all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Birthday suggestions

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Georgiaoutdoors

Level 5 Valued Member
It’s my birthday which also coincides with the end of the year. So it’s very common for me to be thinking about new beginnings and growth/progress this time of year. Questions for the community:

What are some of the most important/transformational books you have read?

What have been some of the most personally transformative practices/habits you have added to your life?

What are some of the most important/transformational books you have read?
Power To The People! by Pavel.

What have been some of the most personally transformative practices/habits you have added to your life?
Power To The People! by Pavel.

It gave me a new approach to lifting, that being stronger means more than just lifting more weight, and that being stronger, in addition to being more than just weight lifting, can also be weight lifting without adding lots of muscle. Although I've never been a soldier, it feels like a soldier's perspective - we all have important jobs to do, missions to accomplish, if you will, and greater strength lets us do our jobs better.

-S-

I'll probably sound my age (55) but Steven Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" has been one of the most important/transformational books that I've read. My favorite personally transformative practices/habit added to my life from that book is "Begin with the End in Mind." I do it every year, every month, and sometimes every day or for tasks within the day.

I'll probably sound my age (55) but Steven Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" has been one of the most important/transformational books that I've read. My favorite personally transformative practices/habit added to my life from that book is "Begin with the End in Mind." I do it every year, every month, and sometimes every day or for tasks within the day.
I read it about 15 years ago. It’s actually on my shortlist of books to focus on this coming year.

Transformation is an individual thing. For some types, it is purely or mainly physical and there is nothing wrong with that. For others, the mental side is emphasised, again nothing wrong with that either. Still others prefer to include both elements. Strongfirst provides much of the physical element and the notion of "strength has a higher purpose" hints at the other.
For the mental element, I prefer a type of meditation (Dr Meares' method) that involves deep relaxation of body and mind so that the mind slows and stills. Afterwards one is calmed and sometimes this is profound. Being calmer means one can do a bit more than before. Doing "a bit more" means fewer losses and more wins.... as well as a better understanding of things. Words like meaning and purpose come to mind.

EDIT I re-read the original question and realise I should add a book. Dr Meares, passed away in the mid1980s, and wrote 30+ books. Several were best sellers and translated into many languages. The result is that many are now hard to get or very costly. I usually suggest Ainslie Meares on Meditation, which contains his first best selling book and is both cheap and accessible.

Last edited:
The most transformative habit has been getting up 1-2 hours earlier to work on projects before my day starts. I start each day by investing in myself first.

I've just started mixing in Pomodoro-style workout breaks (stop and do a couple sets, then go back to work). So far they've been an effective addition.

I love reading, it's hard for me to pick. I tend to read a lot of the somewhat ill defined but we all know it when we see it 'self-help/personal development/business' category.

Arguably two that came to mind right away when I saw you mention 'transformational'

Jocko Willink and Leif Babin - Extreme Ownership
James Clear - Atomic Habits (BJ Fogg - Tiny Habits as a close second)

Of course, all the other things I've read go hand in hand with these two, creating a sum much bigger than 1+1 in my eyes. That being said, these two really helped me become stronger mentally, helped me automate good habits, and create for myself a lifestyle that I believe supports my health and goals.

Happy birthday!

If you haven't already listened to it, Huberman Lab podcast this week was with Jocko. Wow. It was great.
Thanks, I will have to listen. I used to listen to Jocko regularly - especially his book reviews, and his 'Q+A' but lately he seems almost all interviews. Definitely fallen off the map, but for a good chunk of time his podcast was an auto-listen when it came out.
Huberman I find really good some times, and at times a little too much like Ben Greenfield if you know what I mean. Almost how Attia was a few years back, but he's become much more grounded IMO, if that makes sense.

Huberman I find really good some times, and at times a little too much like Ben Greenfield if you know what I mean. Almost how Attia was a few years back, but he's become much more grounded IMO, if that makes sense.
Agree. Huberman is little too enthusiastic on "if i can explain how x affects y, I can recommend x to fix y." But humans don't always work that way. Anyway, I think he's learning as he goes... A good guy. I also agree on Peter Attia being more grounded these days.

The most transformative habit has been getting up 1-2 hours earlier to work on projects before my day starts. I start each day by investing in myself first.

I've just started mixing in Pomodoro-style workout breaks (stop and do a couple sets, then go back to work). So far they've been an effective addition.
I do the same thing. I get up around 0330 and give myself an hour to get in some meditating and light reading with a little coffee. No ones around and I have a little bit of time to myself.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom