all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bodybuilding

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Correct me if I'm wrong but i also remember Oliver's study that showed clusters a closer 2nd in hypertrophy to traditional had both groups using the same %1RM for weight. I thought he mentioned wondering about even better results with higher % use for cluster sets which would be possible with 8*5 instead of 4*10. Clusters for the win!

Below is the "Cliff Notes" Abstract of Oliver's research. The full research article is online, as well.

Acute Response to Cluster Sets in Trained and Untrained Men

Abstract
Purpose:
In traditional sets (TRD) repetitions are performed continuously, whereas cluster sets (CLU) allow a brief rest between groups of repetitions. We investigated the acute mechanical, metabolic, and hormonal response to CLU in men.

Methods: Twelve resistance-trained (RT) and 11 untrained (UT) men performed TRD (4 × 10 repetitions with 2 min rest) and CLU [4 × (2 × 5) with 1.5 min rest between sets 30 s rest between clusters] at 70 % 1RM back squat in random order. Seven days separated trials. Average power and time under tension (TUT) were calculated. Blood was sampled pre, sets 1, 2, and 3; immediate post-exercise, 5, 15, 30, 60 min post-exercise for blood lactate, total testosterone (TT), free testosterone (FT), growth hormone (GH), and cortisol.

Results: CLU produced greater average power at an increasing number of repetitions over each set with greater total volume load. TUT was shorter for RT and lower for CLU in repetitions 1, 6, 7, 8. Blood lactate was higher Set 2 through 30 min in TRD. RT had higher TT; however, the time course was similar between RT and UT. TT and FT increased immediate post-exercise and remained elevated 30 min in both conditions. GH was significantly greater during TRD with a similar pattern observed in both conditions. Cortisol was significantly lower at 30 min in CLU.

Conclusion: CLU allowed greater total volume load, shorter TUT, greater average power, similar anabolic hormonal response, and less metabolic stress. The acute response was similar despite training status.

Cross Referencing

Cluster Sets - Current Methods for Introducing Variations to Training Sets, with Greg Haff

Dr Greg Haff's presentation goes more in to the use of Cluster Sets for increasing Power Output. Haff touches on Oliver research

Is it possible to actually build muscle using a quick ten-fifteen second set approach?

Yes. The time under tension doesn't have to in long series. Total volume ( total TUT ) is going to matter most.

The quickest bulk up I ever had was doing 10 series of 3 pull ups, with 4 minutes rest in between thrice a week. I'd say it was about 9 seconds of TUT per set.

muscle mass you will find in high TOTAL volume. in my experience, long and '' boring'' routines :p

I'm sure this method will work, but for most people who do not already have a solid physique it will be a very slow go.

I'm no expert on Cluster Sets but found for muscle building I had to keep the rest periods very short, which hampered power output. I also had to reduce the rep count per repeat to compensate. It may be that it works best with some very specific exercises that I was not using.

Again, if you already have a solid build a lot of approaches will work, but in my experience something like the DeLorme/Watkins method paired with some form of set extender reliably works better.
Get in a bunch of volume at relatively low intensity of effort followed by a last set at RPE 9 or 10 with a relatively heavy load. Rest/Pause with a heavier load (arguably a form of Cluster, or vice versa) is the most effective set extending strategy out there. But without some volume it doesn't work as well - this is where the dogmatic HIT approach falls flat for most. Drop sets increase metabolic stress but lack high tension - OK for accessory work but not ideal.

Nutrition plays a huge role in this, in fact it is the foundation of any sort of mass gain, lean or dirty. No approach will work if this is off.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

What do you think of this article?

There seems plenty of rest between the KB swings ballistic movement but aren't the number of reps a tad on the high side?

I found that T-Nation article in my previous post on an excellent blog written by Michael Deskevich with some great information on AGT. Michael himself says of the piece " Looks like AGT-style programming his starting to hit the mainstream... " so he obviously thinks it fits within the parameters of AGT but I am confused by the high number of KB swings.

Below is the "Cliff Notes" Abstract of Oliver's research. The full research article is online, as well.

Acute Response to Cluster Sets in Trained and Untrained Men

Abstract
Purpose:
In traditional sets (TRD) repetitions are performed continuously, whereas cluster sets (CLU) allow a brief rest between groups of repetitions. We investigated the acute mechanical, metabolic, and hormonal response to CLU in men.

Methods: Twelve resistance-trained (RT) and 11 untrained (UT) men performed TRD (4 × 10 repetitions with 2 min rest) and CLU [4 × (2 × 5) with 1.5 min rest between sets 30 s rest between clusters] at 70 % 1RM back squat in random order. Seven days separated trials. Average power and time under tension (TUT) were calculated. Blood was sampled pre, sets 1, 2, and 3; immediate post-exercise, 5, 15, 30, 60 min post-exercise for blood lactate, total testosterone (TT), free testosterone (FT), growth hormone (GH), and cortisol.

Results: CLU produced greater average power at an increasing number of repetitions over each set with greater total volume load. TUT was shorter for RT and lower for CLU in repetitions 1, 6, 7, 8. Blood lactate was higher Set 2 through 30 min in TRD. RT had higher TT; however, the time course was similar between RT and UT. TT and FT increased immediate post-exercise and remained elevated 30 min in both conditions. GH was significantly greater during TRD with a similar pattern observed in both conditions. Cortisol was significantly lower at 30 min in CLU.

Conclusion: CLU allowed greater total volume load, shorter TUT, greater average power, similar anabolic hormonal response, and less metabolic stress. The acute response was similar despite training status.

Cross Referencing

Cluster Sets - Current Methods for Introducing Variations to Training Sets, with Greg Haff

Dr Greg Haff's presentation goes more in to the use of Cluster Sets for increasing Power Output. Haff touches on Oliver research

Oliver's study used 2 days. An upper body push day and a lower body + upper body pull day. Is this common? Having read of the importance of balance between push pull squat hinge; and of not overdoing your pushing for health reasons, this surprised me. Pushing is my favorite so I like the idea but Id not seen that program split.

Oliver's study used 2 days. An upper body push day and a lower body + upper body pull day. Is this common?

Push-Pull Days

I am not sure why Oliver chose this method. There are a multitude ways training.

It is similar to let's say driving home from work. There are various routes you can take to get home that will get you there and take the same amount of time.

My training revolves around a Lower Body Push Day (Squats), Upper Body Push Day (Pressing/Pushing Movements), Lower Body Pull Day (Good Mornings, Kettlebell Swings) and Upper Body Pull Day (Rows/Lat Pulldowns, etc)

Having read of the importance of balance between push pull squat hinge; and of not overdoing your pushing for health reasons, this surprised me. Pushing is my favorite so I like the idea but Id not seen that program split.

Balanced Training

As you stated, the main thing is to work the opposing muscle group equally.

An imbalance between the opposing muscle groups (agonist and antagonist) at some point leads to Injuries.

Examples

In the Bench Press, the agonist muscles are the pecs, anterior deltoid, and triceps. The antagonist muscle are the lats, posterior deltoid and
Rotator Cuff Muscles.

In the Lat Pullldown, the agonist muscles are the lats, posterior deltoid and rotator cuff muscles. The antagonist muscle are the pecs, anterior deltoid and rotator cuff muscles.

Baseball Pitchers

There is some interesting research that looked at why some Baseball Pitchers had long careers and some has short ones.

One of the primarily reason Baseball Pitcher had long careers was strong Rotator Cuff Muscles; it prevented them from "Throwing their arm out:.

Baseball Pitchers who had short careers had weaker Rotator Cuff Muscles; they "Threw their arm out".

Emmett Smith's Hamstring Injuries

Smith was a Football Running Back. Smith had numerous Hamstring Injuries.

Smiths problem was his Quads Strength was greater than his Hamstring Strength.

His Quads produced forces that overloaded his Hamstrings.

Last edited:
I think it depends on where you are at currently, what your goals are and what your natty/enhanced status is.

Here I am more important about the first 2.

Ivan Stoitsov and Lu Xioajun do have great traps, quads and posterior chains. However is it your goal to look like a weight lifter? If so there are ways to obtain a similar physique more efficiently.

Is your goal to look like Ross Edgley? I know Ross personally and we both trained out of Loughborough U for a bit. As well as him coming to Lymphstone when I was a section commander there. Beleive me he did A LOT of conventional powerlifting and bodybuilding style training. As well as completely overhauling his training for varying physical pursuits. However he incorporated MANY tools, not just one tool like bodyweight.

But what do YOU want? What is YOUR goal physique? Post a physique pic and a pic of your goal physique. It will allow us to better assist you.

But what do YOU want? What is YOUR goal physique? Post a physique pic and a pic of your goal physique. It will allow us to better assist you.

My thinking is you need to have an idea how much lean weight you plan on gaining. This pretty much defines the goal. If you honestly don't know how much and just want to increase mass fairly rapidly, that will work too, but you should have a basic idea that guides the start.
A - Then plan your diet
B - Plan your mode/exercise selection
C - Plan your set/rep/load strategy (B&C sometimes have to be planned as a pair)
D - Plan your intermediate/longer term strategy.

Unrelated question re Cluster sets to traditional, it states " GH was significantly greater during TRD" but the abstract doesn't show just how much. I wonder if this has implications for female physique/rec athletes of both genders. In men Gh doesn't seem to do a lot for strength, but does influence mass, as well a host of non-muscular related function.

My thinking is you need to have an idea how much lean weight you plan on gaining. This pretty much defines the goal. If you honestly don't know how much and just want to increase mass fairly rapidly, that will work too, but you should have a basic idea that guides the start.
A - Then plan your diet
B - Plan your mode/exercise selection
C - Plan your set/rep/load strategy (B&C sometimes have to be planned as a pair)
D - Plan your intermediate/longer term strategy.

Unrelated question re Cluster sets to traditional, it states " GH was significantly greater during TRD" but the abstract doesn't show just how much. I wonder if this has implications for female physique/rec athletes of both genders. In men Gh doesn't seem to do a lot for strength, but does influence mass, as well a host of non-muscular related function.

GH is great for mass and strength both indirectly. It converts to IGF which is responsible for hyperplasia within the muscle. In the long term this leads to more individual muscle fibres to hypertrophy.

However short term spikes in hormones are pretty inconsequential.

In refards to planning in all of the above topics. A solid plan is good but the ability to adjust a plan I would rate as more important.

For example you've used the bench press as your primary mass builder for your pecs. You have built thickness but you have noticed a complete lack of thickness and development in the upper pecs. How do you adjust the plan to address this weakness?

Overly simplified example, but I feel like it illustrates the point very well. Me personally I find bodybuilding (in the stereotypical sense) to be FAR more complicated than getting stronger. I still have a lot to learn about how they manipulate training, diet, rest, pharmacology etc to build the physiques they do.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom