all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bjj S&S stretching

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
Been training with kb for a few months now, 2/3 times a week, flexible steel on off days.
Had my first bjj class this week which i really enyoyed.
I find i need to have a routine, if i leave things to just going with the flow they dont go anywhere!
I was doing S&S MWF but my bjj classes are a wed and fri the classes dont include any stretching and i dont get back till late from the class so cant do it after.
Im finding it tricky to schedule my week leaving enough rest, ie not doing S&S on bjj days and not doing S&S 2 days in a row.
I plan on doing bjj 2x a week S&S 2x a week plus flexible steel preferably the morning after bjj
I should probably add my only available time is before work in morning

M
T
W Bjj
T Flexable steal
F bjj
S Flexible steal
S

Any sugestions where to fit S&S

Last edited:
@Gary Wilson - Welcome to the BJJ world, I've been training for about ten years and love it, even when getting killed. Lol. Your plan looks solid and as you start to adapt you will eventually be able to do you S&S a few more times a week. When I added S&S a few years back I noticed an immediate conditioning benefit in relation to my rolling. The swings provided a tremendous cardio benefit that I think only snatches could possibly rivil when it comes to grappling S&C. Best of luck with your training.

Yeah even though I couldn't really do anything I really enjoyed it and can't wait to go back on Friday
Do you think it would be ok to do simple sinister workout the morning after a jujitsu session?
Even after just one BJJ session I can see how the swings and get ups really benefit with the hip strength they give so I definitely want to keep then workouts

@Gary Wilson
S&S is supposed to be the kind of training that leaves you plenty in the tank for other activities. Be that work, other training, sports, or just life in general.
My personal experience agrees with that as well.

You should be able to slot it in almost anywhere.

Ok thanks I think I'm just over worried about injuries especially as I'm on the verge of moving from a 16 kg to a 24 kg while also just starting the jiu-jitsu

actually i feel that doing S&S after BJJ class works quite nicely (at least for me). I have been doing TGU OR Swings after class (maybe after about 5-10mins of rest), and I don't go crazy with the S&S part, just go within yourself.

There are all sorts of kettlebells at the bjj gym, which helps as well.

The classes I do other last class and then they close so I go home have dinner bath and bed then thinking getting up and doing the strength workout

Because I drive a lot for work I really want to keep stretching which has helped me a lot with a few aches and pains

Pavel M would recommend you do s&s daily if possible.

I’ve been grappling 10 years plus and there is nothing better than s&s.

Key point, don’t push it, rest a lot between sets, keep it aerobic to the greatest extent possible. Build up naturally. Easy strength, easy endurance.

Yeah im gonna do this, i done double handed swing today and will gradually throw a few single hand swings in.
Also done some half getups to get used to the weight.

Flexibility is my biggest issue, flexible steel has been really good the last couple months but im still fairly tight

Flexibility is my biggest issue, flexible steel has been really good the last couple months but im still fairly tight

Use the breath... it's the secret to "relaxing into stretch". Details are in Pavel's book (Relax into Stretch / RIS). Biggest tip is use the sighing exhale and relax more deeply into the position as you do. That, and "wait out the tension." Some positions take more than a minute before your muscles start to release the tension they hold. Prime examples are splits and QL Straddle. If you're impatient you'll never get there. Spend some extended time and patience and you'll be surprised what can happen. Combine time and breath. And above all, don't push. The minute you feel "pulling" and "stretching" your muscles will tense up and NOT relax and you'll get nowhere.

I spend almost no time these days on mobility/stretching/yoga or any of that, but because I gained the skill for it and attained positions like bridge and splits, I find that I can return to them anytime using breath and patience.

Ive actually been skipping the post workout stretches as i found them really awkward to get into

Thats the ql and 90 90 stretches

That, and "wait out the tension." Some positions take more than a minute before your muscles start to release the tension they hold.
I just started playing around with some Rubber Guard techniques, which require a little more flexibility than I have needed in the past. Holding the appropriate stretches for about 5 minutes at a time, once a day, seemed to get me where I needed to be within a couple weeks. Before that my only hip mobility work was the goblet squats that I do during my warm up.

I always just arrived a bit early for BJJ and did my stretches before and/or after class. I think if you knock them both off in one session, you can spare a bit more time to keep up with S&S. You might want to fit in into your bedtime routine as well. Mobility work always helps me sleep.

Ive actually been skipping the post workout stretches as i found them really awkward to get into

Just get into them to whatever degree you can while targeting the stretch, and relax and breathe. For example, for QL straddle, get your legs out straight and open on the floor, and you may need to sit up straight or even lean back a little with some sort of support. Don't try to bend over towards one leg -- elongate the spine upwards, slightly turn to your left, raise your left arm, and lean to your right... relax and breathe. On the inhale stretch the spine up tall. On the exhale lean just a little more. Wait it out. At LEAST 60 seconds, preferably 2 minutes. Then other side.

I think for the S&S practice it's more about letting the body dissipate that tension that can build up in certain muscles with swings and get-ups, and switch on the parasympathetic NS for recovery. Not so much about a certain flexibility goal.

S&S has stretches and warmups you're supposed to do before the swings and getups. It also recommends doing goblet curls while in a squatting position. I do most or all of these warmups or stretches before and during each and every S&S session.

S&S can be done every day. Having a scientifically researched and tested routine to follow is much better than just doing things ad hoc - I do ad hoc training when I'm too tired to do S&S, or after S&S.

BJJ is a lot of fun and is where it's at for the most advanced ground grappling skills. It is a big help for judo I find. It's also pretty much 100% safe as there is no real impact. Watch overusing elbows and shoulders, however.

Problem is doing anything after bjj is out of the question as i dont get home untill late then still have to have dinner and bath then straight to bed ready for work in morning.

Its the last class so they kick us out then lock up.

I could do some stretching in the evenings that im not doing bjj and keep the morning free for s&s
Sometimes hard with the kids but think that is what im gonna have to try.

Anna
I get into the 90/90 stretch and can straighten my spine but im leaning slightly to the side and if i try to be vertical or even just being in the stretch i feel pain in my lower back, leaning forward isnt my problem i can do that part ok

S&S has stretches and warmups you're supposed to do before the swings and getups.

Warm-ups are before: Goblet squat, halo, hip bridge. Stretches are after: 90/90 and QL straddle.

I do both of the S&S stretches in this One Complete S&S video, starting at the 23:10 mark.

I could do some stretching in the evenings that im not doing bjj and keep the morning free for s&s

That sounds good. With your time constraints you want to make good use of your time. If it's warm-up or mobilizing or movement practice (S&S warm-up, flexible steel, etc), keep it relatively brief and get it done. If it's stretching, relaxing, and cool-down, give yourself more time and don't hurry it; relax and breathe. You can do something else while you do - conversation, TV, read, look at your phone. Not ideal, but entirely possible. You still need to do it mindfully and use the breath, but take the opportunities where you can. Prop a foot up and stretch a hamstring while going through your mail, stretch your feet while brushing your teeth, etc.

I get into the 90/90 stretch and can straighten my spine but im leaning slightly to the side and if i try to be vertical or even just being in the stretch i feel pain in my lower back, leaning forward isnt my problem i can do that part ok

Sounds like tight hips. Try sitting on a pillow while you do it to elevate the hips slightly. And the front leg is the important one. If the back leg is more comfortable straight out, like yoga "pigeon" pose, this still gets the stretch in the front outside hip.

Ok so I just tried this 90 90 stretch again, it's better with the back leg slightly straight rather than bent too much.

I lean forward untill chest nearly touches knee, feels like only my stomach is stoping me going lower??
When i sit up straight, with the help of my suporting arm i REALLY feel it in my hips more on my left than right.

So yeah basicly think my hips are still quite tight altho ive been doing the frog rocking back and forth slightly and my squat has got alot deeper i thought my hips were getting looser, obviously not!

I will add this after s&s or in evening from now on.

The ql stretch on the other hand i can barely spread my legs that wide at all really let alone sit up straight and bend sideways!

Thanks for all the help so far guys, im so glad i decided to quit lifting weights at the gym, buy a kettlebell and sign up to this forum!
Im finally on the right path to a stronger more flexible and healther me after yrs of going nowhere in the gym.
Thank you

altho ive been doing the frog rocking back and forth slightly and my squat has got alot deeper i thought my hips were getting looser, obviously not!

Frog is good for opening the hips, much like the prying goblet squat. But there are a lot of little hip rotator muscles that can get tight. This shin box switch can be great for hip rotators! Working this will help get into the 90/90 position too.

I lean forward untill chest nearly touches knee, feels like only my stomach is stoping me going lower??

Sounds good! If you run out of "down", stretch up and forward. Target is the outside of the bottom hip. You can also move your chest/torso right or left of the front knee for a slightly different emphasis.

The ql stretch on the other hand i can barely spread my legs that wide at all really let alone sit up straight and bend sideways!

Try sitting on a box or chair to do it. Legs apart about 90 degrees between them, then sit up tall, then same thing: slightly turn to your left, raise your left arm, and lean to your right... relax and breathe. I'm trying it now in a chair and it seems to do just as good a job targeting the QL as the sitting on the floor version does. It works best if you rotate your torso towards the up arm, or actually look at the up hand. That's the reason for reaching forward with the down hand (the one in the direction that you're leaning), to encourage that slight torso rotation and get the stretch in the QL muscle in the back of your torso.

Brilliant, just tried this sitting on edge of my chair, i can feel a stretch sort of in the middle of my lower back?
I have to use the arm thats not raised on my thigh to kind of support me tho and get a slight cramp in my right hip but will keep up with this at least a couple times a week now and see how i get on!
Thank you!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom