all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight Evolution by Daniel Vadnal

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@305pelusa I know you know your bodyweight stuff.

During ring dips, should my hands be pointed outwards or inwards? I'm reading conflicting information (and seeing conflicting pictures).

It seems maybe they should be pointed outwards at the top and as you descend, more parallel to the body and then inwards at the bottom, reversing on the way up. Is that at all correct?

Top: Ideally outwards at the top as that will strengthen that biceps tendon in a way few exercises can. In the beginning, it's OK to just have them parallel at the top if it's too hard though.

Bottom: The standard dip has them parallel at the bottom. However, you can also have them outwards. This will shift the stress to the biceps and feel like a Back Lever/Korean Dip hybrid. You can also have them inwards and slightly out, this is known as a Bulgarian Dip and is one of the first steps towards the Iron Cross.

99% of people should just build up to having them mostly parallel throughout the entire rep, with the turned-out support at the top (as you said on your last paragraph).

@305pelusa Solid info, thanks for the reply.

One more thing. Is it ok to have the rings touching your forearms (if your hands were at 6 o'clock they touch my forearms at about 2 o'clock) at any point or is that frowned upon?

@305pelusa Solid info, thanks for the reply.

One more thing. Is it ok to have the rings touching your forearms (if your hands were at 6 o'clock they touch my forearms at about 2 o'clock) at any point or is that frowned upon?
Whoah that took me a while to get. The ring touches where your radius is (as opposed to the ulna) you mean?

Contact is fine and probably even unavoidable. What you want to avoid is pulling the bottom part of the rings (where you're grabbing them) inwards while pressing your forearms outwards against the rings/straps (effectively "resting" against them). Meaning, the ring must be totally perpendicular to the floor. If you've ever seen high rep ring dips in XFit done for time, that's what they do. Not that that's bad; if it's fair game and part of your sport, you should do it like that (like kipping Pull-ups). But for general strength, it's just taking away intensity.

1) I have "Get Strong" and have read it, I think it's basically "Starting Strength for bodyweight training". Thinking of giving it a run once I make "Simple" to switch things up.

2) I like Vadnal, he has some good stuff on youtube but as others have said his price point on these programs is bonkers. Also, I wish he would just do a "real book" not one of these janky e-book programs with low quality videos that you can get for the price of 6-7 ebooks.

3) I'm looking forward to the SFB user course in NH this October, but not looking forward to the weather that's going to come after :eek:

1) I have "Get Strong" and have read it, I think it's basically "Starting Strength for bodyweight training".
How so?

2) I like Vadnal, he has some good stuff on youtube but as others have said his price point on these programs is bonkers. Also, I wish he would just do a "real book" not one of these janky e-book programs with low quality videos that you can get for the price of 6-7 ebooks.
I agree with you in general but do respectfully disagree slightly.
The way I see it is that when I buy his ebooks, I'm supporting him as well. I'm supporting his channel. If he charges twice as much for his programs than Al Kavadlo, but puts out 10 times as much free programs/videos of technique/programming advice out there, then guess who I think is overcharging his stuff?

Remember it's also about quality. Though I'm a big Al fan, BWE is quite simply a better program than the stuff he has in every way I can think of. You might be more excited to snag a 25 dollar copy of a full book like Raising the Bar; but if my progress is five times better with a 70 dollar "janky" ebook, which one do you think I'm gonna get?

Hopefully that makes sense. That's just the way I see it.

@305pelusa

re: Get Strong/Starting Strength comparison--- I think that Get Strong establishes a foundation and builds off of it effectively in a manner similar to Starting Strength. Just my opinion.

To the second point: I see you have a photo of yourself doing a press handstand in your profile picture and from that I can extrapolate that your gymnastic skills are much more advanced than mine, because, well my handstands are a sorry pile of burning tires at this point. To elaborate on the point, what would be worse? Grabbing BWE and getting discouraged because you can't complete the skills or doing Get Strong (or another more beginner focused program) first to at least get "in the game" to the level of completing BWE effectively.

Also, I like reading books from the Kindle reader app on the phone, so that's a thing.

To elaborate on the point, what would be worse? Grabbing BWE and getting discouraged because you can't complete the skills or doing Get Strong (or another more beginner focused program) first to at least get "in the game" to the level of completing BWE effectively
Since the hardest skill in BWE is the Pull-up and you can do those, I disagree with your logic that BWE would discourage you specifically. There are L-sits and HSPUs, but you can simply regress them if you want.

But yes, if Pull-ups were a problem, BWE would be discouraging and you will want something easier to start calisthenics with. Agreed :)

Also, I like reading books from the Kindle reader app on the phone, so that's a thing.

I see. I just use the regular reader app on my phone for BWE, but if you specifically like them in the Kindle reader app, then you'll want a Kindle ebook. Fair enough.

Grabbing BWE and getting discouraged because you can't complete the skills or doing Get Strong (or another more beginner focused program) first to at least get "in the game" to the level of completing BWE effectively.
I like Al and Get Strong, but just so that everyone knows, the "Recommended Routine" from reddit will get you to the same level as Get Strong, but for free.

I do like that Reddit "Recommended Routine" has a free user-friendly app as well....for those that are into such

I like the statics at the beginning of the Reddit Recommenced Routine. Several of them seem to help my shoulder and I had already been looking for a way to fit them into my workouts.

Startbodyweight is very similar to the reddit routine, but is's focus is more on strength/hypertrophy than on gymnastics (no handstands, HLR instead of L-Sits). There are great warmup and stretching protocols. I did it for a long time, but with paired sets, as in reddit's routine. It worked great for me and also my wife and two my friends. All were happy with this program and didn't want to try anything else :)

Start Bodyweight Training: Start Bodyweight basic routine

I remind everyone that our focus at StrongFirst isn't on exercises progressions but on understanding the principles of strength and applying them to a few, well-chosen exercises with appropriate regressions and progressions. All of our materials and courses - across bodyweight, kettlebell, and barbell - focus on the same principles, examined and implemented in great detail, and taught in a way that ensures safe and effective training.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom