all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Bike recommendations under $1,000

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

North

Level 6 Valued Member
Kids are old enough now that when they ride their bikes I can’t keep up by running along. I haven’t owned a bike in several years, but looking for something that I could use for commuting to work one or two days a week (10 miles round trip, and yes I have one of those jobs that’s still requires you to go to an office) in addition to some weekend rides with the kids. There are a number of hills along the way and some unpaved road. Low maintenance, reliable, and comfortable are important.

Couple of bikes I’ve been looking at:

Kona – Dew
Giant – Escape
Cannondale - Treadwell

Anything in particular to look out for? Thinking hydraulic disc brakes would be nice (loos possible at the higher end of this price range) as I still plan to have one child in a carrier or a tagalong.

Thank you in advance.

@offwidth - any thoughts here?
Well... most makes (road bikes) in the $1,000 range are going to be similar in construction and components. And they all come from Taiwan or China regardless of where the company is based. Note: This is not a bad thing.
Cannondale, Giant, Trek, and Specialized are some of the main players. I would be partial to Specialized I suppose. (And not just because my shop carries them) You are unlikely to get a carbon frame for this price, but possibly a carbon fork. And likely Shimano Claris components.
Bear in mind there has been a worldwide shortage of bikes in almost all styles and price ranges so good luck in buying new. Likewise the used market is just as hot. And with used... buyer beware.

Hydraulic disks are very nice and worth it; although not a show stopper. I have a $10K bike with rim brakes that work just fine...

@North ... please feel free to ask additional questions either on this thread or by PM...

(I have been riding for well over 40yrs and have worked at a bike shop)

Another question: what is the 10 mile terrain like? If it's all flat or does it have steep uphill??

Those are also factors in your purchase

We'll have to talk bikes sometime. I was _way_ into it, Park double repair stand in my basement, built several of my bikes up from bare frames, own a couple of custom bikes, built my own wheels - sewups at that. Fond memories ...

-S-
Ahhh... sew-ups.....
Probably not too many around here that know what those are.

Nothing quite like them. I don't ride anymore but they're still what's on my good road bike and still what I'd use if I did.

-S-
Bikes are sure a thing that because of technology have evolved a lot since I first started riding. Wheels and tires being no exception.
Nothing rides like sew-ups, that‘s for sure. But I doubt that I would ever ride on them again.

Bikes are also a thing (as you know of course) that you can spend as much as you want on and then some.
Like +$2K for a decent set of wheels..

3ECECFF5-A1D0-4DEE-8544-AF91C2D22A78.jpeg

Kids are old enough now that when they ride their bikes I can’t keep up by running along. I haven’t owned a bike in several years, but looking for something that I could use for commuting to work one or two days a week (10 miles round trip, and yes I have one of those jobs that’s still requires you to go to an office) in addition to some weekend rides with the kids. There are a number of hills along the way and some unpaved road. Low maintenance, reliable, and comfortable are important.

Couple of bikes I’ve been looking at:

Kona – Dew
Giant – Escape
Cannondale - Treadwell

Anything in particular to look out for? Thinking hydraulic disc brakes would be nice (loos possible at the higher end of this price range) as I still plan to have one child in a carrier or a tagalong.

Thank you in advance.
Thanks for posting this. I’m sort of in the same boat. My wife and I share a car and she works weekends so I take it to work during the week but lately have been thinking since there is literally a trail that is 2 blocks from our house and drops me off 100 feet from my job that I should get a bike to commute to work so she can have the car during the day.
Figured the 20 minute rides there and back would be really good for me.

Thanks for posting this. I’m sort of in the same boat. My wife and I share a car and she works weekends so I take it to work during the week but lately have been thinking since there is literally a trail that is 2 blocks from our house and drops me off 100 feet from my job that I should get a bike to commute to work so she can have the car during the day.
Bike commuting is just so good on so many levels...

That sounds too perfect. I've tried the bike commute thing before but the route was crummy so I didn't enjoy it.

In your place, I might join a local cycling club and ask for recommendations of a local bike shop.

For bikes, personally I’m a fan of buying used to get a sense of what you like without breaking the bank.

-S-
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. These were the models available in the two nearby bike shops that fit my needs. All seemed pretty equivalent. I have an appointment (can’t just pop in anymore) coming up in about a week — we will see what is still available.

Used bikes in my parts either come too expensive/equipped (see those 2k wheels above) or nearly junked. I would probably need @Steve Freides or @offwidth to help make them rideable!

Another question: what is the 10 mile terrain like? If it's all flat or does it have steep uphill??

Those are also factors in your purchase
It’s mostly uphill on the way in to work and downhill on the way back home with some ups and downs in between.

I did a grand experiment. I kept trying different, inexpensive, used frames, would transfer my chosen parts over to the them, would spend several months each with different crank lengths, used an adjustable stem to see what I want there, etc.

For me, I found bike that fit me in the seat tube were too short in the top tube, and bikes I liked the top tube length on where too tall to stand over, so I ended up getting a custom-built frame. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, and when I finally got my dream bike, it was truly a dream and I have always loved riding it. Fillet-brazed steel.

-S-

I did a grand experiment. I kept trying different, inexpensive, used frames, would transfer my chosen parts over to the them, would spend several months each with different crank lengths, used an adjustable stem to see what I want there, etc.

For me, I found bike that fit me in the seat tube were too short in the top tube, and bikes I liked the top tube length on where too tall to stand over, so I ended up getting a custom-built frame. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, and when I finally got my dream bike, it was truly a dream and I have always loved riding it. Fillet-brazed steel.

-S-
I too have a custom bike. Reynolds 531 DB tubing, Italia cut-out lugs, Cinelli investment cast BB, full campagnolo gruppo. (Vintage 1978) An honest to god 20lbs; which was cutting edge at the time.
I only ride it on special occasions these days, but it still rides like a dream...

I too have a custom bike. Reynolds 531 DB tubing, Italia cut-out lugs, Cinelli investment cast BB, full campagnolo gruppo. (Vintage 1978) An honest to god 20lbs; which was cutting edge at the time.
I only ride it on special occasions these days, but it still rides like a dream...
Sounds great. I thought about lugged, but my bike, from the mid 1990's, if memory serves, is a weight-weenie machine. Cranks are Sweet Wings, design eventually became mainstream. Campy brifters, a funky 9-on-8 titanium cog set, sewups, Speedplay Frog pedals, and it weighs 16 lbs ready to ride.

I have an older bike that was a spare for a Raleigh team rider, vintage about yours, 6-speed rear and downtube shifters. That's my vintage ride.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom