactate. Lactate trigger the downstream Anabolic Effect.

Short Rest Periods Between Sets

The Short Rest Periods between Sets minimize blood flow from the muscle in the Exercise; blood remains trapped.

This compound The Muscle Pump with each following Set trapping more blood expanding slight increasing it.

No Pausing Between Repetition

Maintaining Constant Tension, not locking out at the top, ensure more blood remains trapped in the muscles.

Essentially, this method elicts that same effect as...

Acronyms

Many individual are don't what acronym mean or stand for.

My suggestition it to list the acronym, then spell it out and define what it is.

With that said,

BFR is Blood Flow Restrtion or KAATSU Training.

A tourniquet is applied that allows Blood Flow to trickle back to the Heart, Venous Blood Flow.

The tightnest of the Tourniquet need to be between a 6 - 7 on a Scale of 10.

More information can be obtained via google.

Calorie Intake

As John K basically stated, an increase in calorie intake is essential.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom