all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Blood Lactate / Swings OTM

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

David Smit

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hey everyone

Here’s some information I received that may be of interest

I did a set of 30 sets of 5R/5L swings with 24kg OTM - one of my sessions in prep for SFG 1

I took blood lactate levels at 20-25 mins so steady state/ equilibrium had definitely been achieved. I can say that neither the 5th or 25th felt more difficult. RPE probably a 5

Levels were 3.1,2.8,2.8,2.9 mmol/l respectively.

Certainly not at any AnT or LT but somewhere in between. Heart rate felt moderately elevated but nothing at threshold.

The only real challenge other than ensuring every rep counts for optimal
Form would have been the hand care.

Just a bit of information I thought might be useful.

I think it is a good load as the cells are consequently not being crushed by blood lactate/ acidosis. I’ll increase to 28kg soon.

I’ll keep posting more on this topic as I sense it fits in with the SF Endurance topics.

Dave

@Oscar
165-170
Which is 10-15 bpm below my anaerobic threshold. From previous testing on road bike and running threshold occurs somewhere around 185 reflecting somewhere around obla

It will be interesting to see how a 28 or 32kg feels, rpe,
Heart rate and the lactate response.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing David.

Out of interest, where would you put the 24kg bell in terms of your max - would a 32kg bell @ 5L 5R be there or thereabouts? Or higher?

@David Smit , interesting report. I did a similar session in the human performance lab one day. As I recall, my HR was lower, and my La was higher, around 4.0. I'll have to see if I can find it. I was doing sets of 1H swings.

I'm wondering, when and how exactly did you take the measurement? Mine was from the earlobe, about 30 seconds after setting the bell down, which was about halfway between the sets. Not sure how relevant it is to the reading, but curious how you went about it.

@Anna C
heart rates as you know vary person to person. my heart rates at 4 mmol/l would typically average 180 or so and that is something manageable for an hour. the only holdback for me at this point would certainly be hand care and potentially grip strength.

measurement was taken from the finger, a quick alcohol swab and then the result is available within 10 seconds using the lactate scout portable lactate analyzer that I have. I have used the lactate pro, the accusport lactate analyzer and can say the scout is the best so far given ease of use.

Labs are considerably more expensive, earlobe values can be tricky but the skill of the physiologist is critical and it sounds like you had all of the variables accounted for.

my interest here lies in
1. gaining some preliminary data using kettlebells because I have done hundreds of tests on endurance subjects (running, cycling, and swimming)
2. looking at progression over time (decrease in heart rate over time, increase in load, decrease in bla at respective loads
3. reliability of the lactate values - as i mentioned above, they were all very similar across the 5 minute period.

i am a bit of a geek with this stuff....

i will keep you posted (with an update this week hopefully!)

Very interesting, @David Smit, sounds like a good method especially if you are already familiar with La readings during endurance work and other more known conditions.

Would love to hear what you get for La readings on one of your snatch test prep or other more glycolytic sessions.

Very interesting, @David Smit, sounds like a good method especially if you are already familiar with La readings during endurance work and other more known conditions.

Would love to hear what you get for La readings on one of your snatch test prep or other more glycolytic sessions.
Hey Anna I’ll keep you posted. I am too am interested in the snatch levels.

Happy new year! 2018 is going to be super strong and awesome!

@Suggy3001
Sorry missed your question a few days ago.

Given today’s session with a 32kg I would say that it is near my max given the grip strength, hand care and other variables required to maintain optimal form. I did a swing set 20x10 alternating 10r for 1 minute and 10l OTM with lactates in the 4-5 mmol/l range and heart rates at 170 average. Lactated were taken between 10 and 18 minutes.

Steady increase from 3.5 to a max of 5mmol/l.

Swings were controlled and not eccentric given the 1 arm technique.

The limiter today was the grip strength with the 32.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom