all posts post new thread

Kettlebell blood donation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
I'm due to give blood the next couple of days. I'm a regular donor and usually take it easy for a couple of days and just get back into things thereafter. Just wandered what other forum members do, or have experienced, with adjusting their training if they are blood donors. I'm doing S&S pretty much everyday, so figured nothing for a couple of days and then just keep it all light, for the first week, reduce the get ups and stay aerobic at all times or even reduce the volume, or do nothing but mobility. I have my trusty heart rate monitor now to keep me in check as I think after my previous donations I've probably exercised at too high an intensity. Any thoughts, experiences appreciated, thank you.

I was a regular blood donor, too. I gave it 4-5 times a year. And then, (4years ago) I did not pass HB-test. I went to my doctor to analyze my blood, and it confirmed, that I was extreme iron deficient (this really makes you lame) I took iron capsules + vitamin c for a considerable period of time, to bring it up to normal levels, and paused with donation for maybe 1,5 years.
Then resumed to donation, but my last blood testing two months before showed that the levels got considerably low again. So I think will pause again with that. I really like to give my blood, but I now know definitely, that I have to be watchful with myself, because deficiency in iron really makes lethargic.
Regarding to training I did this the next day anyway but no extreme cardio. I never felt dizzy. When you feel you could train than you can do that I think (doctors said to me the next day is possible, but not extreme), and when you monitor yourself then you keep yourself in check. And as I know that you are doing s&s quite frequently, means that you are used to it, and if you plan to stay on the brakes anyway, there would be no problem. Just my opinion.

Last time I gave blood (June) I just took it light the next day, noticed I got light-headed with squats and swings. 2 days later seemed 95% back to normal, after that not much effect. I am due to go again, so, thanks for the reminder. Drink plenty of water...

Harald I used to always be borderline with the iron too, but lately I've been good. I think I eat more red meat now and that would be my guess as to why. It does seem to make a difference if you eat a good steak the day before - at least, that's what the blood donor staff tells me, and seems to work! Also I believe Vitamin C helps with absorption when you consume something with iron. And I am rapidly outspeaking my knowledge of this area, so I'll stop there. ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom