all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Bodymax Barbell

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DavThew

Level 6 Valued Member
I'm currently working on a bit of a budget (only person earning in the house, paying my partner's way through University as she decided to go back for more study etc.) and want to start deadlifting properly again.

Bodymax have the following barbell for sale on amazon for only £40 more than a years gym membership would cost me. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodymax-Ol...0&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=olympic+barbell&psc=1

Has anyone used a barbell from bodymax before? Literally all I would be doing with it would be DLs and side presses. In the end it's a heavy thing that is used for lifting up. With a 300kg weight capacity it seems alright, and my DL is defiantly no where near 140kg at the moment. The only reason I would be paying for a gym membership would be so I can deadlift - so it seems like a reasonable trade off.

I've never used any bodymax stuff and was just wanting to find out about build quality. That said just by writing this post I am selling myself on the idea of buying it, unless someone tells me they are fragile and unreliable.

Thanks!

I just read the reviews - it seems the 20 kg plates are smaller in outside diameter than is standard.

If I were you, I'd consider looking around for a used weight set locally - should be attainable for the same money and net you a higher quality. At a bare minimum, if you get this, purchase also a pair of 20 kg plates in the standard size. That will also take care of the problem of deadlifting more than 140 kg - you'll be up to 180.

I just looked on my local craigslist and found a 300 lb. set (45 lb. bar + 255 lbs. of plates), used, of course, for $225.

-S-

You'll get a much better price if you can find something for sale on eBay or Gumtree in your area. Prices on Gumtree seem to be especially low for that sort of thing so it'd be well worth a look before buying something brand new.

Thank you for your suggestions - Used barbells do seem like a better idea than something over lower quality!

Thank you for your suggestions - Used barbells do seem like a better idea than something over lower quality!

Absolutely, and used gear doesn't depreciate much either so if you decide you want to upgrade, you should be able to sell the old bar and/or weights for more or less what you paid for it.

I've got a bodymax barbell - in my opinion it's fine for the job, straight, pretty stiff, knurling fine on your hands and the sleeves spin OK (bushes not bearings I think).

I've had mine 18 months or so, it probably gets used on average 5 days a week (me + Jr). Only signs of wear are on the chrome plating to the sleeves.

As Steve says the plates are small so I would invest in a pair of 20 kg bumpers, but then you're good to go.

I don't think the Amazon price is anything special - you can get the same price and a broader range from

Weight & Dumbbell Kits at Powerhouse Fitness

I bought from them and delivery was fine too.

I think you can blag a 10% discount by signing up your email address as well.

I've found most bodymax kit to be OK - their rubber mats are solid and even their kettlebells are OK - not as nice as Wolverson but fine and cheaper.

@krg thanks for that review and the link! I'm happy with bushes over bearings - not sure I will have any plans for the Olympic lifts ever coming into my training.

The option for financing also solves a big problem with money as well - as it would cost the same per month as the gym attached to our teaching hospital which I can get for a reduced rate (~£20)

You've made the decision much easier!

Thanks again!

Reactions: krg
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom