all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Blindfold training article

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
This new article on blindfold training is really worth a read. Thanks Malou Fehlbaum

Blindfold Training for Mental Focus | StrongFirst

Blindfold practice is a technique in traditional martial arts especially trapping drills and kata (forms). Is it used in BJJ?

How would you integrate it into your training?

1. Balance drills. Simply standing on one leg becomes surprisingly challenging.
2. Try this with an unloaded getup or the balance a shoe or cup on your hand drill.

What would you not use it for?

1. Kettlebell training with other people in the environment that you are not training with.

Simply standing on one leg becomes surprisingly challenging.
When I was evaluated by a PT he used this tool also. Was helpful to experience that.

With swings, I have 3 other indicators I'm working on, but you got me thinking if I could isolate them better blindfolded.
Like I hinge too early, and haven't found a good way for me to change.

When I was evaluated by a PT he used this tool also. Was helpful to experience that.

With swings, I have 3 other indicators I'm working on, but you got me thinking if I could isolate them better blindfolded.
Like I hinge too early, and haven't found a good way for me to change.

Have you come across the Pavel M. four count swing?

blindfold training is really worth a read. \

How would you integrate it into your training?
Just Close Ypu Eyes

Closing your eyes works, as well. Malou mentioned performing movement that way in the article.

I automatically close my eyes when I life without thinking about it. I always have.

Initially, I began with visualation techniques with...

Dr Judd Biasiotto. Psychologist

Biasiotto was one of the great 132 lb Powerlifter of his era.

Biasiotto wrote a series of book on Visualization Training as a means of increasing and individuals lift.

I personally purchased a few book from him and he was nice enough go over information on it on the phone.

Dr Craig Marker did a nice interview with him a while back.

However, Visualization (seeing the lifts) in my head wasn't easy for me.

As I found out, individual learn in different ways.

This is a good article that breaks it down.

Cueing Athletes and Clients: Work With Them, Not Against Them

Identifying Learning Styles

The first step in this process is to identify a person’s learning style. ...

Ask the person how they learn best.

Visual Learners

Visual learners learn best through sight
and spatial relationships. They benefit from viewing recordings of themselves and comparing and contrasting good and bad repetitions.

Auditory Learners

Give them instructions and watch them excel. ... Auditory learners are like sponges. They soak up pretty much everything that is said, which is cool.

They remember the entire conversation, which means that their brain ends up clouded when it comes time to perform. This is where your value as a coach comes in. After the conversation is over, make sure you help them boil it down to one or two bullet points.

Whatever these actionable items are, you need to turn them into internal or external cues, whichever works best for the client.

Read/Write Learners

For your read/write learners, make sure they accurately record any cues, internal or external, that were utilized during a training session. ...Here is the trick that takes it to the next level: they have to read it.

Kinesthetic Learners

Lastly are the kinesthetic learners who learn by doing through touch and feel. These learners are focused on how a movement feels and can utilize internal and external cues because they are in touch with their bodies. Kinesthetic learners respond well to tactical feedback or being put into positions.'
Blindfold Training/Closing Your Eyes

This is Kinesthetic Learning.

This is primarily how I learn a movement by closing my eyes.

Let's take my Deadlift. I know by the feel of it, when I am performing it correctly or incorrectly.

When I am performing it correctly, it feel like the bar is on rails and I am guding it up.

Some of the other methods can assist in my learning, as well. However, Kinesthetically is the most effective for me.

With said, most individuals learning predominately falls into one category.

Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP)
One of the fundamentals of this is to speak to someone in a way/language they can relate to and understand; connecting with the right verbage.

A simple cue that works when talking to them is where they are looking when you are speaking.

1) Looking Up

Individuals who do this are primarily visual.

A question to them would be, "How does that look to you"?

2) Netural Head Position
These individual are primarily auditory.

A question to them would be, "How does that sound to you"?

3) Looking Down

Individual who look down tend to be kinesthetic.

A question to them would be, "How does that feel to you"?

Performing A Movement Incorrectly

As the Cueoing article stated, "Kinesthetic learners focus on feel, which means if they have been doing something wrong for years, that feels right to them."

Getting individual to correct their techinque is a challange.

When learning the right technique, their lifts are going to initally decrease. It is part of the learning process.

I make an effort to reinforce that learning the right technique amount to taking one step backward to take two steps forward.

In working with them, I get the same complaint about performing the movement correctly.

They state that the new technique doesn't feel right.

My reply is, "Keep doing it until it does feel right".

Summary

Blindfold Training/Closing Your Eyes may work for improving a movement.

As the Cueing Athelte article states, determine what Learning Category is the most effective for you.

Although not blindfolded or with eyes closed, I use a variation of that when teaching advanced beginners to rock climb in a gym setting. What I have them do is not to look up at all. All they can do is look at their feet and the footholds they are going to use. They need to feel around for handholds. This drill really reinforces the need to focus on footwork; which arguably is one of the more important aspects of this type of climbing. Obviously, one needs to be selective of the routes and problems that can be used for this, as not all will be suitable for the exercise.

Just Close Ypu Eyes

Closing your eyes works, as well. Malou mentioned performing movement that way in the article.

I automatically close my eyes when I life without thinking about it. I always have.

Initially, I began with visualation techniques with...

Dr Judd Biasiotto. Psychologist

Biasiotto was one of the great 132 lb Powerlifter of his era.

Biasiotto wrote a series of book on Visualization Training as a means of increasing and individuals lift.

I personally purchased a few book from him and he was nice enough go over information on it on the phone.

Dr Craig Marker did a nice interview with him a while back.

However, Visualization (seeing the lifts) in my head wasn't easy for me.

As I found out, individual learn in different ways.

This is a good article that breaks it down.

Identifying Learning Styles

The first step in this process is to identify a person’s learning style. ...

Ask the person how they learn best.

Visual Learners

Visual learners learn best through sight
and spatial relationships. They benefit from viewing recordings of themselves and comparing and contrasting good and bad repetitions.

Auditory Learners

Give them instructions and watch them excel. ... Auditory learners are like sponges. They soak up pretty much everything that is said, which is cool.

They remember the entire conversation, which means that their brain ends up clouded when it comes time to perform. This is where your value as a coach comes in. After the conversation is over, make sure you help them boil it down to one or two bullet points.

Whatever these actionable items are
, you need to turn them into internal or external cues, whichever works best for the client.

Read/Write Learners

For your read/write learners, make sure they accurately record any cues, internal or external, that were utilized during a training session. ...Here is the trick that takes it to the next level: they have to read it.

Kinesthetic Learners

Lastly are the kinesthetic learners who learn by doing through touch and feel. These learners are focused on how a movement feels and can utilize internal and external cues because they are in touch with their bodies. Kinesthetic learners respond well to tactical feedback or being put into positions.'
Blindfold Training/Closing Your Eyes

This is Kinesthetic Learning.

This is primarily how I learn a movement by closing my eyes.

Let's take my Deadlift. I know by the feel of it, when I am performing it correctly or incorrectly.

When I am performing it correctly, it feel like the bar is on rails and I am guding it up.

Some of the other methods can assist in my learning, as well. However, Kinesthetically is the most effective for me.

With said, most individuals learning predominately falls into one category.

Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP)
One of the fundamentals of this is to speak to someone in a way/language they can relate to and understand; connecting with the right verbage.

A simple cue that works when talking to them is where they are looking when you are speaking.

1) Looking Up

Individuals who do this are primarily visual.

A question to them would be, "How does that look to you"?

2) Netural Head Position
These individual are primarily auditory.

A question to them would be, "How does that sound to you"?

3) Looking Down

Individual who look down tend to be kinesthetic.

A question to them would be, "How does that feel to you"?

Performing A Movement Incorrectly

As the Cueoing article stated, "Kinesthetic learners focus on feel, which means if they have been doing something wrong for years, that feels right to them."

Getting individual to correct their techinque is a challange.

When learning the right technique, their lifts are going to initally decrease. It is part of the learning process.

I make an effort to reinforce that learning the right technique amount to taking one step backward to take two steps forward.

In working with them, I get the same complaint about performing the movement correctly.

They state that the new technique doesn't feel right.

My reply is, "Keep doing it until it does feel right".

Summary

Blindfold Training/Closing Your Eyes may work for improving a movement.

As the Cueing Athelte article states, determine what Learning Category is the most effective for you.

What is your main source of information for learning styles? It has fallen out of favor or been weakened in fields like education. Simply saying that people have preferences still seems worth exploring.

Although not blindfolded or with eyes closed, I use a variation of that when teaching advanced beginners to rock climb in a gym setting. What I have them do is not to look up at all. All they can do is look at their feet and the footholds they are going to use. They need to feel around for handholds. This drill really reinforces the need to focus on footwork; which arguably is one of the more important aspects of this type of climbing. Obviously, one needs to be selective of the routes and problems that can be used for this, as not all will be suitable for the exercise.

I am thinking that setting up for a deadlift with closed eyes might be a similar drill to make sure the "first rep" is locked in.

I have not tried it, but I do not know… Doing snatches or 1H swings eyes closed makes me little worried about my knees.

I tried eyes closed strength-mobility exercises such as one-leg deadlift, split-squat, and shrimp squat. The balance aspect is challenged much more as well as the improved proprioception.

What is your main source of information for learning styles?
Cueing The Athlete

This article by Kelton Mehls, PhD, CSCS that I hi--lited was the primary source.

So, I find you question puzzling. Did you read it?

Secondly, the Reference are provided to substataiate the information in the article.

Invest the time in looking them up for more detail.

Article References
  1. Braakhuis, A., Williams, T., Fusco, E., Hueglin, S., & Popple, A. (2015). A comparison between learning style preferences, gender, sport and achievement in elite team sport athletes. Sports, 3(4), 325-334.
  2. Dunn, J. L. (2009). Using learning preferences to improve coaching and athletic performance. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance, 80(3), 30-37.
  3. Kershner, A. L., Fry, A. C., & Cabarkapa, D. (2019). Effect of internal vs. external focus of attention instructions on countermovement jump variables in NCAA Division I student-athletes. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 33(6), 1467-1473.
  4. Makaruk, H., Porter, J. M., & Makaruk, B. (2013). Acute effects of attentional focus on shot put performance in elite athletes. Kinesiology, 45(1.), 55-62.
  5. Oliver, J., Barillas, S., Rhodri, L., Moore, I., & Pedley, J. (2019). External cueing influences drop jump performance in trained young soccer players.
  6. Widenhoefer, T. L., Miller, T. M., Weigand, M. S., Watkins, E. A., & Almonroeder, T. G. (2019). Training rugby athletes with an external attentional focus promotes more automatic adaptions in landing forces. Sports biomechanics, 18(2), 163-173.
  7. Wulf, G., McNevin, N., & Shea, C. H. (2001). The automaticity of complex motor skill learning as a function of attentional focus. The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology Section A, 54(4), 1143-1154.
  8. Zarghami, M., Saemi, E., & Fathi, I. (2012). External focus of attention enhances discus throwing performance. Kinesiology, 44(1.), 47-51.
Sports Psyching: Playing Your Best Game All The Time
Amazon product ASIN 0874771366
51WsLDuLi1L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is an excellent book.

Barbell Approaching a P.R. Lift

I posted information on Sports Psyching: Playing Your Best Game All of the Time in this in 2019 on it.

Hypnotize Me and Make Me Great

This was my first book from Dr Judd Biasiotto on Visualization Training . I tracked down his phone number called him years ago.

Biasiotto agreed to let me call him if I had question on the book. I purchased additioal book from Biasiotto on this, as well.

The book was on Self Hypnosis Visualation Training. In multiple phone calls with Biasiotto, we discussed the Visualization aspect and touched on the Kinesthetic area.

The book is not published anymore.

However, this one is...

41kNVXEcqjL.jpg

StrongFirst is proud to present the definitive text on achieving excellence in any sport through the power of your mind.

Amazon product ASIN B00AEGSUQQ
Dr Johnny Clay Johnson, PhD Psychology

Initially, I worked with Johnson at Texas A&M (working on his PhD) once a week, whos focus was on Self Hypnosis Visual Training in Sports.

My homework was to practice it before and after work; which I did.

Marlene Gogal, Hypnotherapist

Later I worked with Marlene on Visualization. In talking to her about it, I stated that it was hard me to see myself performing any of the Powerlifts.

She ask what went through my mind before and during the lifts. My reply was that I knew what it felt like when my technique was right.

The bar movement felt like it was gliding up on rails with heavy loads.

When my techiniques was off, it felt like it was not on the rails; more difficult and at times impossible to get it up and lock it out.

Gobal went in to how individual's learn...

1) Visual

2) Auditory

3) Kinesthetic

As in Kelton Mehls, PhD, CSCS Cueing The Athlete, Gobal Identified My Learning Style, which is for me is Kinesthetic

From then on, my Self Hypnosis sessions focued on the Kinesthetics of a movement.

It has fallen out of favor or been weakened in fields like education.
Research

Thing like this irratate me; vague statements that with no references to subtantiate it.

Secondly, what "Education" are we specifically talking specifically about?

Doe it specifically addressing the various Cueing The Athelte of the article posted?

people have preferences still seems worth exploring.
Take Home Message

Individual definitely learn in different ways, based on the research.

The Take Home Message is to identify the style that is the most effective for you or the individual that you are working with.

To play Devil's advocate, do you see the bell travelling down between your knees when you have your eyes open?

I do not look at my knees, but I kind of see the trajectory when the bell is moving down. And from where it starts to move down (compared to center line).

Cueing The Athlete

This article by Kelton Mehls, PhD, CSCS that I hi--lited was the primary source.

So, I find you question puzzling. Did you read it?

Secondly, the Reference are provided to substataiate the information in the article.

Invest the time in looking them up for more detail.

Article References
  1. Braakhuis, A., Williams, T., Fusco, E., Hueglin, S., & Popple, A. (2015). A comparison between learning style preferences, gender, sport and achievement in elite team sport athletes. Sports, 3(4), 325-334.
  2. Dunn, J. L. (2009). Using learning preferences to improve coaching and athletic performance. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance, 80(3), 30-37.
  3. Kershner, A. L., Fry, A. C., & Cabarkapa, D. (2019). Effect of internal vs. external focus of attention instructions on countermovement jump variables in NCAA Division I student-athletes. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 33(6), 1467-1473.
  4. Makaruk, H., Porter, J. M., & Makaruk, B. (2013). Acute effects of attentional focus on shot put performance in elite athletes. Kinesiology, 45(1.), 55-62.
  5. Oliver, J., Barillas, S., Rhodri, L., Moore, I., & Pedley, J. (2019). External cueing influences drop jump performance in trained young soccer players.
  6. Widenhoefer, T. L., Miller, T. M., Weigand, M. S., Watkins, E. A., & Almonroeder, T. G. (2019). Training rugby athletes with an external attentional focus promotes more automatic adaptions in landing forces. Sports biomechanics, 18(2), 163-173.
  7. Wulf, G., McNevin, N., & Shea, C. H. (2001). The automaticity of complex motor skill learning as a function of attentional focus. The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology Section A, 54(4), 1143-1154.
  8. Zarghami, M., Saemi, E., & Fathi, I. (2012). External focus of attention enhances discus throwing performance. Kinesiology, 44(1.), 47-51.
Sports Psyching: Playing Your Best Game All The Time
Amazon product ASIN 0874771366
51WsLDuLi1L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is an excellent book.

Barbell Approaching a P.R. Lift

I posted information on Sports Psyching: Playing Your Best Game All of the Time in this in 2019 on it.

Hypnotize Me and Make Me Great

This was my first book from Dr Judd Biasiotto on Visualization Training . I tracked down his phone number called him years ago.

Biasiotto agreed to let me call him if I had question on the book. I purchased additioal book from Biasiotto on this, as well.

The book was on Self Hypnosis Visualation Training. In multiple phone calls with Biasiotto, we discussed the Visualization aspect and touched on the Kinesthetic area.

The book is not published anymore.

However, this one is...

41kNVXEcqjL.jpg

StrongFirst is proud to present the definitive text on achieving excellence in any sport through the power of your mind.

Amazon product ASIN B00AEGSUQQ
Dr Johnny Clay Johnson, PhD Psychology

Initially, I worked with Johnson at Texas A&M (working on his PhD) once a week, whos focus was on Self Hypnosis Visual Training in Sports.

My homework was to practice it before and after work; which I did.

Marlene Gogal, Hypnotherapist

Later I worked with Marlene on Visualization. In talking to her about it, I stated that it was hard me to see myself performing any of the Powerlifts.

She ask what went through my mind before and during the lifts. My reply was that I knew what it felt like when my technique was right.

The bar movement felt like it was gliding up on rails with heavy loads.

When my techiniques was off, it felt like it was not on the rails; more difficult and at times impossible to get it up and lock it out.

Gobal went in to how individual's learn...

1) Visual

2) Auditory

3) Kinesthetic

As in Kelton Mehls, PhD, CSCS Cueing The Athlete, Gobal Identified My Learning Style, which is for me is Kinesthetic

From then on, my Self Hypnosis sessions focued on the Kinesthetics of a movement.

Research

Thing like this irratate me; vague statements that with no references to subtantiate it.

Secondly, what "Education" are we specifically talking specifically about?

Doe it specifically addressing the various Cueing The Athelte of the article posted?

Take Home Message

Individual definitely learn in different ways, based on the research.

The Take Home Message is to identify the style that is the most effective for you or the individual that you are working with.

Research

Learning styles is a concept that is being reassessed across many fields in education research. This has been happening mainly in the past few years. An example, Learning Styles: Concepts and Evidence - PubMed Other key concepts like Grit (Duckworth) and Fixed and Growth mindset (Dweck) are also being questioned and have shown to lack replicability or be much more complex in application in educational settings. This is natural in many domains. In technology, it is referred to as the "Hype Cycle" Gartner hype cycle - Wikipedia and fields like education are prone to it often supported by books or popularizations in TED talks.

This doesn't mean that finding the most effective cue that works for an individual for a particular lift is not worthwhile or to notice the preferences of a trainee in how the teacher instructs. This is different from the strong version of learning style theory, which states that individuals only learn effectively in certain ways and must be taught based on their learning style for effective instruction.

Research

Learning styles is a concept that is being reassessed across many fields in education research. This has been happening mainly in the past few years. An example, Learning Styles: Concepts and Evidence - PubMed Other key concepts like Grit (Duckworth) and Fixed and Growth mindset (Dweck) are also being questioned and have shown to lack replicability or be much more complex in application in educational settings. This is natural in many domains. In technology, it is referred to as the "Hype Cycle" Gartner hype cycle - Wikipedia and fields like education are prone to it often supported by books or popularizations in TED talks.

This doesn't mean that finding the most effective cue that works for an individual for a particular lift is not worthwhile or to notice the preferences of a trainee in how the teacher instructs. This is different from the strong version of learning style theory, which states that individuals only learn effectively in certain ways and must be taught based on their learning style for effective instruction.
Coming from a family of teachers of various sorts, I find this very interesting. Thanks @guardian7

Coming from a family of teachers of various sorts, I find this very interesting. Thanks @guardian7

There is a replication "crisis" particularly but not limited to fields like psychology and education. But it is even happening in sciences as well. More social science studies just failed to replicate. Here’s why this is good.
Another problem is that the media get ahold of a concept which is intuitively satisfying, Growth Mindset is a good example, and even when the researcher's original research is more nuanced, the popularizations or market responses, consultants, etc. can oversimply or exaggerate the claims. Often there is a result that is statistically significant meaning unlikely just to be due to random chance, but the "effect size" or the degree to which it makes a difference does not match the headlines in the news. What Does Effect Size Tell You? - Simply Psychology

Getting back to strongfirst and exercise, we often see headlines comparing technique A to technique B but the difference or effect may not be worth the effort. Think of foam rolling, which was really hyped but the evidence for how effective it is weak at best. Foam rolling is a good example, not useless and may be worth doing for some purposes, but didn't live up to the hype.

"Overall, it was determined that the effects of foam rolling on performance and recovery are rather minor and partly negligible, but can be relevant in some cases (e.g., to increase sprint performance and flexibility or to reduce muscle pain sensation). Evidence seems to justify the widespread use of foam rolling as a warm-up activity rather than a recovery tool." A Meta-Analysis of the Effects of Foam Rolling on Performance and Recovery - PubMed

This feels key;
in educational settings
...it is a one to many setting versus a one on one, coaching setting.
I heard about it twenty years ago and it sounded good to me.
But I'm always open to seeing what others think.

This feels key;

...it is a one to many setting versus a one on one, coaching setting.
I heard about it twenty years ago and it sounded good to me.
But I'm always open to seeing what others think.

Yeah, good point. In some ways, it doesn't matter what is actually true. In a coaching setting, determining what the trainee will stick to and be motivated by and believe will be effective can have a placebo effect. It is hard to change peoples' beliefs about something they think they have an understanding of such as dieting or exercise or politics by facts or research alone. Ironically, this is a well supported research finding!

Back
Top Bottom