all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Bike recommendations under $1,000

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm fairly new to the bike game (I have a 14 and a 20 foldie) but getting an inexpensive bike for a 10 mile commute then upgrade parts or get another one is definitely the smart step..

A lot of other good brands like tern, asian brands like trinx, dahon are also solid choices.

Sounds great. I thought about lugged, but my bike, from the mid 1990's, if memory serves, is a weight-weenie machine. Cranks are Sweet Wings, design eventually became mainstream. Campy brifters, a funky 9-on-8 titanium cog set, sewups, Speedplay Frog pedals, and it weighs 16 lbs ready to ride.

I have an older bike that was a spare for a Raleigh team rider, vintage about yours, 6-speed rear and downtube shifters. That's my vintage ride.

-S-
That’s light for a steel bike! Cool!
But... if you want to get into the weight game... :)
My main ride now is a Colnago C60 / full Campagnolo Record / Speedplay Ti pedals / 14.75lbs

We used to have a saying... ‘super light or stupid light’

I suppose there is a reason the UCI limit is around 13lbs; but if you have the money you can get a fully functional bike at close to 11lbs. The cost to weight curve becomes highly exponential...

Even my pedals have a warning about maximum allowable rider weight. (Which I think is around 160lbs...)

If you like to keep it simple get a singlespeed mountain bike with a good gear ratio for your area and forget about the rest... I've got a Trek single speed for mountain biking and a Bianchi pista (fixed) for city rides....

I know I'm a weirdo but the singlespeed simplifies lifes a lot xD

If you like to keep it simple get a singlespeed mountain bike with a good gear ratio for your area and forget about the rest... I've got a Trek single speed for mountain biking and a Bianchi pista (fixed) for city rides....

I know I'm a weirdo but the singlespeed simplifies lifes a lot xD
If it's not offroad, skip the singlespeed and go for a fixed gear. I have two, have done a solo century on a fixtie.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom