all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Blocks of S&S and ROP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Has anyone alternated blocks of S&S and ROP?

How long did you spend on each block?

How did it go?
IIRC, @LoneRider has been doing something similar.

Personally, I have just begun alternating ROP and KBSF Plan A/B (LCCJ) in two week blocks. It is kind of an A+A single bell version of ROTK. Currently in my second strength block (ROP), and I like it.

I would opt for 2 week blocks. The first week of each block should be a bit easier than the second.

Another idea could be to alternate S&S with IC (Iron Cardio), with 3-5 sessions per week, depending on recovery.

If you go for four week blocks, you should keep some maintenance practice of the side dish. (Like some easy S&S sessions on ROP variety days or 10-20 C&P singles with your ROP bell on S&S off-days.)

This podcast offers some interesting insights on block training:

And reading ROTK will also help you.

Has anyone alternated blocks of S&S and ROP?

How long did you spend on each block?

How did it go?
One thing I always planned to do, but never did, was doing S&S swings most days along with the original ROP pressing plan. You could do get ups on variety days.

Personally, I have just begun alternating ROP and KBSF Plan A/B (LCCJ) in two week blocks. It is kind of an A+A single bell version of ROTK. Currently in my second strength block (ROP), and I like it.

I would opt for 2 week blocks. The first week of each block should be a bit easier than the second.

Another idea could be to alternate S&S with IC (Iron Cardio), with 3-5 sessions per week, depending on recovery.

If you go for four week blocks, you should keep some maintenance practice of the side dish. (Like some easy S&S sessions on ROP variety days or 10-20 C&P singles with your ROP bell on S&S off-days.)

I have ROTK. I saw it recommended two week blocks.

Since getups train presses in a kind of sort of way, I wondered if that would affect the duration of the blocks. But I guess you don’t want too much time to pass between the S&S swing protocol even though ROP includes swings

Circa 2007-08 I was alternating something like 6-8 weeks of ROP and 2 weeks of the old swings and getups program minimum to deload.

What is the main goal? While doing this is definitely a good idea, knowing what you want to get out of it will help you streamline the process

The short answer is I want the benefits of both the getups in S&S and the presses/pullups in ROP.

Why not do TGU on the ROP variety days then?
That’s a thought. But I also think the 10x10 swings on S&S has a lot of merit. Someone’s probably going to tell me to pick one or the other and stick with it. If I had to pick one then it would be S&S.

I always found pressing to be a "use it or lose it" exercise. Do you want to do getups or do you want to get stronger in the press? Do you want to have your conditioning give you the ability to, at a minimum do 100 snatches in 5 minutes or do the 10 minute test?

As someone, who ran the ROP for a while with a 32 for 12 weeks, your shoulders NEED TO REST. You get strong on your days off as your body recuperates. Lose the TGU for 12 weeks. Do front squats or goblet squats on variety days.

10 x 10 is a bailout. Mental toughness and conditioning come from being able to finish heavy day, roll an 11 on the dice and banging out 220+ two hand swings. The beauty of rolling a 2 or a 3 on a snatch day, is you can give yourself a mini-test and not put the bell down.

The short answer is I want the benefits of both the getups in S&S and the presses/pullups in ROP.

You can do recharge type s and s sessions on variety day.

For context what size bells are you using for s and s? ROP?

I used the Rite of Passage alternating with the BJJ Fanatics Beginner KB program (built around the goblet squat, swing, and getup) on a routine basis until Army Reserve matters intervened and I have routine barbell access for a while.

So many programs to choose from, I want to do them all.
If you’ve seen the video of ETK, remember Pavel’s joke at the end of the video about the guy from the “old country” who moved to America; “Coffee or no coffee”. 200? varieties and he lost his mind.
I feel like that sometimes.

So many programs to choose from, I want to do them all.
If you’ve seen the video of ETK, remember Pavel’s joke at the end of the video about the guy from the “old country” who moved to America; “Coffee or no coffee”. 200? varieties and he lost his mind.
I feel like that sometimes.
Ah yes the Moscow on the Hudson reference

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom