all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Biggest inspiration sportsperson

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DuncanGB

Level 6 Valued Member
No doubt done before, but just to accompany the Biggest influence movie/actor thread...

Grew up playing rugby and still love to watch both union and league. I used to try emulate and still admire the most elusive runners - for me the essence of all football codes. Many great runners of the ball have graced the game of rugby but the GOAT elusive 'baller has to be:

Someone once described him as being like "the Tasmanian Devil in a pinball machine" and, the greatest compliment, when Bo Jackson says in interview, at the height of his fame, that when he grows up he wants to be like Barry

Also, used to play squash a lot back in the day - a much better game to play than watch on TV - but still re-watch and study this on-court wizard:

The ever humble Sanders and always brash Power - still find both players utterly inspiring decades past our primes

Last edited:
No doubt done before, but just to accompany the Biggest influence movie/actor thread...

Grew up playing rugby and still love to watch both union and league. I used to try emulate and still admire the most elusive runners - for me the essence of all football codes. Many great runners of the ball have graced the game of rugby but the GOAT elusive 'baller has to be:

Someone once described him as being like "the Tasmanian Devil in a pinball machine" and, the greatest compliment, when Bo Jackson says in interview, at the height of his fame, that when he grows up he wants to be like Barry

Also, used to play squash a lot back in the day - a much better game to play than watch on TV - but still re-watch and study this on-court wizard:

The ever humble Sanders and always brash Power - still find both players utterly inspiring decades past our primes

Ty Cobb and Doc Ellis. Lol

I know nothing about squash but I really enjoyed the Barry Sanders video.

-S-

You're better-off having not known squash - she's a beguiling but fierce mistress: snapper of many an Achilles' tendon and serial-killer of even more middle-aged weekend-warriors by heart-attack

Reckon even Barry's rubber-titanium ankles would moan about the hammering that squash puts them through; mine are still growling and sometimes bark, and it's 11 years since I stopped playing...

Highly recommend these docs in this order:

The player was and the man has always been much more than the incredible sum of his unbelievable highlights...

Last edited:
Steve Yzerman was my hero growing up. My first sports memories as a kid were him leading the Wings' back to back in 97/98. Loved Ken Griffey Jr, and as I got into tennis it's impossible to deny inspiration of Federer and Nadal.

Big +1 to Cannavaro as well @q.Hung , I didn't follow soccer enough before Maldini was near the end of his career but Cannavaro was an absolute legend on that back line in '06. Honestly, the last great Italian team; there hasn't been close to the same name power in an Italian lineup since that run. Nesta, Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Buffon in the back, Pirlo and Gattuso in the middle, Totti, Del Piero and Inzaghi up front... incredible

There are a few that really influenced me.

Jackie Robinson - Take away his enormous natural gifts such as being a world-class track athlete, D-I running back, and professional baseball legend his ability to graciously break the color barrier really stuck with me as a kid.

Bob Mathias - From 17-year old high school star to Olympic decathlon champ a few months later, first guy to win two consecutive decathlons, undefeated in eleven decathlon competitions. Played in the Rose Bowl and competed in the Olympics in the same year. Not bad for a guy who was anemic as a child.

Present day, LeBron James - You don't have to look long to know what he's done as a basketball player, he's also a man who bankrolls not only a school in Akron but finances the college education of every kid who is a part of his foundation. A few years ago my family and I went to Cedar Point amusement park. Everywhere we looked we saw people of all ages wearing "LeBron James Foundation" shirts, after speaking with some people who were part of the function we realized that he paid for their admission plus their food and drink for the entire day. As we departed the park in the evening we saw that he had arrived in town to address the massive group in the parking lot about committing to their education. You may take issue with his whining on the court but he has walked the walk in helping NE Ohio in general and Akron in particular. Oh, and he was an All-Ohio football player in his only year in the sport.

I remember being forced to take speech and drama in jr. high school. Apparently being able to speak in front of a group is an important asset, which I agree with, but I hated it.
Positive note: I gave an oral report on Jim Thorpe. Amazing. Jim Thorpe, not the report.

Lot of great names above...

Off the top of my head, I would say Andre Agassi...not only for achieving greatness in a sport I love but fighting his demons at the same time. That and he married my favorite women's tennis legend Steffi Graf

I would also add Mark Eaton, former center for the Utah Jazz. I knew him personally through my brothers growing up. Not a natural athlete (except maybe as a high school water polo goalie), but through a tremendous work ethic and humility, found his role and is to this day one of the greatest shot blockers in NBA history.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom