all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight Calf Exercise

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

movestrength

Level 4 Valued Member
What are your thoughts on running on tip toes rather than flat footed as a calf exercise?

I am now 210lbs up from 190bs with the StrongFirst teachings and I am building muscle. I am also trying to build the calves to be strong as well.

My friend started doing 500 calf raises and his calves have put several inches on.

What are your thoughts on running on tip toes rather than flat footed as a calf exercise?

I am now 210lbs up from 190bs with the StrongFirst teachings and I am building muscle. I am also trying to build the calves to be strong as well.

My friend started doing 500 calf raises and his calves have put several inches on.
500 in one go? That would be a mental task as well as a physical one.

Richard

Hello,

IMHO, it depends on the type of shoes you are using : regular running / trailing shoes, or minimalist shoes ?

As far as joints are concerned, the running style (toe or heel) will place stress in different part, but will not eliminate it.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Just make sure you go slow and don't pop an achilles tendon if you go out running on your tippy toes.

Joking aside, if you run in minimalist/barefoot shoes you usually default to a mid-foot or forefoot stride that will get your calves working. But here again it takes a transition period. I never made it past the 15min mark with my VFF. I had massive DOMS for days after each run, even on short ones.

I would not run on my tip toes. This could cause all sorts of problems.
Do calf raises on blocks. Weighted. Relatively High Rep. Toe in/toe neutral/toe out variations.
Or ride a bike lots...
(or take up ice climbing...)

I have ankle joint issues and i can’t do calf raises (or jumping, running). That limits my calf training possibilities a lot. So what else can i do, any suggestions? It is winter, can’t bike ride.

Running

it will increase crease the calf.

This is another effective method.

A slightly better – yet silly looking - way to train your calf muscles

1607950427065.png

Hello,

IMHO, it depends on the type of shoes you are using : regular running / trailing shoes, or minimalist shoes ?

As far as joints are concerned, the running style (toe or heel) will place stress in different part, but will not eliminate it.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I wear Reebok Nano X but I also have a pair of barefoot shoes, will they condition the feet? I haven’t worn them often yet.

Thank you.

Running

it will increase crease the calf.

This is another effective method.

A slightly better – yet silly looking - way to train your calf muscles

View attachment 12147
Hmm, how about straight leg hopping for 5 minutes twice a week? I don’t want to burn glyogen during a bulk and I’m coming up to 100KG, running is tough on the joints.

I like the TSC (time static contraction) calf exercise. Stand facing a wall and lean forward to put some tension on your calf. You can stand on a folded towel or rolled yoga mat to give a bit more stretch. Aim to contract the muscle for 90 seconds. The first 30, at "50%", the next 30 at "70-80%", and the last 30 as "hard as you dare". You can do this with singularly or both calves at once. I find it very useful, and much less time consuming that 500 calf raises.

I like the TSC (time static contraction) calf exercise. Stand facing a wall and lean forward to put some tension on your calf. You can stand on a folded towel or rolled yoga mat to give a bit more stretch. Aim to contract the muscle for 90 seconds. The first 30, at "50%", the next 30 at "70-80%", and the last 30 as "hard as you dare". You can do this with singularly or both calves at once. I find it very useful, and much less time consuming that 500 calf raises.

Have you used this for a while? How has it helped ankle mobility, muscle tone etc?

Richard

Have you used this for a while? How has it helped ankle mobility, muscle tone etc?

Richard
I have been on a "full on assault" on my ankle mobility, so I'm sure it helps some in that regard... however the biggest difference maker for me regarding mobility has been this which I would highly recommend:

I can't really speak to muscle tone as it isn't a super goal of mine (looking at strength and aesthetic will follow).

Calf raises on stairs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom