all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Body depression

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gunsmoke

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey guys I just wanted some tips on a situation. As I have explained in the past I had lost over 70 plus pounds in a few months. I had aims of getting in great shape however things have gone awry.

I have real problems with my left shoulder and arm overall. I don’t know if they will ever be the same. I am currently in physical therapy yet it does not seem to be getting better. Idk if it is swimmers shoulder or tendonitis. This has canceled out a lot of things I dreamed of doing. I had plans on building strength and potentially getting back into amateur boxing and competing. All of that is out of the window if my shoulder does not get back in form.

I have been sadden by this im 24 years old supposed to be in my prime yet my body is betraying me. I was much stronger and faster in high school when I played football. I could snatch a 80 pound dumbbell off the ground easy then. My arm would shatter now. Im just ashamed how was I stronger as a boy than I am as a man?

I have recently regretted losing the weight somewhat because It just seems I had more overall strength and better body composition at 241. I feel life half a man in someways now. My regular life outside of athletic and physical endeavors is fine but this body failing thing is bothering me.

I know this might sound like a rant but honestly what should I do? Is it still possible for me to build strength? I lifted in high school but I naturally was just always strong. I never had to build strength. I was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol so I can not really eat to get strong. Only exercises I really do now is cardio yet that has caused muscle loss and lower levels of testosterone. I honestly think I have to accept maybe this just my life now.

When I was 22, I was in physical therapy for shoulder impingement, which eventually went to surgery. At the time, I had had constant low back pain for 7 years with a history of endplate fractures; neck pain; had torn my ACL in my knee and had it reconstructed and had developed chondromalacia patella from that; and I had developed patellofemoral pain in my other knee. I felt pretty broken. I remember sitting there doing my therapy and heard a middle aged lady near me say (to whom I don’t remember), that 10 years ago she never would have believed she would feel as good as she does now. I really needed to hear that.

Over a decade later and I didn’t give up. Strongfirst teachings and kettlebells have been a part of what has been helpful in that process. I am in much less pain, almost none, and move and feel much better. Let’s hope the same for you.

I've had rotator cuff problems and shoulder impingement on both shoulders at the age of 31 after some years of Crossfit and feeling great, then after one OC race I had this issue and I coudn't even wear a Shirt by myself.

Take it as it is, another step on your stair that you need to overcome, don't overthink it just keep going.

You said you had a problem and you are currently working with your physical therapy, trust the process, sleep and eat well, I kept my shoulders problem for almost two/three years and even now from time to time it just comes back.

Rehab takes time, be patience and focus on what you can do, not in the things you can't. Build your legs, do some carries (maybe weight vest), keep your core tight, you will raise like a phoenix if you want to.

Some injuries take time. I don't know what issues you may have beyond the shoulder issue, but I used to be a competitive swimmer w. bad shoulders and I can say that patience and due diligence was key to moving beyond it. I came across this meme recently and thought it was very apt. I wish I had seen it when I was in my 20s.

Attachments

• 199355277_10159401613580929_6030469359698162461_n.jpg
    199355277_10159401613580929_6030469359698162461_n.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 43
I had left shoulder problems for years. For a long time I thought I'd never be able to do a pushup again, or many other things. I persevered though and, after working with several people, I finally found a physical therapist who could identify what was going on. I finally found the right PT for what ailed me and currently have no limitations related to that shoulder. Tip - physical therapists are not equal, one might be able to help when another one couldn't.

Anyway, what I mean to say is don't give up and don't be afraid of getting a second or third or fourth opinion.

@Gunsmoke how long have you been in PT for the shoulder issue? Some issues take longer to sort out but consistency and persistance will get your there in time.

I was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol so I can not really eat to get strong. Only exercises I really do now is cardio yet that has caused muscle loss and lower levels of testosterone. I honestly think I have to accept maybe this just my life now.
Some advice, if it helps:

Having been through injuries and the aforementioned disorder, I understand that it can feel crushing when you can't do the things you are passionate about. Try to think of this as a problem that you have to deal with, or just something that is going on at the moment. Once we start saying things like "my life is . . . [insert negative things here]" we are identifying ourself with that negative thing, whatever it may be. I have been verrrryyyyy sloooooooowly overcoming a movement disorder with one of my hands, and at my worst it felt like the movement disorder was part of my identity. I learned to not let that be the case, and I urge you to do the same. Just do what you need to do right now, at this point in your life, and try not to tell yourself negative stories about how your life is. Try to focus on what you DO have control over.
Then adapt yourself to the situation to make some headway.

There are studies showing that training one limb can alos increase strength in the other. Might as well do some of that to keep that strength deficit low as you recover. You can make your core super strong, which will help you with, well, most everything. There are your legs, there's flexibility training....the list goes on.

As I have explained in the past I had lost over 70 plus pounds in a few months.
Give yourself some credit where it's due! Great work!

what should I do? Is it still possible for me to build strength? I lifted in high school but I naturally was just always strong. I never had to build strength. I was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol so I can not really eat to get strong. Only exercises I really do now is cardio yet that has caused muscle loss and lower levels of testosterone.
My two cents here is to seek out a qualified trainer and maybe a good dietician. It sounds like your body is going through a lot and you could benefit from some professional guidance. Maybe ask your PT for some guidance. Train what you can but be aware not to aggravate your injured side, or overtrain the good side.

You can 100% eat to get strong. You might just have to eat differently than you think. Do some research too. Inform yourself. Just for clarity's sake here, have you had your testosterone tested?

Lastly, people like this motivated me a ton when I was basically one-limbed. Note that he uses a harness to do heavy deadlifts!:

I reread this yesterday, and I hope that it could change the way you think about lifting and strength.

" If you think you are only strong if you can lift a certain number, whatever that number is, you will feel pretty weak most of the time. Strength is not a data point; it’s not a number. It’s an attitude.
I’ve lifted some heavy weights in my life and accomplished some pretty decent feats of strength and endurance. I’ve also accumulated some serious injuries and put some high miles on this frame. If I only thought of myself as strong relative to what I used to be able to squat, bench or deadlift, or how far I could run, swim, or cycle, I would have to look at myself as being much weaker now than in the past. That would be a mistake, and wrong. I can’t lift as much as I used to, but I am stronger than ever.
No matter how strong you are, there will always be someone stronger than you. Using only a number as the litmus test of whether you are strong or not is self-defeating. You will get older. You will not be able to continue to set personal all-time bests forever. But you can continue to get stronger mentally. You can adjust to whatever the environment is and challenge yourself to push past wherever you are at the moment, in any way you can, and feel good knowing you just made yourself a better man or woman."
- From "Simple and Sinister", Pavel Tsatsouline.

After that, have you considered to hired a good coach/personal trainer? It will help you a lot in terms of getting your strength back.

I was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol ...

High Cholesterol

This was addressed in another post. Rather than delve into the information previously presented, you appear to chose to accept it.

A breakdown was provide to you that demonstrated that your Cholesteorol Number are good.

Do your own research on the information presented and come to your own conclusions.

Cholesterol Production

Seventy precent of your cholesterol is produced by your body.

Decreasing Fat intake, especially Saturated Fat, only decrease Cholesterol Levels by approximately 10%.

The physician the instructed you to drop eating eggs to decrease you Cholersterol Reading doesn't appear to understand that.

Most physicians only have around 6 College Hours, at most, in Nutrition. Add to that, it was decades ago. So, they are working with outdated information. Yet, physician are experts in Nutrition, Pharmacology, Physical Therapy, Exercise Physiology, etc.

LDL and Saturated Fats

Saturated Fat increases LDL Cholesterol.

To reiterate, the LDL Number alone tell you NOTHING!

What you need to know is you Percentage of Particle A or Particle B.

HDL and Saturated Fat

Ironically, Saturate Fats also increase HDL.

Secondly, when a higher Saturated Fat is consumed, the body decreses its natural production of Cholesterol.

Often individual Cholesterol Level can decrease on a Higher Fat Diet, providing Carbohyrate intake is lowered.

Rant

Rather than rant or whine, get off your butt and research the inforamtion presented.

As former Baseball Coach Billy Martin once said, "It better to fall on your face going for the ball than fall bask on your butt waiting for it to come to you". In other word, do your homework.

so I can not really eat to get strong.
Not True

With a well formulated diet, you can regain your strength and become stronger.

Is it still possible for me to build strength?

Only exercises I really do now is cardio yet that has caused muscle loss and lower levels of testosterone

Cardio

The type of cardio you are performing may or may have created your muscle loss and decreased testosterone.

The primary issue was most likely your diet.

I honestly think I have to accept maybe this just my life now.

Your Choice

That is one way of dealing with the issue; less work involved.

Last edited:
Focus on what you CAN do, and explore those limits often but intelligently. Isometrics and light cardio are powerful tools for training around problems.

Part of any injury/recovery process is inflammation- induced depression. The injury causes it, is not just "feeling down" about your situation.

I can't say what will become of this injury, but I can say it probably won't be your last. Be patient but consistent, don't make things worse. I've had to train and rehab three wrist surgeries, degenerative cervical disks, fascia arthritis in my lower back hurt so much I burned myself repeatedly with hot water bottles, heel spurs so bad I was shopping for a cane.

Proceed as though you expect to recover.

don't overthink it just keep going.
Rehab takes time, be patience and focus on what you can do, not in the things you can't. Build your legs, do some carries (maybe weight vest),
I can say that patience and due diligence was key to moving beyond it.
If your PT can't diagnose anything and you aren't getting any better it might be time to see a different PT or even a Dr in sports medicine.
Try to focus on what you DO have control over...
Great Advice

As someone once said, ...

"Whether you think you can or you can, your right."

I can not really eat to get strong.

As per...

You can 100% eat to get strong. You might just have to eat differently than you think.

Cross Limb Training

training one limb can alos increase strength in the other. Might as well do some of that to keep that strength deficit low as you recover.

This works.

Last edited:
@Gunsmoke I can definitely relate to how you are feeling, I've been dealing with a nagging hamstring tendonitis that lasted 2 years the first time it came around 8 years ago and now has been back since last November. I've been in pain for the better part of the last 8 months, unable to train many of the things I used to do because everything irritated my tendons. That is on top of every other nagging pain and injury I've had these past 8 years. Including a rotator cuff+biceps tendonitis that lasted 2 years. That's when I was able to do a pistol for the first time.

In March, I rolled up my sleeves, dug into medical research to find a solution to my problem. I also focused on things I could do, I dropped body fat but maintained muscle mass by adjusting my diet, I worked on breathing and breath holds. I did whatever I could do pain free in terms of training, dropping all objectives besides doing something a few days a week and rehabbing my hamstring tendons. I went through 3 PTs and 1 sports doc. I ended up asking my family doc for a somewhat experimental treatment to help with my rehab after going through a lot of medical research. It wound up being a great treatment and I have been able to slowly get back to health and keep working my blue collar job without too much daily pain.

Don't despair and keep working to find a solution to your problems. You're still young, you just lack patience and determination right now.

Get Dave Whitley's book Superhuman You, it's free, get on his FB page and listen to his recorded live vids. It'll allow you to adjust your mental outlook on your situation and move forward. Mental training will get you stronger than physical training right now.

@Gunsmoke

I second the wise advice above.

- Make a list of all of the movements you CAN do (BW/KB/BB etc)

- Make a goal around improving 2-3 things you can affect.

Maybe explore OS resets (Belly breathing, nodding, rolling, crawl)?

# Most importantly - use how you're feeling right now - to give you a reason to move and become stronger - whilst your shoulder heals / improves.

Everyone here has said some great things and given great advice in this thread so far. I can only tell my story and what I learned, hoping it can help you.

When I was in high school, basketball was my life. 24/7 I was trying to find something to help me get better. Shooting workouts, ball handling, strength training, track workouts, visualization, everything I could think of.

My junior year of high school paid off and I averaged 20+ points per game, was a first-team all-star, and had the school scoring record in my sights. I trained super hard that summer, was in the best shape of my life, and felt no one could stop me.

Then, during a pre-season workout, I took an awkward fall jumping for a rebound and destroyed my lower back. I never went to get a diagnosis just out of fear of not being able to play. I could hardly walk, I couldn’t twist, I couldn’t bend over. Every step was agony. I still played that year and had a decent season. I averaged 13 points per game, scored my 1,000th point, and we won a league championship. But I was nowhere near my potential.

This injury plagued me the whole season. Mentally, I was as sharp as ever, but my body wouldn’t allow me to do what I wanted it to, what it had done before. But I had to find a way to help us win.

I started changing how I played to allow me to be useful without having to use too much athleticism, started talking and teaching a lot more on and off the court, and really focused on bringing everyone else up. I honestly believe that’s the only way we were able to win the championship that year.

Shortly after the season, I began weight training again. Just doing what I could. At first I couldn’t deadlift anything due to pain. So, I deadlifted off of a high platform. A couple months later, my back was much better and I could deadlift off the floor. The next year, I totaled 455kg (165kg squat, 115kg bench, 175kg deadlift), without any back pain!

The point of this story is, focus on what you can do now and change your mindset to: there is something I can do right now that will make me better. Then, when you’re injury free, you will be that much better than before.

What you are feeling is 100% genuine. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
You have family and friends that Need you and you Need to feel better. So, let's focus on what you can do for yourself immediately.

See a psychologist. You need to rewrite this story in your head so you can move forward. At the moment the story you are telling yourself is making you miserable.

See a better Physiotherapist. I reckon 80% of them are useless. I finally found one who is not and he's the only one I will see.

See a sports medicine doctor. It sounds like you need surgery.

Want to exercise? Drag a heavy sled. Get a weight vest and climb a hill. Squats. Lunges. Core.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom